Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: Woz ()
Date: November 7, 2023 01:07

Elmo Lewis
ABB pales in comparison to HD.

I haven't put ABB on in ten years. For me there is simply no favorable comparison between the former and the latter.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 7, 2023 05:30

goingmad
Totally agree, in my top ten as well. IMHO better than Black and blue, Iorr and ER.

I have to say that AT THE MOMENT I’m enjoying this more than anything post- Exile.

There’s more to this album that I love than on anything since 1972. So it’s easily in the middle of my top 10. But will it be so after (likely) the shine wears off?

Rod

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: November 7, 2023 10:07

DandelionPowderman
Steen G
Idorh

But we have to be honest , Keith has problems with his fingers due to rheumatism. It can be numb with him, but it still limits fluid and fast playing. It's not from today, it's been like that for years. I assume most of the long solos on HD are Ron's. Furthermore, I don't underestimate Keith he is extremely important for intros and melodies mix and rhythm playing and declarer. Therefore with this rheumatism of Keith and ages of the band that we still have such a brilliant Rolling Stones album now in 2025. And not only that there is already literally a 2nd album waiting. Lovely enjoyment in my old age with this simple but exciting music.

From what i have seen it is mainly his righthand fingers that has issues. Left hand seems to in a better condition.
And from a remark from Mick: all mixes pass Keith for a final touch. Actually Mick said something about that it took a few month with this one.

Not sure If you had a close look, then smiling smiley

This picture isn't accurate it's exaggerated, if you look at Keiths hands on The Jimmy Fallon Show they are strong hands and fingers with no visible restrictions from them, they seem better than for a long time.
Aa I've said before Keiths fingers have to some extent got better recently, i refer to the last show on the last tour in Berlin, he had no problems, and for posters to assume he can't play fast now so therefore all the fast playing must be Ronnie on HD is false.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 7, 2023 12:42

I'm glad Keith can still play rhythm guitar and bring good ideas. My wife has it just like Keith, there's nothing to be done about it. I think Keith is at peace with his disability. Ron does a great job on all of HD's fast solos.

Date: November 7, 2023 13:07

Idorh
I'm glad Keith can still play rhythm guitar and bring good ideas. My wife has it just like Keith, there's nothing to be done about it. I think Keith is at peace with his disability. Ron does a great job on all of HD's fast solos.

Sorry to hear that, Keith said his fingers don't cause pain now.
Keith plays solos well with those fingers, watch him with the Winos at the New York City benefit last year, did a brilliant BTMMR at

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 7, 2023 13:29

His playing over the years has adapted to accommodate the condition with his fingers.

There's more to great guitar playing than fast finger gymnastics.

Taste, timing, touch and great tone are all things that keith has retained in spades.

Date: November 7, 2023 15:04

Fortunately, the Rolling Stones are a group and not individuals. Keith will find his way with the boys.

Date: November 7, 2023 15:56

Idorh
Fortunately, the Rolling Stones are a group and not individuals. Keith will find his way with the boys.

Actually he finds his way with anyone he performs with, the crap written on here about Keith is so false and disrespectful, ie his disability, it's nonsense, he was far better than Ronnie on the last tour, do posters actually watch Keith's performances.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2023 16:11

keefriffhards
Idorh

Actually he finds his way with anyone he performs with, the crap written on here about Keith is so false and disrespectful, ie his disability, it's nonsense, he was far better than Ronnie on the last tour, do posters actually watch Keith's performances.

Keith does an awesome job with the hands he has to work with...but...COME ON!

Look at his hands. You're in absolute denial (and by that I'm not saying a river in Africa) if you think this doesn't hamper his ability. Of course it does and that isn't false or disrespectful in the slightest. It's age.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 7, 2023 16:14

treaclefingers
keefriffhards
Idorh

Look at his hands. You're in absolute denial (and by that I'm not saying a river in Africa) if you think this doesn't hamper his ability. Of course it does and that isn't false or disrespectful in the slightest. It's age.

He also talked about in a recent interview and how it affects his playing.

Date: November 7, 2023 16:18

treaclefingers
keefriffhards
Idorh

Did you watch Keith with the Winos last year in New York played better than for decades also towards the end of the Stones tour last year, of course his fingers hamper him but this goes back as far as the mid 90's, it hasn't stopped his solos as suggested, when Keith's in the mood he can still play well, Ronnie doesn’t cover Keith's parts, not once ever.

Can someone, anyone show me Ronnie playing a Keith solo???
It's never happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-07 16:21 by keefriffhards.

Date: November 7, 2023 17:15

There's no shame in it, Keith is still very important with writing and creating intros and ideas. With his age and numb fingers, he still plays pretty well, but he really leaves the solos to Ron. With their last performance for their new album HD, you could clearly see that Keith was at peace with Ron taking the lead. Anyway now in 2023 a wonderful Stones album, I never expected this gem again. And knowing that there are still 11 brand new songs waiting.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: November 7, 2023 17:51

Keith is still playing solos: Angry, Tell me straight, and Rolling stone blues (there is a part of the song that could be a solo). In dreamy skies Ronnie and Keith both share great licks through the whole song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-07 17:57 by goingmad.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 7, 2023 18:17

The thing is, Keith has adapted his playing to his condition quite well. He is quite aware of his limitations and what he can still do and knows where he can still shine.

