Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: *RIP- Hairball
Posted by: Andithurts ()
Date: October 20, 2023 20:22

Rest in Peace Mr. Eric Duncan Ward.
Condolences to his family and friends

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 21, 2023 03:43

Just reading this now, very sorry to hear, my condolences to his family. He was an amazing contributor and very tuned in to music.

RIP Hairball/Eric

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 16:29

R.I.P. Mr. Hairball

Positive thoughts and condolences to his family.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 21, 2023 17:03

This is devastating news. Hairball is one of those people whose stamp is to be found all over IORR. This place will not be the same without him. I began to get a bad feeling when Hairball no longer posted in the Hackney Diamonds-related threads, and definitely when no more posts by him appeared in the discussion of Roger Waters’ then still impending release of his remake of Dark Side Of The Moon. And now I realize that when I called out for him in the Pink Floyd thread, he was already gone for more than a month. Hairball had very pronounced oppinions about Roger Waters and Pink Floyd, and in case of doubt, he would outargue me any time.

Writing this (or rather, having to write this) while listening to Hackney Diamonds for the first time takes the joy away from the experience. Living on different continents, we never met. But a strange (?) thing about internet forums like IORR is that at some point you start to feel connected to, or care for people even if you never met them in person and don’t know their real names. In Hairball’s case, all I knew was that he florished in SoCal and that his nickname came from his cat. Being owned by a cat myself this already gave me a sense of sympathy. I always felt his sense of humour was very similar to mine, and I would have loved to meet him over a beer or a cup of coffee one day.

Despite the anonymity of the internet, Hairball offered a lot about himself on IORR, especially in the New Album thread. He not only loved all kinds of music, he also had a strong interest in, and a good knowledge of, art, and was an artist himself. Some of his paintings can be seen in that thread. He also had a very reflective and reflected awareness of the world around him and used to have good arguments for his oppinions and views. I will always have fond memories of discussing all things under the sun with him especially in the New Album thread. Sometimes we agreed, sometimes we disagreed, sometimes we agreed to disagree. Just as well I will always have fond memories of throwing jokes back and forth, or simply having fun (btw, thank you bv for letting us do this).

He should have lived to see Hackney Diamonds. He should have lived to see its follow-up. He should have lived to see (hear) the whole of Dark Side Redux. He should have lived to see whatever Neil Young will still be coming up with, and to attend all the shows he would have loved to attend.

Safe travels, mate, and don’t miss the great gig in the sky.

A big Thank You to MisterDDDD for informing us of his demise and providing the link to his memorial page. As slewan pointed out, he wrote his last post here the day before he passed. So one can only hope it came quickly to him and without an eternity of suffering and a shitload of pain.

My sincere condolences to the ones who loved him and he loved. He will not be forgotten.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: October 21, 2023 17:13

Shocking news.
His absence from iorr had been pointed out a few times over the past weeks, but it never crossed my mind that he may have passed. So sad to hear.
An iorr All-Star, Hairball was a terrific writer. His posts were well written and thoughtful. He will be missed.
Thoughts and prayers my friend.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 21, 2023 18:24

As others have noted, Eric was an artist.
Hadn't seen any of his art posted here, but he often spoke of his training and his small studio on the coast (often when in a "debate" with me and others about Ronnie's art winking smiley)

A link to his art page, which as others have mentioned, was quite impressive.
[www.ericdward.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 18:45 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 21, 2023 21:15

MisterDDDD
Hadn't seen any of his art posted here, but he often spoke of his training and his small studio on the coast (often when in a "debate" with me and others about Ronnie's art winking smiley)

[www.ericdward.com]

Amazing.
I didn’t know he was an artist. And of this caliber.
Such a loss. Not only for the Stones fan community.

Date: October 22, 2023 02:11

I found the message where Hairball posted one of his paintings, "La Costa", 34" x 62" (apprx. 3 by 5 ft.) from 1998:

[iorr.org]
Hairball
Rockman
…..come on Hairball..,.. Wanna see some … give us all a lil glimmer

Many people here have seen and know my art - painting, sculpting, mixed media,installations, etc., etc., etc.
Some of it's political, some of it's social, some of it's controversial, while some of it's none of that, but for you Rockman here's an oldie but goodie wave painting from 1998 - La Costa. 34" x 62" (apprx. 3 by 5 ft.)

But enough of my art - this is a thread about misguided and foolish Ronnie's new painting.

