Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Carla Bley
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 17, 2023 23:39

Avant jazz legend Carla Bley has passed away at age 87- better known in these parts for her 1975 collaboration with Mick Taylor and Jack Bruce. Very talented, very original.

[www.billboard.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-19 18:54 by bv.

Re: OT: RIP Carla Bley
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 18, 2023 06:10

Carla was one-of-a-kind. Left behind a rich and unique legacy in contemporary jazz.

Saw her twice long time ago, in Osaka ‘84 and Tokyo ‘90, respectively. On the second occasion, she was one of the members of Liberation Music Orchestra, bassist Charlie Hayden’s politically oriented musical collective, a big ensemble of some 10-15 players. I remember, during the interplay, Don Cherry stepped forward and stated, “Free Nelson Mandela!” It was February 15, their one and only performance in Japan including before and after. I was visiting Tokyo to see the Stones and they had finished their first ever Japanese show the day before, the 14th, which I attended as well as the next two days, 16th and 17th — so handy for me. Accordingly, the Stone’s Japanese onstage debut is linked to the LMO’s exclusive appearance in my memory.

R.I.P. Ms Bley

Date: October 18, 2023 15:04

A big name in jazz land. I saw her long ago with Jack Bruce and Mick Taylor in 1975, Pinkpop. I could finally lay my hands on the audience recording, recently. Carla was arguably the most inspiring and colourful player at that particular concert. RiP Carla Bley. †

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: October 19, 2023 08:57

RIP Carla!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home