Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 17 of 21
Re: Rolling Stones LIVE in conversation with Jimmy Fallon, September 6
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 6, 2023 20:59

Video from Sky News - camera doesn't pan to Fallon once.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:06

Doxa
DiegoGlimmerStones
America next year according to Ronnie [youtu.be]

Interesting other stuff there also, thanks!

If I understood Mick right, Macca is on "punk song", and Mick was even surprised how well he plays the bass part. "Straight" as he describes it. Could it be "Bite My Head Off"?

Mick also talks about doing a list with Ronnie what songs they might try first to play live (and see if people like them) "Anger" and was it "Whole Wide World" he mentions of those.

Of the guests, the inclusion of Macca, Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder and Elton John is confirmed there.

- Doxa

Yes the interviews starts with Mick mentioning "Bite My Head Off".

These collaborations bring back good memories of B2B when they had people dropping in the studio, something that ABB badly missed.

Ronnie has aged a lot hasn't he, doesn't talk like he used to, can't really place it, been through a lot of course.

Srange they talk about playing them live but don't ask WHEN that will happen, were they asked not to ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 21:08 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:11

Big Al
I’m probably totally off here, but the ‘hot girl’ video is probably to entice the Stones’, ageing, male demographic. Generation Z will not be amused. Good! grinning smiley

Boomer here but not amused about this too. Out of time.

Like the song.

(Always took candy from strangers)

Date: September 6, 2023 21:13

Video from Reuters includes pre/post event footage and red carpet arrival.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:23

Loved the video. The song is going to the top. They all looked great & happy. Now to hear some new songs live in America next year.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:24

STONES STILL ROCK smoking smiley

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:36

I like the new single a lot. I expect I’ll like it even more once I can listen to it loud on some good speakers. I enjoyed the billboards on the video. I had to google Ms Sweeney to find out who she is.

Mick often wears baseball caps. How is it he never seems to get hat hair? Every time I wear a hat, the indentation of the hat is always visible on my hair after.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:41

Niek
Big Al
I’m probably totally off here, but the ‘hot girl’ video is probably to entice the Stones’, ageing, male demographic. Generation Z will not be amused. Good! grinning smiley

Boomer here but not amused about this too. Out of time.

Like the song.

Big Al, Sydney Sweeney is very popular with Gen Z and millennials. The character she portraits in Euphoria, that popularized her with these age groups, is known for showing off her "assets".

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:45

Gazza
Enjoyed the press conference. They were all on good form and seemed happy to be there.

Yes, Fallon may not be anyone's first choice for this kind of thing, but it's clear he helped put the band at ease which led to a lot of good lines. I also can't see any other host getting Mick to start singing "Off The Hook"!

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:46

??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 21:48 by Juniorjackflash.

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:48

Gazza
Enjoyed the press conference. They were all on good form and seemed happy to be there

The single is excellent. The new stuff they put on '40 Licks' and 'Grrr' sounded like what they were. Songs from hastily arranged sessions to pad out a greatest hits record.

By contrast, this song is just perfect material as a lead single in the way that no other song (apart from 'Love is strong') has been since 1981. Not that I expect it to be a big hit or anything (theyre 80 years old after all), but still....

And I absolutely loved the video. Brilliantly conceived and executed. Really, really clever. Stones videos used to be a really big event in the 80s and 90s but its something they seemed to have given up on since 1997. Great to see.

Hard to comprehend that here we are in 2023 and a band who are in their SEVENTH decade of making new music are capable of staging an event thats so big that news channels will clear their schedules to cover it.