(Luckily I could - faintly - remember the name of the painting.) It was not in the New Album thread, as I had thought, but in a thread on Ronnie's artwork.
The link to the painting in that message no longer works but "La Costa" can also be seen here on Eric D. Ward's homepage:

[www.ericdward.com]

Below in isolation:
[www.ericdward.com]

So I take this as evidence that Hairball was indeed Eric Duncan Ward.
I just wonder what happened to him. It seems so sudden.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 22, 2023 02:20

doitywoik, I would like to say your testimony is spot on and I couldn't say it better myself. Profoundly the 2 times I've played Hackney I thought of him though I didn't know him personally. Always enjoyed his comments and felt he was honest and didn't care otherwise. It's certainly a big loss.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 22, 2023 18:58

MisterDDDD

[www.ericdward.com]

Thank you for posting. Yes, we all have lives - some quite extraordinary, I’d imagine - outside of this, here, forum. Eric was evidently a very talented man.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: October 22, 2023 19:44

Well said Big Al. thumbs up
Thanks for posting the link to Eric’s site MrDDDD. Eric’s work and resume’ are quite impressive.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 22, 2023 19:44

doitywoik
I found the message where Hairball posted one of his paintings, "La Costa", 34" x 62" (apprx. 3 by 5 ft.) from 1998:

[iorr.org]
Hairball
Rockman

Many people here have seen and know my art - painting, sculpting, mixed media,installations, etc., etc., etc.
Some of it's political, some of it's social, some of it's controversial, while some of it's none of that, but for you Rockman here's an oldie but goodie wave painting from 1998 - La Costa. 34" x 62" (apprx. 3 by 5 ft.)

But enough of my art - this is a thread about misguided and foolish Ronnie's new painting.

(Luckily I could - faintly - remember the name of the painting.) It was not in the New Album thread, as I had thought, but in a thread on Ronnie's artwork.
The link to the painting in that message no longer works but "La Costa" can also be seen here on Eric D. Ward's homepage:

[www.ericdward.com]

Part of the reason I was hesitant to post the memorial page for several days was that it was the only info I could find on his apparent death.

Part of me was both hoping and dreading that Hairball himself would reply in the thread saying he had been ill or on vacation etc. (more hoping fwiw)

Not gonna lie- seeing this "repost" when I logged on, freaked me out.
Half expected it to be him accusing me of stalking him as he often did when I, or others, would dig out an old post of his.
Unfortunately, this post was helpful in confirming it was the right memorial/person. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: October 22, 2023 21:35

I am very sorry to hear of Hairballs passing.....He was one of my go to's on the Iorr site... Always liked what he wrote and had to say! God speed and my Condolences to Family and Friends and those on Iorr.Peace.M

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 22, 2023 22:03

doitywoik

[iorr.org]
Hairball
Rockman

[www.ericdward.com]

Below in isolation:
[www.ericdward.com]

thanks for posting. such a loss, also for this community

i'll toast to him, again, tonight listening to the stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-22 22:10 by maumau.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 23, 2023 00:28

what a loss.
I did not know he was such an artist.
Rest in Peace Eric.

Date: October 23, 2023 05:39

MisterDDDD
Part of me was both hoping and dreading that Hairball himself would reply in the thread saying he had been ill or on vacation etc. (more hoping fwiw)

Same here, part of me still hoping he would eventually post in this thread, calling us something along the lines of bloody stupid idiots or whatever, and me happy about every curse we might have to take.

Big Al suggested this thread should be a sticky. I was wondering whether it wasn't about time for IORR to have a section "Gone but not forgotten" or similar, beside "Tell Me", "Buy/Sell/Trade" etc., where deceased IORRians could be commemorated, like e.g. zappateers has. Many if not most of us are not exactly teenagers any longer, and it must be considered that sooner or later members of IORR may set out to explore the Great Beyond and will not be with us anymore. No matter whether we loved them or hated them, we would be shaken and miss them, and it would be dignifying for them to have a place to be commemorated instead of disappearing into the depths of the Mariana trench of the internet. I am aware that often we would not get to know if some IORRian passed on or just stopped posting for whatever reason, but some here do know each other also in person or though other channels, and I seem to remember threads informing us of an IORRian's demise.

@bv, in case you read this, what do you think?

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 23, 2023 06:19

MisterDDDD
doitywoik

[iorr.org]
Hairball
Rockman

[www.ericdward.com]

Part of the reason I was hesitant to post the memorial page for several days was that it was the only info I could find on his apparent death.

Not gonna lie- seeing this "repost" when I logged on, freaked me out.
Half expected it to be him accusing me of stalking him as he often did when I, or others, would dig out an old post of his.
Unfortunately, this post was helpful in confirming it was the right memorial/person. Thanks for posting.

You had the guts to do something and I didn't.

When I searched Hairball, the default is 30 days and nothing returned. I selected all time and found the last post was five weeks ago. I thought he may be on holiday and it started to bug me, but something said stay out of it.

I found the resume tab from your link. No wonder he could evaluate the new tour posters with authority! Everything he wrote, every comment, it all fits together.

If I meet you on the next tour, I'll buy you a beer and a toast to Hairball during Happy.

Thank you MisterDDDD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 06:19 by shattered.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: October 23, 2023 07:32

Thank you MrDDDD for posting the link to Hairball’s artwork. I didn’t know he was an artist, and from looking at his works, he was a very talented artist. I had been hoping to meet him on the next tour as we usually attended the same shows but had not connected on the last tour. I miss his posts very much. He would have had a lot to say about HD, all the interviews, the NYC club show. IORR feels a bit silent without him. He has left a void. RIP

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home