Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds on charts?
Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 30, 2023 23:21

Bastion
DGA35
GasLightStreet
georgelicks
Blink-182 Reunion Album ‘One More Time’ Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200

WTF

I don't know anyone that likes that excuse of a band.

That's beyond.

So stupid.

I'm going to guess a ton of teens and 20 somethings!

The dumbest thing I’ve heard all day.

I can probably outdo that, I never even heard of "Blink-182" until this thread....

Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 30, 2023 23:37

strat72
What I'm amazed by is how selling 5000 copies in The UK gets you in the top ten these days.

I can't believe Taylor Swift's numbers. I knew she was popular, but damn...

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 23:39

Some bad losers here drinking smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 30, 2023 23:56

jahisnotdead
strat72
What I'm amazed by is how selling 5000 copies in The UK gets you in the top ten these days.

I can't believe Taylor Swift's numbers. I knew she was popular, but damn...

You should wait until the US numbers are released, over 1.6 million during the first week are expected.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 31, 2023 00:14

Bastion
DGA35
GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.

You're saying my quote is dumb?! They obviously cater to a younger demographic who would more likely buy/download music.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 31, 2023 00:18

DGA35
Bastion
DGA35
GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.

You're saying my quote is dumb?! They obviously cater to a younger demographic who would more likely buy/download music.

I'm thinking - hoping - he meant that Blink topped the charts, not your response. I was wondering something DG...have you got a copy of HD yet? I've yet to actually find one in stores/have one ship.

Posted by: plusplusjames ()
Date: October 31, 2023 00:36

Doxa
Nice, detailed reviews by plusplusjames and MrBobMartini. Lots of great insights. Thank you.

I am not busy reviewing anything yet, but I think what is absolutely great in this album is how different in many ways it is compared to A BIGGER BANG (and, of course, to BLUE & LONESOME). Like they are almost a different band. In a way that also works for seeing the unique, raw nature of A BIGGER BANG as well. It was a testimony how the Stones were back then and what they wanted to achieve under those circumstances. But instead of seeing it as their last big statement as far as original songs go - and for that I think it was a pretty sad way to end up an incredible career - it is now just one but interesting chapter in their story.

Surely 18 years is a long time, and they probably could have not even managed to do a similar album had they tried, but I am more than happy that they wanted to make a very different statement now. It is the variance not just within the albums but also between the albums I cherish. You put all those albums next to each other and you get a helluva story.

There is a lot of retro - familiar things, that is - in HACKNEY DIAMONDS, but is clothed so freshingly from the bottom to the top (and I am still in the process of digesting all that) that it sets it apart from all of their catalogue. Quite an achievement!

- Doxa

Thank you Doxa. Retro references, to be sure. And I argued some pointers to the future, as well. Not altogether pleasant to contemplate. But the band can endure.

Date: October 31, 2023 00:37

treaclefingers
DGA35
Bastion
DGA35
GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.

I'm thinking - hoping - he meant that Blink topped the charts, not your response. I was wondering something DG...have you got a copy of HD yet? I've yet to actually find one in stores/have one ship.

Haven't got a copy yet! When it came out I checked London Drugs and Walmart, nothing. I did notice LD had a vinyl copy of it.

Date: October 31, 2023 01:02

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
Bastion
DGA35
GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.

Haven't got a copy yet! When it came out I checked London Drugs and Walmart, nothing. I did notice LD had a vinyl copy of it.

WHOA what? I'm gonna go out and buy it. Just had my COVID shot...I'm starting to fade tho'.

How many copies? Don't tell me just one!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 31, 2023 01:05

Blink-182's best song isn't as good as Back To Zero or Let's Work.......

Kids these days ....

Meanwhile, our 80-somethings are kicking serious azz!

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 31, 2023 01:07

My initial response to the album was one of disappointment. Chock it up to "we're harder on the people and things we love". After 10 days of sitting with it I've made my peace with it. Ultimately, I love that it's out there. It's in the lower tier of Stones albums for me but I'm glad that they are still out there mixing it up.

Favorites are...

Angry
Get Close
Mess It Up
Tell Me Straight
Sweet Sounds of Heaven
Rollin' Stone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-03 16:19 by floodonthepage.

