Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Stones collectors: which species are you?
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 23, 2023 01:16

Y'know, you make a great point, treacle, and being that I work in insurance, one would think that I would have cataloged all of my collection long, long ago, but I never have. I must have close to 3500 CDs by now across the whole collection, countless boxsets, and autographed stuff. It would indeed be one helluva undertaking!!!

The Stones are the only band whose CDs I keep in release order. Everyone else is alphabetically.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond. I plan on mixing the boxsets in with the vinyl, since they're mostly the same size and there's no other place to display them anyway.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 23, 2023 01:49

I did get why someone would buy more than one of the same album, CD... and probably don't even listen to them, gee I've seen 4 or 5 copies of the same album in some collections ffs, why?

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 23, 2023 02:03

colonial
I did get why someone would buy more than one of the same album, CD... and probably don't even listen to them, gee I've seen 4 or 5 copies of the same album in some collections ffs, why?
Because in some cases collecting is not about the music only. Different labels, imprints, misprints etc..

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: October 23, 2023 02:08

ironbelly
colonial
Because in some cases collecting is not about the music only. Different labels, imprints, misprints etc..
Don't forget the matrix numbers...

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: October 23, 2023 03:28

Unfortunately I'm 8
I lose money and energy every day because of the Stones!
I usually post on Instagram when I find a lost bootleg or magazine with notes from the Stones, and it seems that no one is interested, not even my followers who like the Stones.....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2023 05:32

gastonl74
Unfortunately I'm 8
I lose money and energy every day because of the Stones!
I usually post on Instagram when I find a lost bootleg or magazine with notes from the Stones, and it seems that no one is interested, not even my followers who like the Stones.....

stick with us, we have your back!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 23, 2023 06:03

ironbelly
colonial

yea, I can understand having 2 of an album, CD... to keep one in mint condition unopened, but any more than 2 is really unesserary

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: October 23, 2023 06:29

Well I guess the fact that I have 15 copies of Hackney Diamonds must mean I have some sorta problem then!!! LOL. I can’t believe how fast this blew past Sticky for that honor. I think I have 7 variants of Sticky? Maybe 1-2 I’m not thinking of at the moment but that sounds about right.

Date: October 23, 2023 06:36

I don’t suppose there’s a definitive list anywhere that tracks every release in order is there? This was easy to do prior to the re-release of all the various coloured vinyl editions. Putting the collection in chronological release order that is. I have my first 3 and the 2 latest - Orange Flowers and RSD ‘23 BB. But I’ve no clue when others came out like the gold Walmart Hot Rocks, the RSD Big Hits & TTPD albums. I can’t always rely on the date on the album because it’s not accurate. Orange Flowers says 2016 on the back for the copyright date when the edition just came out. I guess I could start with Wiki for the regular official releases, which I’ll still need help with. No clue which live album came when. Had hoped to have it all displayed tonight, but the Stones is a massive undertaking. Solo, Stones-related, and non-Stones is all done.

Date: October 23, 2023 12:25

colonial
ironbelly
colonial

yea, I can understand having 2 of an album, CD... to keep one in mint condition unopened, but any more than 2 is really unesserary

Sometimes you need more than two. For example, these four came with exactly the same booklet and inlay. They have the same matrix number 820 047-2 01 #. But they came with different labels.

It depends on your condition winking smiley.

Date: October 23, 2023 15:01

OK I had to really study the bottom two discs, ironbelly, as they looked identical to me, but I see the letters and numbers to the right of the center hole are different. >grinning smiley<

Date: October 23, 2023 21:09

OK and what about reprints? Like the Olympia tri-color vinyl? I suppose that goes in as a 2023 release, technically, right? Since it's a reprint of the original 2016 release? And shouldn't be confused with the original. This one at least has both dates on the back, which is what I think the orange Flowers should indicate.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: October 24, 2023 10:22

Back in 1968, I took a box full of early concert programmes, books, Stones Monthlies, etc to my office to try and impress a girl I worked with. When I left the job, I left those gems behind. I regret losing them more than I regret not getting off with the girl.

For me, it has always been about the music so I was content to just have a tenth generation cassette of a great concert recording because I couldn’t afford the vinyl boot.

Collecting these days just seems to be about having all the variations of a release that the band put out there and I’ve never liked that feeling of being exploited. Anyone can boast that they have hundreds of Stones recordings but they just got them off Stonesvault or similar, they haven’t spent any time or effort. This seems rather hollow to me.

My interest is still in just the music but I’m sure that if the Gomelsky tapes suddenly appeared there would be many here complaining about the sound quality. Quality is better than quantity any day, just ask your lady..

Posted by: bertrichards ()
Date: October 24, 2023 22:32

(9) I buy vinyl only.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 25, 2023 06:56

I used to be #6, looking for those rare japanese Maxi CD... Now I'm more #4 I think. But with streaming services I don't care that much about getting physical releases of every tracks and their variant.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: October 25, 2023 11:01

VINYL - VINY - VINYL hot smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 25, 2023 23:27

What ever you collect it all gathers dust and takes up space.Still collect vinyl but cut back on a lot of stuff.It’s only worth what the next person will pay for it anyway.Collections can turn into clutter very easily.

Posted by: makim ()
Date: October 31, 2023 21:39

I am between 3 and 4.

I like to own every official song in some physical format (vinyl preferred) and may have lost track in recent years but should still have 98 %.