Great to hear your thoughts today Gazza. I remember catching the stones bug ‘late’ as a 14 year old at my first show on the licks tour in 2003, and my uncle got me onto IORR then. I always enjoyed your takes and input since back then. 15 live shows later, and in 2023 with a new album. We are the lucky ones. Keep on rolling indeed

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:13

Just got off a plane and missed it live, so I'm catching up. Just now watched the Fallon thing. How did they pick the audience? Sure didn't seem like a roomful of diehard fans. Fallon had to encourage the audience to applaud. Then the guys walk out and most of the audience just sits there and claps politely. I'd have been up on my feet when the guys walked out.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:17

howlingmad
Gazza
Enjoyed the press conference. They were all on good form and seemed happy to be there.

Yes, Fallon may not be anyone's first choice for this kind of thing, but it's clear he helped put the band at ease which led to a lot of good lines. I also can't see any other host getting Mick to start singing "Off The Hook"!

I'm not a monster Fallon fan in general but he was brilliant, totally agree.

Great press conference...great video...best single since Start Me Up.

They're back baby.

Date: September 6, 2023 22:18

The Rolling Stones confirm details of new album Hackney Diamonds

By Mark Savage and Steven McIntosh
BBC News

The Rolling Stones have unveiled their first album of original material since 2005, and the first since the death of drummer Charlie Watts.

Hackney Diamonds will feature 12 tracks and be released on 20 October, preceded by lead single Angry.

Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Sir Mick Jagger announced the album on Wednesday at an event in Hackney.

Richards said: "Ever since Charlie's gone, it's been different, he's number four. Of course he's missed."

But, he added, the new album will feature Steve Jordan in Watts' place, a drummer Richards said the band knew from "way back" and who filled Watts' seat on tour this summer.

"It would have been a lot harder without Charlie's blessing," Richards said, explaining that Watts had previously told the band Jordan should replace him if he ever was not around to record.

Watts died in 2021 aged 80, prior to the band's 60th anniversary tour, after suffering from throat cancer.

Sir Mick explained: "The album has 12 tracks. Most are with Steve, but two are tracks we recorded in 2019 with Charlie."

The album is preceded by a new lead single, titled Angry, which also received its premiere at the event in Hackney.

Euphoria actress Sydney Sweeney, who was sitting in the audience at the launch event where she was briefly interviewed by host Jimmy Fallon, features in the music video for the song.

In a five-star review, the Telegraph's Neil McCormick called the song "an absolute blast," describing it as the band's best single in 40 years.

Discussing the recording of the album, Wood told Fallon: "We did it pretty quickly actually.

"There were lots of ideas floating around, we gathered them together just before Christmas last year and made a go of it."

The record will feature Lady Gaga, and other rumoured guest stars include Sir Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder.

Asked about the gap since 2016's Blue & Lonesome, an album of blues covers, Sir Mick said: "We've been on the road most of the time, maybe we were a bit too lazy, but then we said, 'let's put a deadline'."

He said the band cut 23 tracks, which were mixed in February, before deciding on the final 12 to include on the album.

Sir Mick said the sound of the album was "angry", like the title of the lead single, but added there was an "eclectic" mixture of genres on the record, including love songs and ballads.

He continued: "I don't want to be big headed but we wouldn't have put this album out if we hadn't really liked it. We said we had to make a record we really love ourselves.

"We are quite pleased with it, we are not big headed about it, but we hope you all like it."

One fan told the BBC he had flown in from Poland just for the launch, which was also livestreamed on YouTube.

"They are the kings of rock and roll," he said. "We've been waiting 18 years to get some new Rolling Stones music and finally here it is. I think it's a really special day."

Another said: "It's fantastic that they're doing all this, I've been a fan of theirs for a very long time - I first saw them in the mid-1960s."

One attendee said he was a "hardcore fan" of the group. "It's so great they've come here today to Hackney," he said. "To me, they're original rockers, they've never changed, they're dynamite."

Speaking to BBC News after the press conference, Wood confirmed the band would likely take the new material on tour.

Asked about Watts, he added: "I was with Charlie before he passed, and he said 'make sure Steve Jordan covers for me until I'm repaired enough to come and join you'. So Steve has his blessing, and that's a really comforting thing."

