Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: NME returns…at a price
Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: September 23, 2023 10:30

[www.bbc.co.uk]

NME was essential reading in UK for those of us who were teenagers in the 60s and 70s. I haven’t read it for many years and shan’t be buying the new editions. I can’t get on with modern music and who needs yet another retrospective on the Stones or Led Zep or the Who. The journalists who wrote for NME and elsewhere back in the day have already published their memories and I hope that the likes of Nick Kent and Charles Shaar Murray are doing well because their work made NME what is was.

Re: OT: NME returns…at a price
Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: September 23, 2023 16:59

Iconic name.

They have to find a new identity.

All the best for them.

Date: September 23, 2023 17:14

There was a great interview with Jagger in the NME around the release of Emotional Rescue where he really lays in to the NME for posing as Punk and rebellious while also being IPC Media corporate hags. By that time they slagged off the Stones relentlessly, so bully for him.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: September 25, 2023 19:23

Yes that was Paul Morley, if memory serves. I remember him saying in his introduction to the piece that his mum had warned him to 'be careful' when he left home that morning, having told her that he was off to interview Mick Jagger.
I had the article among many others in a Stones scrapbook that I tragically left behind when i ran out on a landlord who'd threatened violence.
The headline was a quote from Mick: 'Just put it's on sale on the cover'. It made him out to be cynical and out of touch. The fact that Emotional Rescue was widely seen as being such a let down after Some Girls didn't help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home