And for some reason since I was 13 I was fascinated by the vinyl bootlegs and I would buy a 50th version of Live'r Than You'll Ever Be if I found one that is different from mine.

So all "downsizers" considering to get rid of your 70s and 80s vinyl bootlegs - let me know :-)

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: November 2, 2023 03:43

I belong to none of those categories. I’m an old Stones fan (1st gen.). Still play an original Dan Armstrong. Anything (especially guitar magazines) about their blues, r&b, folk influences I can read / translate.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 2, 2023 21:51

I buy every official CD from the boys+ DVDS.

I also own about 10 vinyl records and about 150 CD bootlegs + some VHS.

Date: December 16, 2023 19:35

To all the stamp collectors:

Is there a definitive list somewhere of what has been released and when? Not necessarily looking for every version of every album, like all of these individual Abkco vinyl releases that seem to be the albums that were included in the new vinyl mono boxset, but definitely inclusive of RSD exclusive releases and the different vinyl variants that have been released. Would be US/UK only. My CD collection is pretty solid, and does have some holes, but nothing like the vinyl side, where I'd like to have an original pressing of each album and only have Big Hits and B&B from the older stuff and then mostly all the newer vinyl releases that started with the Plunder My Soul 45".

thanks!

VL13

PS - hope it makes sense what I'm looking for. A complete chronological list of releases from first album up thru HD Live Edition for both CD and vinyl. And inclusive of any Promos if there were promo-exclusive tracks on there (I believe there was a live version of JJF on a promo CD back in the 90's?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-16 19:36 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: December 16, 2023 21:07

VoodooLounge13
PS - hope it makes sense what I'm looking for. A complete chronological list of releases from first album up thru HD Live Edition for both CD and vinyl. And inclusive of any Promos if there were promo-exclusive tracks on there (I believe there was a live version of JJF on a promo CD back in the 90's?).

Some well known sources:
- Dieter Hoffmann's books "Das Weißbuch" + "Das Weißbuch Recording Index" (up to 2003)
- Nico Zentgraf: [www.nzentgraf.de]
- Felix Aeppli: [aeppli.ch]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-17 02:30 by MAF.

Date: December 16, 2023 21:47

Thanks MAF! I'll check out these!!!

Date: December 16, 2023 22:57

VoodooLounge13

Short answer is - no.

Long answer - there are many dark places on the net where you can find a lot of information (useless to ordinary people).
When it comes to the discography an editions of The Rolling Stones - there is no ultimate site. Fans of this band did not breed somebody like Vernon Fitch (see his Pink Floyd archive [pinkfloydarchives.com])

You should get information from different places (discogs including). Apart of those MAF mentioned:
For Decca and London vinyl records there is a site by Jan Richardsson
[stonesondecca.com]
For different CDs, there is very good site by rollingandre
[rollingandre.jouwweb.nl]
Japanese editions up to 2006 were listed here
[www5f.biglobe.ne.jp]
(unfortunately, the part for 60s is dead)
Also, there was information about prices on promo CDs and list of CD singles by Matt Lee. Unfortunately, I can not remember where he posted those.
Regarding JJF (live). Do you mean this one?

This is not a promo, but limited regional European edition

It is relatively rare, but I would not pay more than 10€ for it. I paid less for VG+ copy on a flea market winking smiley.

PS. Keep in mind that many sites are not 100% correct and error free. But that is different story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-16 23:00 by ironbelly.

Date: December 17, 2023 02:41

Ironbelly,

That is indeed the version of JJF that I was referencing. A hole in my collection from long long ago. Great additional info. Thanks so much for compiling all this for me.

Date: December 17, 2023 03:35

VoodooLounge13
Ironbelly,

That is indeed the version of JJF that I was referencing. A hole in my collection from long long ago. Great additional info. Thanks so much for compiling all this for me.

I have the vinyl 45 for that single.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 17, 2023 06:18

I don't have many boots. Studio and live. Live ones, whatever the one is from 1973 that looks like GYYYO, mostly 1981, one from 1990 (the brilliant SEVENTH OF JULY), one from 1994 (with the best version of Shattered ever, Giants Stadium, what, SPARKS WILL FLY I think).

The VOODOO boot boxes, STATIC IN THE ATTIC and some BEGGARS one. Maybe some on vinyl. But I gave up for the most part after borrowing a couple of 1977 SOME GIRLS boots on vinyl.

It's flat out ridiculous to go after various studio boots and even worse with live boots.

So I dunno what number that makes me other than Rolling Stones Minus One.

Ha ha.

Date: December 18, 2023 07:42

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
Ironbelly,

Sure rub it in. LOL. Actually didn’t know it was a vinyl release too. Wasn’t into vinyl back then.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 18, 2023 10:53

I buy all official releases, vinyl wherever possible but on CD if not available on my beloved black plastic.

I'll buy multiple versions only if I suspect that a particular release will sound
better or especially good when compared to what I have already.

Modern "remasters" of older releases are often disappointing from a sound quality point of view ...but not always, and are sometimes worth having for the interesting differences in sonic character.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-18 16:46 by Spud.

Date: December 18, 2023 15:23

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
Ironbelly,

Sure rub it in. LOL. Actually didn’t know it was a vinyl release too. Wasn’t into vinyl back then.

I didn't know it was ever released in vinyl...saw it on ebay years ago and nabbed it.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2268
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home