Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021
Current Page: 21 of 21
Re: Rolling Stones LIVE in conversation with Jimmy Fallon, September 6
Date: September 9, 2023 16:44

treaclefingers
bye bye johnny
MadMetaphoricalMax
Ha ha yeah!
In fact I've written about them a bit, covered Hyde Park last year, Twickenham 2018, as well as the various archive releases and Blue and Lonesome, and so got a press invite and the green wrist band, got a seat at the front, and enjoyed the afternoon immensely, in the theatre and in the pub and outside at the security barriers with the crowd. In fact, I've just put up a reflection on the experience on The Arts Desk, which is here, and hope isn't too garbled:
[theartsdesk.com]

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, great read Tim, thanks for that! One tiny error...you say in "some 69 years later" which would put Mick at 11 years old and Keith at 10!

Thank you and aargh yes I must change that figure now! They weren't a boy band after all...

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: September 10, 2023 12:48

MadMetaphoricalMax
treaclefingers
bye bye johnny
MadMetaphoricalMax
Ha ha yeah!
In fact I've written about them a bit, covered Hyde Park last year, Twickenham 2018, as well as the various archive releases and Blue and Lonesome, and so got a press invite and the green wrist band, got a seat at the front, and enjoyed the afternoon immensely, in the theatre and in the pub and outside at the security barriers with the crowd. In fact, I've just put up a reflection on the experience on The Arts Desk, which is here, and hope isn't too garbled:
[theartsdesk.com]

Yes, great read Tim, thanks for that! One tiny error...you say in "some 69 years later" which would put Mick at 11 years old and Keith at 10!

Thank you and aargh yes I must change that figure now! They weren't a boy band after all...

Realy nice writing! Thank you.

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: September 10, 2023 20:56

micha063
MadMetaphoricalMax
treaclefingers
bye bye johnny
MadMetaphoricalMax
Ha ha yeah!
[theartsdesk.com]

Yes, very well written. Much appreciated. But why - if I may ask - didn't you close your piece with a few thoughts and feelings about the reason for the event, the single itself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-10 23:10 by mkbbcmr.

Date: September 10, 2023 23:10

mkbbcmr
micha063
MadMetaphoricalMax
treaclefingers
bye bye johnny
MadMetaphoricalMax
Ha ha yeah!
[theartsdesk.com]

Yes, very well written. Much appreciated. But why - if I may ask - didn't you close your piece with a few thoughts and feelings about the reason for the event, the single itself? Lack of space?

Thanks! I felt I wanted to keep it to an experiential account of the press conference, rather than adding my opinion on the single and presentation of the event - I felt the news and info had been everywhere already, and if I included that, with a review of it, for a piece running on a Friday lunchtime, it would already be old hat.
Also, more significantly, I had to have it ready and up online, formatted, links added etc for the editors at The Arts Desk to check it over, by noon that day, and I hadn't turned on the computer till half nine, so I just ran out of time...!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 11, 2023 10:38

Dorn
Irix
Universal Music Japan has a transcription of the Sept. 6th press conference - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] :

The Rolling Stones have announced the release of their first new studio album in 18 years, "Hackney Diamonds", .

tks Irix, great find thumbs up

Yes great find but there's quite a bit of "interesting stuff" I remember that's not there, like Mick saying that he "shouldn't say that" about the Charlie recordings and Bill being indignant when asked if he still played bass. Will need to go back to the video.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: September 11, 2023 11:33

MadMetaphoricalMax
mkbbcmr
micha063
MadMetaphoricalMax
treaclefingers
bye bye johnny
MadMetaphoricalMax
Ha ha yeah!
[theartsdesk.com]

Yes, very well written. Much appreciated. But why - if I may ask - didn't you close your piece with a few thoughts and feelings about the reason for the event, the single itself? Lack of space?

Thanks! I felt I wanted to keep it to an experiential account of the press conference, rather than adding my opinion on the single and presentation of the event - I felt the news and info had been everywhere already, and if I included that, with a review of it, for a piece running on a Friday lunchtime, it would already be old hat.
Also, more significantly, I had to have it ready and up online, formatted, links added etc for the editors at The Arts Desk to check it over, by noon that day, and I hadn't turned on the computer till half nine, so I just ran out of time...!

Understood. Been there myself often times. Thanks again.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 11, 2023 21:09

gotdablouse
Yes great find but there's quite a bit of "interesting stuff" I remember that's not there, like Mick saying that he "shouldn't say that" about the Charlie recordings and Bill being indignant when asked if he still played bass. Will need to go back to the video.

Mick's comment about Bill is from this interview with Sky News.

Date: September 12, 2023 01:47

Thanks for setting me straight ;-)

The "shouldn't really say that" part is in the Fallon PC though at 6:27 [www.youtube.com] - it's not really clear what the issue is though and it makes sense to have dropped it from the transcription...does it maybe mean that Steve also played on the two Charlie tracks ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: September 12, 2023 09:02

gotdablouse

The "shouldn't really say that" part is in the Fallon PC though at 6:27 [www.youtube.com] - it's not really clear what the issue is though and it makes sense to have dropped it from the transcription...does it maybe mean that Steve also played on the two Charlie tracks ?

