Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 29, 2023 18:50

Highlights

- Angry
- Sweet sounds of Heaven
- Whole wide world
- Live by the sword
- Dreamy skies

Good tracks

- Driving me too hard
- Bite my head off
- Rollin'Stones blues
- Depending on you

Mess it up, Get close and Keith's tune....Uhm!eye rolling smiley

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 29, 2023 18:55

So, I'll also do one of these:

Highlights:

Get Close
Live By the Sword
Depending on You
Driving Me Too Hard

Good:
Dreamy Skies
Rolling Stone Blues
Whole Wide World
Bite My Head Off

OK:
Angry
Sweet Sounds
Tell Me Straight
Mess it Up

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: October 29, 2023 19:02

Highlights

Angry
Get Close
Depending On You
Bite My Head Off
Whole Wide World
Dreamy Skies
Mess It Up
Live By The Sword
Driving too Hard
Tell Me Straight
Sweet Sounds Of Heaven
Rolling Stone Blues

It's a miracle they still kept and keep going.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 29, 2023 20:04

play the game

Highlights

Get Close
Sweet Sounds

Good tracks

Angry
Depending On You
Whole Wide World
Live By The Sword
Tell me Straight
Rolling Stones Blues

Ok
Bite My Head off
Dreamy Skies

Ko

Mess it up
Driving Too Hard

Date: October 29, 2023 20:32

Mess it up is a very good dancing song, as I wrote only a bit in the middle is strange but overall I don't get why here gets often "KO"

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 29, 2023 21:10

OK
Angry
Depending On You
Whole Wide World
Dreamy Skies
Mess it up
Driving Too Hard
Tell me Straight
Sweet Sounds
Rolling Stones Blues

Not OK
Get Close
Bite My Head off
Live By The Sword

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 29, 2023 21:28

jumpingjackflash5
Mess it up is a very good dancing song, as I wrote only a bit in the middle is strange but overall I don't get why here gets often "KO"

hey jumpinjackflash5, just a matter of taste and feel. to me to be a very good dancing song from the stones means miss you, too much blood, dance pt 1, hot stuff, honky tonk women. Methinks Mess it up is not, by far, in the same league as these. happy for those who like it

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 29, 2023 22:44

Blink-182 Reunion Album ‘One More Time’ Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200

Plus, The Rolling Stones' first studio album of original material since 2005, "Hackney Diamonds," launches in the top three.

By Keith Caulfield
October 29, 2023

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 29, 2023 23:32

Muddyw
Highlights

Angry
Get Close
Depending On You
Bite My Head Off
Whole Wide World
Dreamy Skies
Mess It Up
Live By The Sword
Driving too Hard
Tell Me Straight
Sweet Sounds Of Heaven
Rolling Stone Blues

It's a miracle they still kept and keep going.

smileys with beer

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 29, 2023 23:43

best

get close
rolling stone blues
live by the sword
tell me straight
driving me to hard

2nd best

angry
depending on you
mess it up
ssoh
bite my head off
dreamy skies

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 29, 2023 23:58

After listening to it for a week, this is my HD top 12:

1: Mess It Up, this should be the next single, it's so catchy, I love it
2: Get Close, one of my favourites
3: Dreamy Skies, a new Stones country classic, love Micks harmonica on this and Keith's backing vocals
4: Whole Wide World, love this track, real British rainy day feeling
5: Live by the Sword, I love the way Mick sings this, reminds me of the 70s only Rock & Roll style, and it has Bill Wyman and Charlie om it
6: Depending on You, great track
7: Tell Me Straight, a beautiful Keith tune
8: Rolling Stone blues, a fun gimmick
9: Driving Me Too Hard, nice but a bit boring
10: Bite My Head Off, it's nice Paul is there but this track is not really my cup of tea, I skip it sometimes
11: Sweet Sounds of Heaven, maybe I played it too much, but it's a bit too long, so I skip it nowadays
12: Angry, maybe I heard it too much, but now I always start Hackney Diamonds with Get Close and skip Angry, imho it's the weakest track on HD

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 30, 2023 00:04

I am glad that we all have different opinions here. smileys with beer

matxil
Not OK
Get Close
Bite My Head off
Live By The Sword

NilsHolgersson
After listening to it for a week, this is my HD top 12:

1: Mess It Up, this should be the next single, it's so catchy, I love it
2: Get Close, one of my favourites

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 30, 2023 00:07

I know and a lot of people hate Mess It Up on here

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 30, 2023 05:06

Doxa
I can only listen to four tracks: the two singles (both very good), Keith's track (quite good), and the blues (which is not bad).

All the other crap is Mick's solo record-like garbage.