Date: November 7, 2023 18:19

Furthermore, Keith is very important to the band though, he will play solos in his way just like on "sympathy for the devil," but that fluidity is gone. But Keith is very useful, as I mentioned for intros and melody, and don't forget that Keith is the only one who can direct and influence Mick. Even though he has rheumatism in his fingers and are numb, he will always leave his mark on every album.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: November 7, 2023 18:56

You continued to speak bullshit Keef Riffhard,Keith has,nt been able to play a desent solo for many years.Rhytm guitar he is playing very good,but solo no not anymore.Ron has usually play the solos for many years

Date: November 7, 2023 19:25

harlem shuffle
You continued to speak bullshit Keef Riffhard,Keith has,nt been able to play a desent solo for many years.Rhytm guitar he is playing very good,but solo no not anymore.Ron has usually play the solos for many years

I'm fully aware of Keith's limitations, he does however lift the band when he's on form, the point I'm making is Ronnie has never played Keith's solos or intros, if he did he might find Keith's guitar coming towards him rapidly in the direction of his head.

Look friend, you don't like me saying Mick isn't as good as he was so don't rub it in at every oppertunity, let's all play nice and fair and respect the place.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: November 7, 2023 19:58

I only say that Keith is not able to play that solos anymore,because of the problems he has with hes fingers over many years.On rythm guitar he is still able to play very good.But you alsov said that Ron Wood isn,t able to play Keith,s solos.I think he is.You also said this is a soloalbum from Mick,absolutely not true.Keith has done a lots of job in this album

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 7, 2023 20:21

So all the media hoopla seems to have died away...are there any chart numbers for week 2 ?

Has UMG already given up on the promotion ?! No "Mess It Up" single/video ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 7, 2023 20:56

Idorh
Stones are No 1 for me, beyond that I am a fan of Keith and Charlie.
But we have to be honest , Keith has problems with his fingers due to rheumatism. It can be numb with him, but it still limits fluid and fast playing. It's not from today, it's been like that for years. I assume most of the long solos on HD are Ron's. Furthermore, I don't underestimate Keith he is extremely important for intros and melodies mix and rhythm playing and declarer. Therefore with this rheumatism of Keith and ages of the band that we still have such a brilliant Rolling Stones album now in 2025. And not only that there is already literally a 2nd album waiting. Lovely enjoyment in my old age with this simple but exciting music.

You should have posted this in the new New Album thread winking smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 7, 2023 21:07

Hacney Diamonds songs I wish they make it to a future setlist routine

Angry
Get Close
Depending on You
Whole Wide World
Live by the Sword
Sweet Sounds
Rolling Stone

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2023 22:07

gotdablouse
So all the media hoopla seems to have died away...are there any chart numbers for week 2 ?

Has UMG already given up on the promotion ?! No "Mess It Up" single/video ?

#13 in the US.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 7, 2023 22:11

13 is damn good for second week

Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 7, 2023 22:15

The Rolling Stones’ Hackney Diamonds falls 2-3 in its second week, with 33,000 sold (down 65%).

[www.billboard.com]

--

Billboard Top 200 - [www.billboard.com]

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 7, 2023 22:21

...the world charts tomorrow...

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 7, 2023 22:47

A number of folks here find fault with HD, claiming this is fundamentally Mick’s solo album, among other flaws.

Mick is the leader and frontman of the band. Through their entire career, he has always made his presence felt, more or less.
Ultimately, Mick singing, and Keith and Ronnie playing guitar by his side or in the back — that’s The Rolling Stones. Simple as that.

Then, someone might ask, what about Charlie? Were Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Led Zeppelin?
I would say, no.
Zep split once. What the duo aimed at in the mid to late-90s was reworking/reimagining of the songs from the past, not a reunion. The Rolling Stones have never broken up. There was a process through which the group has changed the personnel — both core members and sidemen — as well as musicality from time to time, from way back till today. Brian left the group, so did Mick T., Bill, Charlie, Stu, Nicky, Billy, Mac, Lisa, Bobby etc. But they are still The Rolling Stones — the Stones Mk. n., so to speak.

My two cents.

Date: November 7, 2023 22:51

harlem shuffle
I only say that Keith is not able to play that solos anymore,because of the problems he has with hes fingers over many years.On rythm guitar he is still able to play very good.But you alsov said that Ron Wood isn,t able to play Keith,s solos.I think he is.You also said this is a soloalbum from Mick,absolutely not true.Keith has done a lots of job in this album

That's cool, some truth in what you say, Keith definitely struggling with solos for a long time but still holds the rythm down on a good day, it's all good smileys with beer

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 7, 2023 23:13

bye bye johnny
The Rolling Stones’ Hackney Diamonds falls 2-3 in its second week, with 33,000 sold (down 65%).