The last track on the album is a cover of Muddy Waters' Rollin' Stone, but Richards said it should not be perceived as the band saying goodbye.

"That's not intended," he said, "it was actually Andrew Watt who came up with a 1920s guitar, and said 'maybe you guys could finally do a song that the name of the band came from".

"And Mick and I looked at each other and said 'yeah, OK'. So there it is, it's more a tip of the hat to Muddy Waters, Chicago and all the blues men we learned our stuff from."

The announcement of Hackney Diamonds follows a teaser campaign that began with an unassuming advert in the Hackney Gazette - a free newspaper distributed in corner shops and supermarkets that covers the London borough.

Ostensibly for a local glazing firm, the blurb contained several references to Rolling Stones songs, and a phone number where fans could register interest.

Over the weekend, the band also shared a preview of one of the songs, via a website called dontgetangrywithme.com.

However, it was another elaborate ruse: after a prolonged loading screen, the site only played a short snippet of music before appearing to crash.

The band responded to supposed difficulties on social media with the message, "Sorry, don't get angry with me" - a reference to the song's opening lyric.

But all was finally revealed in Hackney on Wednesday afternoon, with all three remaining Stones - Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood - in attendance.

"New album, new music, new era," a trailer for the livestream promised.

The album will be their first since 2016's Blue & Lonesome, which featured covers of the songs by Little Walter and Howlin' Wolf that first inspired them to form a band in the 1960s.

Before that, their last album of original material was 2005's A Bigger Bang, trumpeted as a return to basics, but which failed to reach the heights achieved by classics like Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street.

-----

Analysis By Mark Savage
Music Correspondent

The stage is littered with fallen chandeliers, the famous lips logo is slashed to pieces. The Stones might be entering their 80s, but they're not going quietly.

Sir Mick and Ronnie bound onto the stage, vamping for the crowd and stirring up a frenzy. Keith Richards hangs back in his shades and a trilby hat, forever cool.

They're in a playful mood, teasing Jimmy Fallon for his questions ("the first track is called Angry, what's the main emotion behind that?"), and singing an impromptu version of the 1965 track Off The Hook.

"Mick and Keith, you've been together longer than me an my wife. What's the secret?" asks a fan.

"Don't talk too much," Sir Mick fires back.

The trio are obviously energised by the new album, with Keith talking up the "damn funky riffs" and Sir Mick declaring: "We wouldn't have put this album out if we hadn't really liked it."

"I'll drink to that," replies Ronnie.

They also confirm some of the big rumours - Lady Gaga will appear on a song called Sweet Sound Of Heaven, and drummer Charlie Watts features on two of the 12 songs.

The scale of the press conference is reassuringly old school. There's an endless free bar, a rowdy phalanx of paparazzi, and broadcasters from all around the world - Australia, Brazil, China, Germany, the US - elbowing each other for prime position.

Outside, pressed against the barriers, fans have come from just as far afield - waving banners and clutching albums in the hope Sir Mick's brought a Sharpie.

As it ends, we hear one new song: The rowdy and rambunctious Angry, which finds Mick Jagger in the middle of a domestic fight, snarling like a Rottweiler, but hoping for reconciliation.

If the relationship has to end, he says, "Let's go out in a blaze."

For what could realistically be the Stones' final album, that's a solid manifesto.

[www.bbc.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:39

Only watched the video so far. Was shocked to see Bill represented several times. They must be on better terms professionally. Don't remember seeing Mick T, but then again I've only watched it once. Wouldn't call the song an A side, more of a B-Plus. Could change with repeated listenings, like in the old days. Think the absence of Stu and Brian meant they weren't going all the way back to the 60s. (Then again I'll have to watch again to see if they did.)

