Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Keith Richards on The Howard Stern Show, October 11, 2023
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 12, 2023 15:55

24FPS
So fantastic for Bill to finally get his due for his part on Satisfaction. Initiated by Paul Simon no less. I've wondered for years why no one brought it up.

I bet Mick went right out and added Bill's name to the song writing credits after that interviews!

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 12, 2023 15:57

do these howard stern interviews ever find their way on to YouTube after some time has passed (for us no sirius people!)?

Posted by: esqcjh ()
Date: October 12, 2023 16:30

Listened to the interview and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now seeing the pictures Keith looks fantastic. Hoping to see them perform soon !

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 12, 2023 19:28

HalfNanker
24FPS
So fantastic for Bill to finally get his due for his part on Satisfaction. Initiated by Paul Simon no less. I've wondered for years why no one brought it up.

I bet Mick went right out and added Bill's name to the song writing credits after that interviews!

And Brian to Ruby Tuesday. And Bill to Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: October 12, 2023 19:36

keefriffhards
Wuudy
RaahenTiikeri
Keith looks younger and healthier than..10 years ago.

I was thinking the same. What a difference!

At this point Keith looking healthier than his friends who led a healthy life, as for his age most are dead already, Keith really did prove drinking, drugging and smoking can work for the chosen few.

Comments online saying this was a great interview from Keith and Howard.thumbs up

A pickled life: drinking, drugging, smoking , vinegar, salt, water ... and no cheese!

Date: October 12, 2023 23:02

Wow what is going on? Keith drank some special drink which made him younger?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 12, 2023 23:43

That trend started in 2022, he was really energetic on stage. Maybe that's what encouraged Mick to ask him if he was game to "blitz" through an album at the end of the tour...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 13, 2023 00:17

GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse
RSB sounds great and LBTS doesn't sound like the "dud" described in most reviews. Mick's voice is treated like on "Break The Spell" so that's a good start. Wonder who does the count in, Don Was ? So there are at least two count-ins on the album, after only one (Sway) in 60 years !

Eh, 1991.
Mick counted in New Faces didn’t he?

yes your right

and i'm a little confused by 1991 neither sex drive or highwire have a count-in in any version that i have

Oh crap. You're right - it's not on the album! The promo single for Highwire has the count in! LOL forgot about that.

i didn't know that

thanks now i have another version to get

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 13, 2023 00:50

Glad that Keith gave some credit to Bill
Any mention of BRIAN or STU in this interview?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-13 00:52 by schillid.

Posted by: glimmer0 ()
Date: October 13, 2023 01:00

Audio of interview

[we.tl]

Posted by: usetobesampeg ()
Date: October 13, 2023 01:52

glimmer0
Audio of interview

[we.tl]

Thank you !

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 13, 2023 02:47

glimmer0
Audio of interview

[we.tl]

Thanks so much! What a great interview by someone who's a combo of a huge fan and a colleague from another business...!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 13, 2023 03:04

glimmer0
Audio of interview

[we.tl]

thank you!

Date: October 13, 2023 03:04

When did this interview take place?

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: October 13, 2023 03:42

schillid

Oct 11th

I love when Keith/Howard exchange talks about the Satisfaction bass line underneath Keith's iconic riff. Keith very complimentary of Bill in that moment, sweet recognition of Wyman.

I really love this interview, Howard an obvious fan as heard in his Let It Loose remarks, shtt, that almost made me tear up smileys with beer

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 13, 2023 04:22

glimmer0
Audio of interview

[we.tl]

Thanks a lot, that intro of Tell Me Straight at 59:35 sounds fantastic.

Posted by: ekelundh ()
Date: October 13, 2023 15:29

Thanks for sharing. Great interview, pretty funny on many occasions. Snippets of new songs sounds promising. Interesting to hear about early songwriting and songs they gave other acts. Great to hear him talking about his father, Anita and Charlie. Auntie Reg'. Surprisingly to me, talking about SftDevil Keith brings in Marianne Faithful to the songwriting even claiming she wrote half of it. Hmm.

Keith Richards on The Howard Stern Show, October 11, 2023
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 13, 2023 17:18

schillid

Interview was recorded October 5th.

Keith Richards Visits SiriusXM's 'The Howard Stern Show'

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - OCTOBER 05: Keith Richards visits SiriusXM's 'The Howard Stern Show' at SiriusXM Studios on October 05, 2023 in New York City. (Photo by Cindy Ord/Getty Images for SiriusXM)

[www.gettyimages.co.uk]

Date: October 13, 2023 17:48

bye bye johnny
schillid

Interview was recorded October 5th.

thanks
bye
bye
johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-13 18:28 by schillid.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: October 13, 2023 18:23

glimmer0
Audio of interview

[we.tl]

Thank you very much!

Date: October 13, 2023 18:46

It's around 1 hr 23 in, when Howard starts talking about how Let It Loose always makes him cry, and then he opens up a little about his childhood and how important that song and the Stones were to him.

“When I hear this I cry," he says. "I’m not @#$%& with you. I want to say this to you without breaking down. I didn’t love my childhood. But this song, the songs you wrote, that was the only time I could feel, because I couldn’t allow myself to feel, if I did I would’ve had a nervous breakdown.”

And Keith makes this amazing throaty noise as Howard says this, a throaty blues of empathy and understanding - maybe to bring joy, you need to understand pain. ‘Hhhurrrruummm that’s ... .... I’m glad to have been of help, brother’ - and he says it with such humanity and tenderness.

“You really were of help. And this song more than anything, it is the most beautiful song.”