I don't understand why it was necessary to release an album.

Of course I know, because Mick wanted it and old Keith agreed for the sake of peace.

(And I haven't even mentioned the rhythm section yet. Oh my God! Charlie!)

There are two real Rolling Stones quality tracks, the two singles.

But the campaign was in true Rolling Stones style, I liked it!

It is not that difficult to understand. Artists do that sometimes. It's a free world, and neither is neceesary for anyone to listen it.

- Doxa

Of course, I just don't understand why unworthy content had to be added to the great Rolling Stones catalog.

It is your choice to listen once and not listen again.

Do you like Sympathy For The Devil?

Date: October 30, 2023 05:20

Bastion
jahisnotdead
Cult band?!

Emphasis on the cult.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: October 30, 2023 05:58

StonedRambler
PaintMonkeyManBlack
keefriffhards
A more honest down to earth review from a guy who actually knows this band/music and their potential.
[pitchfork.com]

laughable on a lot of levels.

I hate how some people call negative opinions "honest" which consequently says that all positive opinions are not honest.

Some people just like to spread hate and that has nothing to do with honesty.

LOL quite similar to saying someone has "an old soul".

Grayson Haver Currin is a rock climber. He has a kinda raggily wooly beard. He loves to make milkshakes from tree bark and finds common ground with rocks that hold up trees in rivers. He also is a big time battery/gas powered bike fanatic and goes so far as to park his big bike in the not quite handicap parking spot because, you know, bikes don't take up much space, when visiting organic coffee and tea bars, which are for if you wear sandals in public.

Currin, who is street level known for hijacking Tesla charging stations to charge his various media portals, is a big time 'Nature Gives Back' kind of person even though he cleared his entire property of pine trees from falling on his house "just in case of a hurricane".

He is currently a rock climber that sits atop high rocks and writes record reviews for various online platforms that actually believe his Dole-Lite cranberry juice reviews.

He's never seen The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, The Cult, Zac Brown, The Who, Def Leppard, Nirvana, James Taylor, Stone Temple Pilots, Gordon Lightfooot, The Eagles, Urge Overkill, Bonnie Raitt, Garth Brooks, Taylor Swift, Jimmy Buffett, Janet Jackson, Cheap Trick, Dolly Parton, Allison Kraus (and Robert Plant), The Neville Brothers, Will Kimbrough, Morning 40 Federation, Zachary Richard, Soundgarden, The Smashing Pumpkins, Liz Phair or David Bowie, live, amongst many others.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 30, 2023 08:55

What does all that mean, GLS? Who is that?

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 30, 2023 09:37

GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
PaintMonkeyManBlack
keefriffhards
A more honest down to earth review from a guy who actually knows this band/music and their potential.
[pitchfork.com]

laughable on a lot of levels.

I hate how some people call negative opinions "honest" which consequently says that all positive opinions are not honest.

Some people just like to spread hate and that has nothing to do with honesty.

LOL quite similar to saying someone has "an old soul".

Grayson Haver Currin is a rock climber. He has a kinda raggily wooly beard. He loves to make milkshakes from tree bark and finds common ground with rocks that hold up trees in rivers. He also is a big time battery/gas powered bike fanatic and goes so far as to park his big bike in the not quite handicap parking spot because, you know, bikes don't take up much space, when visiting organic coffee and tea bars, which are for if you wear sandals in public.

Currin, who is street level known for hijacking Tesla charging stations to charge his various media portals, is a big time 'Nature Gives Back' kind of person even though he cleared his entire property of pine trees from falling on his house "just in case of a hurricane".

He is currently a rock climber that sits atop high rocks and writes record reviews for various online platforms that actually believe his Dole-Lite cranberry juice reviews.

He's never seen The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, The Cult, Zac Brown, The Who, Def Leppard, Nirvana, James Taylor, Stone Temple Pilots, Gordon Lightfooot, The Eagles, Urge Overkill, Bonnie Raitt, Garth Brooks, Taylor Swift, Jimmy Buffett, Janet Jackson, Cheap Trick, Dolly Parton, Allison Kraus (and Robert Plant), The Neville Brothers, Will Kimbrough, Morning 40 Federation, Zachary Richard, Soundgarden, The Smashing Pumpkins, Liz Phair or David Bowie, live, amongst many others.

Lol knows the band and their music then

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 30, 2023 09:43

It seems like the band is starting all over again. BLUE & LONESOME was going back to the start, from where it all begun. At the time I was joking that probably the next album will be AFTERMATH, the dudes entering the world of original song-writing. Fresh and eager. And shit, in many ways HACKNEY DIAMONDS resembles AFTERMATH. The way they updated their game back then, being melodic, poppish enough to fit to the sounds of the day. Of which "Living In A Ghost Town", 60's style pure single release, indicated already.