Great to have some old Stones excitement again. And of course they put a hot young woman in the video. Can you imagine the backlash if they'd put an 80-year-old grandma in it?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:44

Last time I took a look at this thread today it was nine - 9 - pages. Now a few hours later it has grown to seventeen - 17 - pages. Since then I have been floating around in Stonesland - a land where time does not matter - where all you think about is The Rolling Stones, their members, their crew and staff, their fans, friends, their music, and of course everything English that comes with it. Also lots of waiting!

I will write up a proper report soon, this is just a summary. I arrived into Hackney London yesterday, for a two days stay - just love to be on Stones home ground in and near London. Today was a blast, from start to finish. Just waking up knowing you are in Hackney, Stonesland, on the announcement day, and being around still in Hackney, is like living in Stonesland, in a year when most will not see The Rolling Stones together at all.

They looked great, they sounded great, and I am forever grateful for being able to see and experience this fantastic band, which I love so much. Hackney Diamonds - I love it - just can't wait to hear it all!

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 22:46 by bv.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:11

Good to hear from you about the scene, Bjornulf, will await the full report.

How fortunate, peoplewitheyes, to get in and get the stuff at the end.
Thanks for the post-event interviews, Doxa and byebyejohnny!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:16

The video reminds me of a mix of their pre-concert intro clips + Ride Em On Down.

It's fun, we can see the Stones in their prime, great song, sexy chick... what's not to like?!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:21

Plink

screenshot

I see the Rose Bowl, followed by the Forum, followed possibly by a small theater or club...cool smiley...wishful thinking maybe, but if do it's going to be a great summer in Southern California in 2024

Posted by: Gram ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:33

[instagram.com]

I don’t know if anyone knows how to take the video off this Instagram reel but Keith signing records from the back of his taxi on the way to the press conference is hilarious spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:34

Gram
[instagram.com]

I don’t know if anyone knows how to take the video off this Instagram reel but Keith signing records from the back of his taxi on the way to the press conference is hilarious spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I believe that was when he left, not when he arrived.

Ronnie also signed some stuff on his way out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 23:37 by Topi.

Posted by: Gram ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:35

‘Catch you up at the lights… shut them both up’ spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:43

peoplewitheyes
Drew - hopefully this link will work, it's probably about halfway through the show (I don't have time to check right now)

BBC R4 PM show

drewmaster
peoplewitheyes
By the way, once-time Stones biographer Philip Norman was just on BBC Radio 4's PM show casting a very disparaging view of the new single and band as a whole. What's his beef?

Interesting. His book about the Stones was so great.

Is this BBC segment archived somewhere? Would love to get a link if you have it.

Drew

At 25'27"
Pretty interesting stuff TBH
Dude's a bit stuck in the past though when he says they've never surpassed...Aftermath ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:53

I would not read to much into the "Angry" video. It is taking us through Hollywood LA CA USA, showing signs with graphical edits from the 70's and 80's, and of course they want to indicate sold out shows.

We will most probably see them perforing songs from their new album Hackney Diamonds live next year, but for now, and through 2023, it is all about the new album. A long wait, we need to play it a lot, and I justr can't wait until Oct 20.

Bjornulf

NEW TOUR
Posted by: waaghals ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:46

The billboards in the angry Rolling stones video are quite interesting: one of them advertises Hackney diamonds tour sold out...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 23:47 by waaghals.

Posted by: snibbs1234 ()
Date: September 7, 2023 00:14

so a some girls type tour next ? oldies followed by 7 or 8 Hackney numbers,followed by oldies ?

Date: September 7, 2023 00:44

Mick interview with Sky News:

Date: September 7, 2023 00:51

Sky News report, including a snippet with Ronnie.

Date: September 7, 2023 00:54

Red carpet arrival (AFP):

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 7, 2023 01:08

snibbs1234
so a some girls type tour next ? oldies followed by 7 or 8 Hackney numbers,followed by oldies ?

Hardly the same demographic!

You can just imagine the reaction of their 70-something average concert attendee when they trot out a mid-show 45 minute set of songs theyve never heard before from a record they probably didnt know existed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 17 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2010
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home