I understood that part as: "and so 10, well I think actually it's not true 'cause he's not on one, most of them is Steve". So I would think that Steve is only on 9 songs of the album. Maybe there's another drummer on one or one song without any drums at all (Rolling Stone Blues?). We'll see.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 12, 2023 15:38

mike567
gotdablouse

I understood that part as: "and so 10, well I think actually it's not true 'cause he's not on one, most of them is Steve". So I would think that Steve is only on 9 songs of the album. Maybe there's another drummer on one or one song without any drums at all (Rolling Stone Blues?). We'll see.

That's also how I interpreted it and I think as well that "Rolling Stone Blues" is the one without drums. I read that Andy Watt handed Keith a guitar from the 1920s and asked them to do the song. So it can well be that RS blues is just Keith and Mick, similar to the performance of "Country Honk" we've seen in the Ole documentary.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 13, 2023 00:15

StonedRambler

So it can well be that RS blues is just Keith and Mick, similar to the performance of "Country Honk" we've seen in the Ole documentary.

By the way .... 'Rolling Stone Blues' by Jaime Saso (2019) :

[www.YouTube.com] , [www.Qobuz.com] , [www.Facebook.com]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 13, 2023 09:49

Well, at least there's "some kinda Stones connection" there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-13 09:49 by Topi.

Date: September 13, 2023 16:45

StonedRambler
mike567
gotdablouse

That's also how I interpreted it and I think as well that "Rolling Stone Blues" is the one without drums. I read that Andy Watt handed Keith a guitar from the 1920s and asked them to do the song. So it can well be that RS blues is just Keith and Mick, similar to the performance of "Country Honk" we've seen in the Ole documentary.

Makes sense !

--------------

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 13, 2023 19:19

Hopefully that's the case. The other possibility is the funk tune uses a rhythm track programmed by Matt Clifford.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 14, 2023 00:39

The other day Keith was interviewed, when asked about his longevity he said I'm not revealing my secret I'm just riding the wave, he looked really young and cool, can anyone find that clip of interview please, I've looked but no luck.
It was the same day as Jimmy Fallon interview.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 14, 2023 10:34

"he looked really young and cool" - which century was this interview? winking smiley

Date: September 14, 2023 12:52

Today's Hackney Gazette:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 14, 2023 13:11

Diamond geezers ........HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaa Love it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 15, 2023 07:11

Rockman
Diamond geezers ........HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaa Love it

"Diamond geezer" always reminds me of Hale & Pace.

Or The Fast Show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-15 07:12 by Topi.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 15, 2023 07:27

When I hear geezer i
always fink of Danny Dyer ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 15, 2023 08:03

MadMetaphoricalMax
treaclefingers
bye bye johnny
MadMetaphoricalMax
Ha ha yeah!
[theartsdesk.com]

HA! Your bit about them "breaking even" with '10 million views of their new single "Angry" on YouTube within a day or so, and you get the feeling they’ll cover their expenses once Hackney Diamonds, and its associated merch, finally lands on 20 October' is kinda funny since, as Mick expressed, there's no money in streaming.

As in, not sure what that equates to in the UK etc per stream with YouTube ($.002 per stream), Spotify ($.004 cents per stream) and Apple ($.008 per stream) in the U.S. but there's barely any money in it for artists no matter what.

Hard copies are still the way to go.

You can bet your whatever that, even with people buying a hard copy, a majority of listening will be streaming.

Dystopian? As much as I don't disagree in regard to the outdated modality of what they're doing (although obviously not overall), it's real - and it still counts. As much as music is social media and streaming driven and consumed, the real deal is still alive and well.

Great article!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 15, 2023 13:35

GasLightStreet

As in, not sure what that equates to in the UK etc per stream with YouTube ($.002 per stream), Spotify ($.004 per stream) and Apple ($.008 per stream) in the U.S. but there's barely any money in it for artists no matter what.

For instance, 'Paint It Black' was streamed 970 million times on Spotify only - [iorr.org] . 970 mn x $0.004 = $3,880,000. Almost 4 million dollars for nothing other than playing back a 57 years old track. Not bad.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 15, 2023 14:44

Irix
GasLightStreet

As in, not sure what that equates to in the UK etc per stream with YouTube ($.002 per stream), Spotify ($.004 per stream) and Apple ($.008 per stream) in the U.S. but there's barely any money in it for artists no matter what.

For instance, 'Paint It Black' was streamed 970 million times on Spotify only - [iorr.org] . 970 mn x $0.004 = $3,880,000. Almost 4 million dollars for nothing other than playing back a 57 years old track. Not bad.

Yeah, maybe Mick is referring to record business over-all compared to touring..

Billboard has these interesting statistics for the year 2021. The Stones were globally the second best earning act in the world after Taylor Swift (number one in US market though).

Sales royalties: $4.3M (US: $2M)
Streaming royalties: $4.5M (US: $3.1M)
Global streaming count: 2.2B
(Box Office Take: $44.4M)

So I think they take or should take the streaming business pretty seriously, especially in US market. Especially if there will be no touring or some new hot release (I guess a big percentage of sales royalties derives from GOATS HEAD SOUP reissue, but the streaming royalties from the whole catalogue).

EDIT: I posted this also into statistics thread, since I think it suits there better, and is a bit OT here.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-15 15:21 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021
Current Page: 21 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home