Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Kate Bush Anyone?
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 10, 2023 23:10

So eccentric, so English and super talented. David Gilmour sponsored her when she was still a teen. Its a mixed bag but her best stuff is amazing.

Re: OT: Kate Bush Anyone?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 11, 2023 01:03

Really talented artist. Its nice that Running Up That Hill in Stranger Things has brought her back into the social consciousness, though I also think its a little sad that seemingly no one has used that as a springboard to listen to other stuff in her catalogue. She's way more than just that one song, but that exposure was enough to get her inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame this year. No way that happens without Stranger Things, but the overdue accolades are well deserved, not that I think she would really care about them of course.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 11, 2023 01:18

I can't think of anyone to compare her to . A unique talent. She's made some amazing music

sc uk

Date: October 11, 2023 01:23

Beautiful music. Also very romantic.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 11, 2023 03:22

yea Kate's cool got a few albums. Her Rocketman cover, yea cool...

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: October 11, 2023 12:20

straycatuk
I can't think of anyone to compare her to . A unique talent. She's made some amazing music

sc uk

Indeed. Tori Amos is the only one that I can think of who was clearly influenced by her. Amos said in an interview that it was too much of a compliment for her to be compared with Kate Bush. A humble statement.

Posted by: LondonLee ()
Date: October 11, 2023 18:21

Huge Kate Bush fan here.

Love the diversity of her work and how brave she is to often stick to what she wants to do rather than concentrate on making music she thinks others will like.

Not every album/track works - The Dreaming is still an album I struggle with - but she's never not interesting.

She's not for everyone but once you 'get' her you become gripped.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 11, 2023 23:21

My wife is crazy about her music like I am with the Stones

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 12, 2023 00:09

Kate Bush is brilliant singer and songwriter - she has a style which is unique.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 12, 2023 00:31

Greatest Living Englishwoman.

Is that high enough praise for ya?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 12, 2023 01:17

One of the greatest, she got it all

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 12, 2023 10:33

tomcat2006
My wife is crazy about her music like I am with the Stones

Ditto that... mine too, right from the early days.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 12, 2023 10:47

Gazza
Greatest Living Englishwoman.

Is that high enough praise for ya?

Absolutely. The Dreaming - not everyone's favourite - is a modern psychedelic masterpiece.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 12, 2023 15:10

There's a Kate Bush Efteling special from 1978 which was shot at...not a big surprise... in the Dutch amusement park "The Efteling". You can see there all kinds of fairytales etc. but also was there from 1978 until last summer a so
called "Spookslot", or translated in English a "ghost castle" and you can see Kate in- and outsite there in the video's. It's on Youtube.

Here's a clip:
[www.youtube.com]

another one:
[www.youtube.com]

This is the complete tv show:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ekelundh ()
Date: October 12, 2023 16:40

I don't know her music well enough to fully appreciate it but I hear the influence of Street Fighting Man in this version of Rubberband Girl.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 12, 2023 18:25

Big fan of her music since getting 'The Whole Story" compilation about 20 years ago. Full of sublime stuff.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 12, 2023 19:00

She filmed this performance - with a live vocal - as an interlude for her Hammersmith shows in 2014.

She spent so long in the water she actually got hypothermia. Talk about suffering for your art! You can see - and hear - that she's absolutely foundered.

video: [www.youtube.com]

I dont think Kate has even been photographed since those shows. She popped up unannounced on a BBC radio show a year or so ago to talk about the use of 'Running Up That Hill' in 'Stranger Things' but that seems to have been about it

Its remarkable how someone so well known - and she is HUGELY popular in the UK - can manage their own privacy as well as that. It wasnt even known publicly that she had a son for many years until Dave Gilmour let it slip in an interview.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-12 19:00 by Gazza.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 12, 2023 21:43

GJV
There's a Kate Bush Efteling special from 1978 which was shot at...not a big surprise... in the Dutch amusement park "The Efteling". You can see there all kinds of fairytales etc. but also was there from 1978 until last summer a so
called "Spookslot", or translated in English a "ghost castle" and you can see Kate in- and outsite there in the video's. It's on Youtube.

Here's a clip:
[www.youtube.com]

another one:
[www.youtube.com]

This is the complete tv show:
[www.youtube.com]

Saw it a some time ago nicely done, pity the video quality isn't that good

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 12, 2023 21:49

The closest equivalent that I can think of- not stylistically but in that seriously weird but totally original and over my head most of the time way- would be Bjork. I don't own any of her stuff but major props and artistically streets ahead of alot of whats out there.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 12, 2023 22:01

Kate Bush is a great creative force, a true stand alone artist.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 3, 2023 07:16

I haven't listened to a ton of her music, but I had Hounds Of Love and used to listen to it a lot back in the day. I always thought it was very visual, if that makes sense. I used to imagine lots of detailed scenes to go along with the album.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 3, 2023 10:56

Does she still make albums and play concerts?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 3, 2023 11:01

Koen
Does she still make albums and play concerts?

She's quite reclusive and inactive, generally, so who knows? I don't suspect she's retired. I don't think Kate Bush has ever enjoyed touring. Aside from a number of shows in 2014, she hasn't performed much since 1979.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 3, 2023 11:05

Love Kate Bush. Someone above compared her to Bjork which I think is totally spot on. Wish Kate would tour the US.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home