So Andrew Watt is Andrew Oldham of the day, him knowing exactly how the hit records sound. But who knows, probably the next album will be, if HACKNEY DIAMONDS covered the 'pop era' of 1966/67 already, representing the full matured Jimmy Miller years... Who is a modern version of him? Watt too?

- Doxa

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 30, 2023 11:01

video: [youtu.be]

An honest review. smiling smiley

Posted by: Jalfstra ()
Date: October 30, 2023 11:13

I think I listened to every song like 8 to 10 times (Angry and SSOH maybe 15-20 times) right now and I really, really like this album.

Recent Stones albums all had some great tracks, some mediocre fillers and also a couple of tracks I did not really like (some more than others). Steel Wheels has 'Hold on to your hat, and 'Hearts for Sale' which I don't like. ABB has Neocon and It won't take long, B2B has Might As Well get juiced and Gunface..

Hackney Diamonds contains not a single bad song, or a song I dislike. I think RSB is kinda out of place, but I get the symbolic of it and its a great performance, I just would have suited Blue and Lonesome better. Even Tattoo You has some tunes I alway skip.. Every song on HD is good or great to me...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 30, 2023 11:37

I think R S Blues fits in very well...the blues is where they started and from where they grew and broadened their musical palette.

Mick commented on that BBC documentary series last year, when asked about being a "Blues band", that the Stones are " an everything band "..

...and they've just proved it in great style.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-30 11:38 by Spud.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 30, 2023 12:10

I wanted NOT to like Mess It Up...but I can't....next single and very radio friendly. to boot....Angry played everywhere all weekend in several sports stadiums..the STones have a legit hit here..hope they promote the shit out of it....regardless of what a few negative clowns on here are saying.

Date: October 30, 2023 12:18

Redhotcarpet

Well, it's not over the top or revengeful, so, yes, I think it's a honest review. And he makes some very good points too, some of them (especially about the obligatory verse/chorus thing) I fully agree with.
I like the album a bit better than he does, I don't mind the occasional pop-album (like Aftermath in the past). What bums me the most is if people compare Angry to Start Me Up, Get Close to Slave or Sweet Sounds to Gimme Shelter.
Anyway, this guy seems to have some clear arguments, which of course one can agree with or not.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 30, 2023 12:19

What made The Stones my favorite band, is that they combined so many different styles
of music. And exactly that is what makes Hackney Diamonds such a great record!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: October 30, 2023 12:20

Spud
I think R S Blues fits in very well...the blues is where they started and from where they grew and broadened their musical palette.

Mick commented on that BBC documentary series last year, when asked about being a "Blues band", that the Stones are " an everything band "..

...and they've just proved it in great style.

This comment of Mick I find rather telling. And although he clearly means it as a good thing, to me it points to the reason I don't find the Stones the same band I once used to love.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 30, 2023 12:28

I think I get that...but their influences have been very eclectic since the mid 1960s .

Mick has possibly been a little too concerned from time to time about being up with all the latest musical trends...but I think that's another thing altogether.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 30, 2023 12:34

Irix

27 October 2023

"The Rolling Stones with best album start in 2023 at number 1"

"Three years ago, The Rolling Stones achieved a record in the Official German Charts as the oldest artists ever to sit on the throne of the single hit list. Now the music legends have gone one better - and achieved several records at once with their new album: 'Hackney Diamonds' not only landed the most successful start of the year in Germany, the most successful start since Rammstein's 'Zeit' one and a half years ago and the strongest start by an international artist since ABBA's 'Voyage' two years ago, but also the best-selling vinyl in the launch week to date. What's more, the album marks Mick Jagger & Co.'s eleventh number one record overall."
- [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

What's your take on the album, now that you surely have listened to it properly? Do you like it?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 12:55

Redhotcarpet

So all other reviews that don’t apparently align with YOUR personal thinking are DISHONEST? A pretty dishonest judgement call you’ve made on others.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-30 12:57 by bitusa2012.

Date: October 30, 2023 13:49

bitusa2012
Redhotcarpet

So all other reviews that don’t apparently align with YOUR personal thinking are DISHONEST? A pretty dishonest judgement call you’ve made on others.

He doesn't say that the others are dishonest. He just says that this one is honest (which it is).
Anyway, I suspect (but irony doesn't always work well on internet so maybe I am wrong) that he meant it with a tongue in cheek, since this whole "honest review" thing has been an issue before on this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-30 13:49 by matxil.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home