Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones, Now USA First Press Stereo album
Posted by: bmandolini ()
Date: September 12, 2023 23:08

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask a question about this USA First Press Stereo album:

London PS 420 - THE ROLLING STONES, NOW!

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
Down Home Girl
You Can't Catch Me
Heart of Stone
What a Shame
Mona (I Need You Baby)
Down the Road Apiece
Off the Hook
Pain in My Heart
Oh Baby (We Got a Good Thing Going)
Little Red Rooster
Surprise, Surprise

I wanted to ask if all 12 songs are in stereo version or if some are in mono version. Thank you all.

Re: The Rolling Stones, Now USA First Press Stereo album
Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: September 12, 2023 23:37

Some might know this better, imo tracks 2 and 3 were mono, all others electronicly reprocessed stereo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 13, 2023 01:02

I thought all the recordings from Chess were in stereo.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: September 15, 2023 01:04

All tracks on “Now” - Stereo, London PS 420 are in Electronically Re-Processed Stereo . . . .
None in Mono - none in True Stereo.

Yes, - the Chess recordings were recorded in True Stereo, - but had that strange fate on many early releases, - that they were folded down to Mono - and then produced in ERPS !
The quality is mildly spoken dubious ! ! !

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 15, 2023 18:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-16 15:03 by Koen.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 15, 2023 19:38

It seems that all their pre-1966 stereo-mixes are scattered all over the place. It’d be nice if all their ‘true’ stereo-mixes from this period were to be compiled officially. Many of them are no-longer available.

* I state ‘pre-1966’, as it is my understanding that the U.K. DECCA version of Aftermath represented their first ‘true stereo’ album. The London release, I believe, is the ‘electronically reprocessed’ nonsense.

Date: September 16, 2023 09:22

Big Al
It seems that all their pre-1966 stereo-mixes are scattered all over the place. It’d be nice if all their ‘true’ stereo-mixes from this period were to be compiled officially. Many of them are no-longer available.

* I state ‘pre-1966’, as it is my understanding that the U.K. DECCA version of Aftermath represented their first ‘true stereo’ album. The London release, I believe, is the ‘electronically reprocessed’ nonsense.

Actually the absolute majority of the pre-1966 True Stereo material is available
on the 2002 and on - releases . . . with very few exceptions.

Regarding the US London Aftermath, - Stereo, it was True Stereo.
It was the US London Mono release that was tricky.
The UK Mono Aftermath were True Mono Mixes, - but the US-release is supposed to
be fold-downs.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 16, 2023 10:28

HenrikBB
Big Al

Actually the absolute majority of the pre-1966 True Stereo material is available

be fold-downs.

Thanks, HenrikBB.

Would I be correct in thinking that the stereo-mixes of Satisfaction and Play With Fire are currently unavailable? Were they not only available on the West German version of Hot Rocks, or some release like that?

Date: September 18, 2023 22:43

Big Al
HenrikBB
Big Al

be fold-downs.

Thanks, HenrikBB.

Would I be correct in thinking that the stereo-mixes of Satisfaction and Play With Fire are currently unavailable? Were they not only available on the West German version of Hot Rocks, or some release like that?

Spot on Big Al ! . . . . plus Get Off Of My Cloud, - and Yeah, only available on West Germany/Japan Hot Rocks 1 CD.
I think the only pre-‘66 True Stereo release, not available on CD at all, is Everybody Needs Somebody, - long version, which can only be found on vinyl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-18 22:54 by HenrikBB.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 19, 2023 13:11

This might be of interest to you:

[iorr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home