Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 29
Re: "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"- with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder - due out Sep 28
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 29, 2023 22:54

erikjjf
snoopy2
Haven’t been able to find credits for who are playing the horns? Anyone know?

James King - sax
Ron Blake - trumpet

Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 22:59 by snoopy2.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 29, 2023 23:54

Yes, sorry then - but my Some Girls album had lyrics. A sheet. Then I understood all the shadoobies, shuduubies...how they were spelled. I´m very much from Sweden...cool smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 30, 2023 00:09

This song blows away anything on a Bigger Bang

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: September 30, 2023 00:36

gotdablouse
Do we really need to have these endless off-topic discussions with 10 levels of quotes about lyric sheets here ?! Please go start another thread if you're keen on the topic, thanks.

Back to SSOH, am I the only one (pleasantly) reminded of some Pink Floyd songs, especially in the bridge, with a female choir over a lower voice ? Guess Matt's Hammond organ helps too ;-)

Am I the only one reminded of some Black Crowes song?

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 30, 2023 00:40

spain73
gotdablouse
Do we really need to have these endless off-topic discussions with 10 levels of quotes about lyric sheets here ?! Please go start another thread if you're keen on the topic, thanks.

Back to SSOH, am I the only one (pleasantly) reminded of some Pink Floyd songs, especially in the bridge, with a female choir over a lower voice ? Guess Matt's Hammond organ helps too ;-)

Seeing things ?

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 30, 2023 00:49

Taylor1

I'll take Laugh I Nearly Died any day over this one. More genuine and less bombastic. smileys with beer

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: September 30, 2023 00:54

Lien
spain73
gotdablouse

Seeing things ?

Well, that Stax taste with that growing groovy rhythm and female chorus. Listen to all those usual chords changes...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-30 01:09 by spain73.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 30, 2023 01:40

Go back to basement again clovnriffhard,and stay there for 10 years

Hackney diamonds
Posted by: bjornkasm ()
Date: September 30, 2023 01:44

My first comments.
Angry: Feels like a good rock'n'roll song
It grows after every listening.

Sweet sounds of heaven:
Fantastic! I was afraid of a
soul tune, but this is rock, blues, gospel
at the best!

20 October will be this years
christmas!
/ Björn

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: September 30, 2023 02:16

SomeGuy
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO
Definitely like it a lot. But I do miss the days when we couldn't look up the lyrics. Trying to figure out what Mick said and getting other peoples interpretations was part of the fun!

Since Black And Blue every Stones album came with a lyric sheet (Blue And Lonesome didn't, though, or maybe only the limited edition).

Did Undercover come with lyric sheets?

I don’t think lyrics were included until Dirty Work.

I have the original lps still and they all have lyrics, from 1976 on. Some had separate sheets (Black And Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo You, Undercover), some had printed inner sleeves (Emotional Rescue, Dirty Work). You can check the Discogs site to see all the various editions that were around at the time.

I had the US copy of Black and Blue, Some Girls, Emotional and Tattoo you. The only one I vaguely remember having lyrics included was I think Tattoo You. I definetly do not believe the were included in Black and Blue unless it was some kind of deluxe release, same with ER.

I remember my friend thought a line from "She's so cold" was "I'm so Hyper er". When we told him it was "I'm so hot for for her" He lit up with a big smile and said "that makes sense"...lol.....

I did search google on some of the discogrophy sites and I could not find anything that mentioned that lyrics were included in Black and Blue and ER. I don't believe some Girls had the lyrics included in the US originals either.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 30, 2023 03:11

Rewind was the first USA release to have lyrics, and every studio album since Dirty Work. Don’t know about other countries. Liked it better when you had to guess. I remember buying the music piano books for most of the albums because I didn’t know the lyrics.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 30, 2023 04:17

The same folks on here that have to pick everything apart. The song isn't new. Tattoo You wasn't new. Mick's voice is too high. STFU this song is beautiful. You people would probably bith that you won the lottery and the taxman takes too much. Just enjoy the band. We have a song that lives up to the legacy something I'd been hoping for a long time. Mick singing grown up lyrics and finally confronting his own mortality its fantastic!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 30, 2023 04:27

spain73
gotdablouse

Ha, first time I've heard of the Stones sounding like the Black Crowes and not the other way around.

OK, She Talks To Angels must be the one you're talking about. I think maybe vaguely in the same vein, but as much as I like that Crowes song there is much more going on in this one.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 30, 2023 05:22

The last time I felt amazed by hearing a new Stones song to the point of playing it on repeat was when "Plundered my Soul" was released (although it was not technically a "new" song). This time they've done it again, only better.

Knowing that the album has a "anger" theme, as said by Mick, and its artwork refers to "relationships and harsh elements", this song fits perfectly near the end of the record. I predict a emotional rollercoaster hearing it in the order of the album, with "Rolling Stone Blues" closing it perfectly.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: September 30, 2023 06:36

It has been a very long time since an epic Rolling Stones ballad sent genuine chills down my spine... the kind I got when listening to You Can't Always Get What You Want, or Moonlight Mile, or Shine a Light, or Winter, or Waiting For A Friend, or even Time Waits For No One.

I put my headphones on (loud) and listened to the just-released Sweet Sounds Of Heaven... and it gave me those familiar old chills. I never expected it. The song is stunning. And deeply moving. Jagger and his Stones and sidemen, Lady Gaga, and Stevie Wonder (!!)... they all produced some kind of magic. The song is Rock and Roll and Soul and Stax and Gospel and it is magnificent... a heartfelt declaration of purpose to look to the Light and feel Gratitude and NOT to end up mired in the darkness and destruction like so many of their peers and contemporaries, (Brian Jones, Gram Parsons, Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison all come immediately to mind).