Date: October 31, 2023 01:09

Elmo Lewis
Blink-182's best song isn't as good as Back To Zero or Let's Work.......

There's no need for that...that's just cruel to say!

Date: October 31, 2023 01:15

treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
Bastion
DGA35
GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.

WHOA what? I'm gonna go out and buy it. Just had my COVID shot...I'm starting to fade tho'.

There was one copy Saturday.

Date: October 31, 2023 01:50

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
Bastion
DGA35
GasLightStreet
georgelicks

WTF

That's beyond.

So stupid.

There was one copy Saturday.

My hopes are fading as fast as my body with my COVID shot...I'll give'r a try in the am.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2023 03:44

laertisflash
It seems like the sales are really strong, globaly. Look at the whole picture, that's matters...

Honestly, I can't undestand the complaints about #3 on US chart. If I count correctly, in the entire Stones history we only have 9 studio albums reaching #1 there and the last one was "Tattoo You". On the other hand, "Tattoo You", "Some Girls" and other studio albums didn't reach #1 on UK chart. So what?

The most important thing is (and will be during the next weeks) the numbers of clear sales. Charts potitions have to do with local factors and casual factors too. "Emotional Rescue" reached #1 on UK chart, "Some Girls" didn't. But all of us know that "Some Girls" did stronger sales. Maybe match stronger.

That's a genuine good point. Chart ranking is only chart ranking.

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON... incredible. Granted, it got to #1 on the US Billboard Top 200 LP chart - the biggest one that matters I guess, in the US anyway - but that initial ranking is nothing compared to what it's done since then.

Of course, it's an excellent album and essentially the soundtrack for the universe but...

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: October 31, 2023 04:19

Blink-182 has been around since the late 90’s and had a couple big hits when I was around 18-19 years old…I’m 42 now, so it’s a lot more than teens and twenty something’s that are driving their sales.

While I was never a fan of their music and much prefer the Stones, I’m probably an exception to the rule. There are a lot more people my age who are likely to have more of a connection to Blink-182 than the Stones.

Having said that, there are probably a lot more teens/twenty something’s open minded enough to listen to Stones than there are people on this board who’d listen to Blink-182.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-31 04:31 by CamRS.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: October 31, 2023 06:11

Maybe Mick should've dated a Kardashian.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 31, 2023 06:25

Probably has .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: October 31, 2023 06:28

Late 90s, early 00s, I was still listening to the radio, but I don’t remember ever hearing about Blink 182. I don’t know them. Listened just now to a few of their songs. Completely uninteresting to me. Unless they drastically improved since then, I can’t fathom why an album of theirs would chart so high. That said, I am surprised HD has charted so well. It deserves it, but I wasn’t expecting it to do so well. The publicity, all the reviews, all the interviews, has paid off. Many of my non-Stones-fans friends are aware the Stones have put out a new album, but none of them have heard any of the songs. I don’t listen the radio anymore and I rarely stream, so I can only hope it’s getting some airplay.

Posted by: Slop ()
Date: October 31, 2023 07:43

Strange experience yesterday - local trivia host in Australia played Angry at the pub. Not part of a question, he just decided to put it on after trivia. Pretty cool to hear it in a more casual context. People definitely seem conscious of Hackney Diamonds.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 31, 2023 09:37

Slop
Strange experience yesterday - local trivia host in Australia played Angry at the pub. Not part of a question, he just decided to put it on after trivia. Pretty cool to hear it in a more casual context. People definitely seem conscious of Hackney Diamonds.

Reminds me of when Undercover Of The Night was released, no one played it anywhere, then one night in this small club the DJ put the 12" single on, blew me away and the DJ just couldn't understand why it wasn't played the way SMU was a few years earlier.

A lot changed in those 2 to 3 years, all of a sudden the Stones were labelled dinosaurs and wrinkly rockers, now today they can't do anything wrong, go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-31 12:44 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 31, 2023 10:18

It would seem that they've now been admitted into that "respected elderly statesmen" club...