[www.billboard.com]

--

Billboard Top 200 - [www.billboard.com]

2 to 3 in Top Album Sales (physical copies) but from 3 to 13 on the Bilboard Top 200 ("blended" sales). Guess that was to be expected with zero promotional activity and likely out of the Top 50 next week ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 8, 2023 09:20

What was I expecting for this new Stones album?

In all honesty I was hoping for another latter day Stones album at the most. I would have been more than happy with that. From Steel Wheels to A Bigger Bang they have all had some songs that I really liked, some I only liked, some I thought were pretty average, and a few I did not rate. However, after a really good listen to Hackney Diamonds I would say that this new album is better than that.

For me this album only consists of songs that I really like, and songs that I like. I really like the following......

Angry.

A fantastic opener to the album.

Get Close.

Maybe my favourite on the album. Great riff, great sax.

Depending On You.

A really nice Stones ballad

Dreamy Skies.

Short and Curlies country style

Mess it up.

The catchiest song on the album. Sounds like a Jagger track, but one of the good ones. Great to hear Charlie.

Tell me straight.

I Love the intro and the understated bare nature of this track. Keith adds another one to his list of fantastic vocals with such a soulful vibe.

Sweet Sounds Of Heaven.

A soul number in the vain of "I got The Blues". I am not a huge GaGa fan, but she sure sings well on this. Stevie's fantastic playing supports the track instead of show boating. I love Jordan's drums on this and the off-the-cuff ending.

The tracks I merely like are....

Bite My Head Of.

Some Girls style punkish rocker with a catchy riff. Love the bass...

Whole Wide World.

Another catchy Jagger style track. I was not sure about it at first, but I like it now.

Live By The Sword.

Took time to grow on me, but got there in the end. Charlie and Bill together again. Lovely

Driving me To Hard.

If you're gonna rip someone off it may as well be yourself. Love The Winos style backing vocal.

Rolling Stones Blues.

An obvious choice, but I like the sparse way that they have done it.

Is there anything I do not like?

The production would not be my ideal way of doing it, but we all know Jagger wants a contemporary sound. It's The Rolling Stones, no doubt about that, but with a slightly modern sound. Andrew Watt has produced a cohesive sound and record, as opposed to when The Stones have previously tried modern production sounds.

The Album cover is dreadful in my opinion. I have had to flip it around so the lips logo is now the cover.

Maybe Jagger could dial his vocals down a little on some tracks. Not by much, just by a smidge.... Also, some of his lyrics have the same theme from track to track.

However, I think that it is a damn fine album, and considering where they are in their career it is astounding.

I still love this band.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-08 09:30 by strat72.

Date: November 8, 2023 10:43

strat72
What was I expecting for this new Stones album?

In all honesty I was hoping for another latter day Stones album at the most. I would have been more than happy with that. From Steel Wheels to A Bigger Bang they have all had some songs that I really liked, some I only liked, some I thought were pretty average, and a few I did not rate. However, after a really good listen to Hackney Diamonds I would say that this new album is better than that.

For me this album only consists of songs that I really like, and songs that I like. I really like the following......

Angry.

A fantastic opener to the album.

Get Close.

Maybe my favourite on the album. Great riff, great sax.

Depending On You.

A really nice Stones ballad

Dreamy Skies.

Short and Curlies country style

Mess it up.

The catchiest song on the album. Sounds like a Jagger track, but one of the good ones. Great to hear Charlie.

Tell me straight.

I Love the intro and the understated bare nature of this track. Keith adds another one to his list of fantastic vocals with such a soulful vibe.

Sweet Sounds Of Heaven.

A soul number in the vain of "I got The Blues". I am not a huge GaGa fan, but she sure sings well on this. Stevie's fantastic playing supports the track instead of show boating. I love Jordan's drums on this and the off-the-cuff ending.

The tracks I merely like are....

Bite My Head Of.

Some Girls style punkish rocker with a catchy riff. Love the bass...

Whole Wide World.

Another catchy Jagger style track. I was not sure about it at first, but I like it now.

Live By The Sword.

Took time to grow on me, but got there in the end. Charlie and Bill together again. Lovely

Driving me To Hard.

If you're gonna rip someone off it may as well be yourself. Love The Winos style backing vocal.

Rolling Stones Blues.

An obvious choice, but I like the sparse way that they have done it.

Is there anything I do not like?

The production would not be my ideal way of doing it, but we all know Jagger wants a contemporary sound. It's The Rolling Stones, no doubt about that, but with a slightly modern sound. Andrew Watt has produced a cohesive sound and record, as opposed to when The Stones have previously tried modern production sounds.

The Album cover is dreadful in my opinion. I have had to flip it around so the lips logo is now the cover.

Maybe Jagger could dial his vocals down a little on some tracks. Not by much, just by a smidge.... Also, some of his lyrics have the same theme from track to track.

However, I think that it is a damn fine album, and considering where they are in their career it is astounding.

I still love this band.....

Most agree but it's not going to happen is it, he's got to be the towering ego over everything and everyone, it is what it is.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home