To think that this is the demonic band of skinny, ultra-decadent badasses that created Sympathy For The Devil... and now this... 55 years later... long after 99.9999% of their fans and doubters were beyond convinced that they had nothing more to say... and during these darkest of days when all seems to be swirling out of control... they deliver this...

These dudes are the ultimate Soul Survivors.

Date: September 30, 2023 07:59

Press is raving

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: September 30, 2023 08:14

Is there an official Stones video for this song? I've seen a couple of different lyric videos on YouTube but I'm not sure if those are simply fan-made or not.

I recall that for "One More Shot", the official video was in fact just a lyric video, so perhaps that's the case again now....thanks!

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-30 08:21 by sf37.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 30, 2023 08:52

treaclefingers
spain73
gotdablouse

Ha, first time I've heard of the Stones sounding like the Black Crowes and not the other way around.

OK, She Talks To Angels must be the one you're talking about. I think maybe vaguely in the same vein, but as much as I like that Crowes song there is much more going on in this one.

I wonder if the Black Crowes had ever heard Exile before we then heard Moneymaker?

Rod

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 30, 2023 08:52

Finally got to hear this. I like it.

Just kidding, I was liking it till Lady Gaga started singing, then I started loving it. Also, lyrics are ace.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 30, 2023 10:04

Retired_dog,
did you not like the 60s and 70s when Mick and Keith did harmonies and backing vocals together in the studio and live performances, does it not still work today live on the odd occasion they play Ruby Tuesday, Memory Motel etc. I wonder did Keith relegate himself from Studio and live harmonies etc.
Sure Keith does get the odd oppertunity but not so much, just a pity as his voice meshes well with Micks,
Keith's voice might have been a welcome addition higher in the mix on SSOH.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 30, 2023 10:25

TheBlockbuster
Taylor1

I'll take Laugh I Nearly Died any day over this one. More genuine and less bombastic. smileys with beer

Love LIND too, and who here doesn't, and I probably prefer the terrific "early version" on FFSO (the guitars front/left/center and not just an "afterthought", Mick going mad and wild) too but you've got to acknowledge that SSOH has a lot more "mainstream" appeal, just look at all the raving reviews. It's a mix of things, the lyrics, the guests, the bombastic chord changes (much more subtle in LIND), the use of a familiar "Stax" structure, etc...but at the end of the day it's "popular" music and it's great for die-hards to see "their" band getting back into the limelight.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: September 30, 2023 10:28

keefriffhards
Retired_dog,
did you not like the 60s and 70s when Mick and Keith did harmonies and backing vocals together in the studio and live performances, does it not still work today live on the odd occasion they play Ruby Tuesday, Memory Motel etc. I wonder did Keith relegate himself from Studio and live harmonies etc.
Sure Keith does get the odd oppertunity but not so much, just a pity as his voice meshes well with Micks,

But Micks voice is still almost as it always have been, Keiths not so much. They won’t mesh like the 60s or 70s anymore.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 30, 2023 11:25

sf37

Is there an official Stones video for this song?

It's on the official Rolling Stones YouTube channel :

[www.YouTube.com]

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: September 30, 2023 11:43

I love the Stones....
But I really didn't expect they would bring tears in my eyes because of a new song...

They did it again...
incredible

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: September 30, 2023 12:05

TheBlockbuster
Taylor1

thumbs up i second that

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 30, 2023 12:13

bobo
keefriffhards
Retired_dog,

But Micks voice is still almost as it always have been, Keiths not so much. They won’t mesh like the 60s or 70s anymore.

Don't agree, plenty of examples all over youtube where Keith's voice has got better over the years, have you heard Keith and Nora Jones Love Hurts.
Keith and Mick sound great live to this day on songs mentioned above.
Mick's voice is actually manufactured in the studio, he doesn't sound anything like the same live.
Hoping Keith's got a couple good ones on the new album.
It's exciting because i really didn't expect anything like the first two singles, absolutely brilliant, such a creative period for Mick in particular.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 30, 2023 12:20

I dont. Great energy these days. No drugs. Bigger Bang was dark, and Mick had to try to get along with the myth, Keith Richards. And Infamy says it all. Keith was very much losing his touch. That´s how I see it. Mick is driving this train, but it´s no longer a wreck. Now Mick can trust his friend. Great energy - great songs and albums.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 30, 2023 13:24

Mick is the driving force, undisputed. But unfair to forget that in between Infamy and HD Keith (with the strong help and motivation of SJ) has put out a great and soulfull solo album.

And, talking about Stax soul heritage in the Stones camp, while Mick's LIND is my fav on ABB, nothing compares lately with Keith's Lover's plea on CHH

Posted by: LorenzAgain ()
Date: September 30, 2023 13:26

I’ve had this song on repeat since the release and I love it. I keep discovering grooves, licks, horn parts, vocals. @#$%& amazing, I know it’s totally strange for people who just listen to music in the background and that’s it, but I get that great joy from this song that I only get from the best Stones songs.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: September 30, 2023 13:30

Irix
sf37

Is there an official Stones video for this song?

It's on the official Rolling Stones YouTube channel :

[www.YouTube.com]

Thank you, Irix!

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home