..Not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing ? winking smiley

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 31, 2023 10:24

My postie (mailman) was listening to it this week whilst making his deliveries. Told me he was really enjoying it. I'm guessing he knows I'm a fan by the t shirts I've worn answering the door to him over the past few years.

Date: October 31, 2023 10:24

Spud
It would seem that they've now been admitted into that "respected elderly statesmen" club...

..Not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing ? winking smiley

I just thought that it was funny that 40 years ago aged 40, media, journalists and press hated them for how old they were, now age 80 they are untouchable legends, a protected species, yeah you are right of course, elder statesmen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-31 12:42 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 31, 2023 10:59

I suppose we've now reached the point where dirty & angry Rock is now typically played by "old men"...

...and listened to by old men too.

But I still think it's about time these noisey new fangled beat groups got their hair cut !

Posted by: LondonLee ()
Date: October 31, 2023 11:19

strat72
LondonLee
LondonLee
Not a great album, in fact far from it, and feels very much like a mixture of a Mick solo album with a mixture of Stones tracks that weren't released because they weren't deemed decent enough to be put on a B side.

4 excellent tracks - Angry, Sweet sounds... , Tell me Straight and Rolling Stones Blues but for me the rest I'm happy to have listened to and will do so every now and again but seldomly.

I know we couldn't expect something akin to them at their best and should be amazed that men in or near their 80s can still make an album like that but it's not even as good as being a 'Stones by Numbers album'.

Far from being the best output since Some Girls, for me this is the worst record since Dirty Work and, whisper it quietly, I probably prefer that to be honest.

Just had a second listen and, yes, I admit my first assessment was wrong.

It's a solid album with some really decent stuff on there.

I suspect that my next listen will elevate my opinion of it further....

One question though: Why didn't Keith lead vocals on Driving Me Too Hard??? That song was made for him.

So let me get this straight. You decided to give your review on an album after listening to it once? You have now decided to give another review after listening to it twice.

Dear oh dear...... Some people.eye rolling smiley

Yep, that's what I decided to do....

If we were all as cool as you the World would be a boring place thumbs up

Date: October 31, 2023 12:52

LondonLee
strat72
LondonLee
LondonLee
Not a great album, in fact far from it, and feels very much like a mixture of a Mick solo album with a mixture of Stones tracks that weren't released because they weren't deemed decent enough to be put on a B side.

4 excellent tracks - Angry, Sweet sounds... , Tell me Straight and Rolling Stones Blues but for me the rest I'm happy to have listened to and will do so every now and again but seldomly.

I know we couldn't expect something akin to them at their best and should be amazed that men in or near their 80s can still make an album like that but it's not even as good as being a 'Stones by Numbers album'.

Far from being the best output since Some Girls, for me this is the worst record since Dirty Work and, whisper it quietly, I probably prefer that to be honest.

One question though: Why didn't Keith lead vocals on Driving Me Too Hard??? That song was made for him.

So let me get this straight. You decided to give your review on an album after listening to it once? You have now decided to give another review after listening to it twice.

Stwat72
i doubt most critics play an album through more than once or twice before they review it.
A lot of the really positive reviews clearly didn't listen to the album properly, it's a good album for 80 year old legends but it's not the best album since Exile or Some Girls.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 31, 2023 13:06

My 60yo brother in law tells me today that he thinks Bite my Head Off is amazing but that SSoH is too mainstream. Mainstream??? I told him to listen again, and to the whole thing!!

Rod

Posted by: LondonLee ()
Date: October 31, 2023 13:54

keefriffhards
LondonLee
strat72
LondonLee
LondonLee

Stwat72
i doubt most critics play an album through more than once or twice before they review it.
A lot of the really positive reviews clearly didn't listen to the album properly, it's a good album for 80 year old legends but it's not the best album since Exile or Some Girls.

It would be a lot weirder if nobody gave a review until after listening to it 10 times...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 31, 2023 14:26

Mess It Up has got radio time now. Maybe it's the third single? Anyway, the Lady Gaga soul number is still number one for me. I have noticed another thing though:
There is no obvious hit single on it. But by now it doesn't matter I guess. There are too few tours left to make it warhorse status anyway.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home