Yeah, it is.

It is a very moving moment in a lovely extended conversation which I loved listening to. ‘Thank you brother’. Let it loose. Yeah, it made me well up too.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 13, 2023 18:59

Does he discuss Brian ?

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: October 13, 2023 20:18

I thought it was a great interview. Howard showed his love and respect for Keith. I think some of that surprised Keith. Hopefully Keith comes back again. I can’t ask for anything else as Howard asked both Mick and Keith why they don’t play
Let it Loose! Bravo!!!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 13, 2023 22:53

MadMetaphoricalMax
It's around 1 hr 23 in, when Howard starts talking about how Let It Loose always makes him cry, and then he opens up a little about his childhood and how important that song and the Stones were to him.

“When I hear this I cry," he says. "I’m not @#$%& with you. I want to say this to you without breaking down. I didn’t love my childhood. But this song, the songs you wrote, that was the only time I could feel, because I couldn’t allow myself to feel, if I did I would’ve had a nervous breakdown.”

And Keith makes this amazing throaty noise as Howard says this, a throaty blues of empathy and understanding - maybe to bring joy, you need to understand pain. ‘Hhhurrrruummm that’s ... .... I’m glad to have been of help, brother’ - and he says it with such humanity and tenderness.

“You really were of help. And this song more than anything, it is the most beautiful song.”

Yeah, it is.

It is a very moving moment in a lovely extended conversation which I loved listening to. ‘Thank you brother’. Let it loose. Yeah, it made me well up too.

Different strokes for different folks. As a longtime Howard fan I found this to be the most pathetic and cringeworthy part of the interview. For a number of reasons:

1. because in the last 10 years Howard has tried to reinvent his childhood as this horrible period where he was nothing but depressed. He was fine, he had very loving and supportive parents, and of course he connected with music the way we all did, but he makes it sound nowadays like he was suicidal when its well documented (by him in the past) that that was not the case.

2. because Howard is actually a fan. Why he has to go out of his way to prove it all the time is just strange. He did the same with Paul Simon a couple of weeks ago. There's obviously making people feel comfortable, and then there's just going overboard. I can only imagine he feels he has to do that nowadays because artists will do interviews with everyone from Fallon to Andy Cohen, so Howard feels like he needs to stand out more as a true fan. But he comes off sounding awkward to the guests. Howard interviewed Paul McCartney 20 years ago for the first time and you can hear the night and day difference from then to today where then he was reverential while also still being himself and conducting a good interview. What we have now is a really pale imitation in my mind.

3. because he tries to fit all of these musicians into a box, of which they almost always disagree with him but he still keeps pushing the narrative. Instead of really asking them insightful questions, its like he's following a checklist, so every interview ends up kinda sounding the same. Its really up to the guest to do the heavy lifting, and thats when Howard's not interrupting every 2 seconds. There were a number of times when Howard said something expecting some sort of praise and Keith just gave a "yeah ok." There were no moments though similar to Robert Plant laughing in Howard's face for suggesting Jimmy Page was actually the love of Robert's life.

I know all of this will make me sound butthurt against Howard and I'm really not. I listened and liked the interview, and it was better than Mick which was an incredibly low bar, but the potential here is so much better than what Howard can muster these days. Keith could have this kind of interview with anyone whereas Howard interviews used to be pretty one of a kind (and not necessarily dirty as his reputation precedes). You maybe just have to know Howard more to know how some of it comes off (and maybe I would benefit from knowing less about him), but Keith did a really great job here and IMO Howard was better when he wasn't talking like the section above, cause it came off so phoney and trying to me. Genuinely though, if it moved other people I'm not trying to rain on their parade and I'm glad they got something out of it.

Date: October 13, 2023 23:14

Fair enough - my knowledge of Howard Stern is just about zero so I came to him fairly cold! Still moved me though!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 13, 2023 23:21

MadMetaphoricalMax
Fair enough - my knowledge of Howard Stern is just about zero so I came to him fairly cold! Still moved me though!

Which is how he wants it these days! But seriously, I enjoyed the interview too and I'm nitpicking when there's probably no reason to be. Sincerely glad people enjoyed and were moved by some of it. In the end, I'm still really happy we have Keith Richards around.

Date: October 13, 2023 23:39

Taylor1
Does he discuss Brian ?

In the snippet talking about the naming of the Stones would have been the perfect time to mention Brian. Keith talked about the phone call and the MW record nearby, but not the man who made the call, both on the phone, and to name the group. Maybe Brian is mentioned somewhere else in the interview.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 14, 2023 01:25

Yes, he does talk a bit about Brian after Howard brings up how Brian must have felt put off by Mick and Keith's songwriting. Keith went on to tell how he stole Anita from Brian...

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 14, 2023 01:59

Just listened to the whole thing. Overall a great interview. Howard asked a lot of questions and covered a lot of ground. Would love to have Keith come back for round two. It was actually better than I thought it would be. Bill and Charlie got their due. You know a name that never came up, Ron Wood. (Or Ian Stewart, but that's a bit more obscure). Or Mick Taylor. See, there's still a lot to talk about.

I did notice Keith got uncomfortable and said he didn't want to talk about it when the whole Brian/Anita/Keith thing came up. It felt like something personal had been breached.

Date: October 14, 2023 03:21

keefriffhards

At this point Keith looking healthier than his friends who led a healthy life, as for his age most are dead already, Keith really did prove drinking, drugging and smoking can work for the chosen few.

thumbs up

What you should've said is "booze and pills and powders, you can choose your medicine."

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1955
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home