Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 16 of 21
Re: Rolling Stones LIVE in conversation with Jimmy Fallon, September 6
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:47

Date: September 6, 2023 18:50

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:57

drewmaster
Hairball
Not bad. Better than Don't Stop, but it's a bit reminiscent of Cyndy Lauper's Girls Just Want to Have Fun, or some other bouncy '80's pop hit...maybe something from Huey Lewis and the News.

+1

Yes, at first listen, "Angry" is a nice, bouncy, safe-as-milk pop song. Catchy and likeable, I suppose.

But I'm hoping other tracks on the album will have some TEETH, some BITE, some classic RS darkness and catharsis.

Drew

Beneath the riff and all I hear a lot of Motown influence on the track. That is never a bad thing!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:02

ohotos
When I watched the video I was thinking "Isn't that just the same video as the one with Kristen Stewart from a couple years ago?". So I just went and watched the Ride 'Em On Down video and I must say it would have been nicer to have the moving billboard elements in that video instead. I'm exited for new Stones music but the "hot woman video" thing is getting tired.

I like the tune. I was actually more impressed than I thought I would be listening to the whole thing. I do agree that the "hot woman video" thing is for me, been there, done that many times before. But as sex sells and the boys are all about "sex, drugs, and rock and roll", it still fits with their image.

I also agree with Ropeni's post above: "why all the old footage? That is not them now. I know they want to reach the young people but Imo is ridiculous....."

C'mon guys, you're older men who can still rock! Nothing to be ashamed of, if anything you are to be emulated! You can follow your own path instead of relying on borrowed cliches.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:12

keefmick
I quite enjoyed the event even though Fallon inserted himself in the mix too much in my view. I thought the boys were funny and charming and the interplay was good between Mick and Keith.

I do note that it is very interesting that there was no mention of playing live whatsoever, including no "see you soon" which is what we often get. And obviously Fallon was told not to ask about any live shows or you have to figure he would have.

Finally, also no hint of what "a new era" means, if it means anything other than a new album.

Time will reveal all.

It was a typical Stones event: They were there to promote the new album and introduce the new single - and nothing else, apart from a few on- and off-topic jokes...

The album is the album, and a tour is a tour - two different things, and the Stones, as the professionals they are, just stick to their own rule: "Don't give away too much too soon!" Nothing else.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:25

Pearl66
Ellipooh
roller99
Anyone notice the billboard with "Hackney Diamonds Tour" on it?
I missed that completely. Do you remember what point? I’ll watch more carefully next time

The billboard on 1:07 minutes!! Upcoming tour next summer?

screenshot

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:35

Plink
Pearl66
Ellipooh
roller99
I missed that completely. Do you remember what point? I’ll watch more carefully next time

screenshot

Stones are starting to place easter eggs!

Date: September 6, 2023 19:39

America next year according to Ronnie [youtu.be]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:39

BFR
Sydney Sweeney is a huge star! She is in two of HBO's most recent hit shows: Euphoria and The White Lotus. The Stones have featured the hottest new actors/actresses in their videos many times before and I think this is one of the best features they've had.

I LOVED the video and the song. Can't wait to hear more of the album. They've still got it cool smiley

Never heard of her ever.

Date: September 6, 2023 19:40

Date: September 6, 2023 19:44

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:48

That was such a fun afternoon! Hot as an oven, great to meet a bunch of Stones fans (thanks, Kish for the beer) and I got to fist-bump with Rockin' Ronnie Wood!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 19:50 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:52

I'm really with it all, finally my favorite band are releasing a new album. And like Mick said, they would only release it if they were happy with it. The could have tossed it aside again like they did earlier I think because Charlie mentioned they already finished an album a few years ago. The press conference, it seemed to me like Mick was trying to prove he could still move great at 80 and is still actually young and all, well, whatever. Jimmy is a bit annoying ofcourse but this helps to promote it so, great. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album and the collaborations with the famous guests. The music video for angry I don't really care about, I was really hoping for an actual music video with the Stones themselves like the music videos for A Bigger Bang, but I guess the Stones brand thinks the real Stones are too old to be cool or something? I mean they call it a "new era" but come up with a music video compilation of decades old footage. I even like Chris Jaggers video with Mick better than all these hot girl videos the Stones release. The song itself, well, it's standard Stones I think. I'll put it in my Spotify car playlist, enjoy it some more times.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:52

Plink
Pearl66
Ellipooh
roller99

screenshot

Hollywood Bowl July 4th.
Hotel booked. Lol.

Date: September 6, 2023 19:55

I didn't get in to the Empire for the interview, but, as folk were leaving, some kind lady gave me her wristband, and I went in, got a bag, T-shirt and some guy gave me a Stones cupcake!

A joyous afternoon in balmy Hackney, great atmosphere and wonderful people. Thank you Stones!

Date: September 6, 2023 19:57

By the way, once-time Stones biographer Philip Norman was just on BBC Radio 4's PM show casting a very disparaging view of the new single and band as a whole. What's his beef?

Date: September 6, 2023 20:01

Photo posting issue sorted. Nice pics, peoplewitheyes!

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 6, 2023 20:03

DiegoGlimmerStones

Penciled in. Sounds promising!

Date: September 6, 2023 20:08

Thanks, ByeByeJ! It was a splendid afternoon for sure!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 6, 2023 20:12

DiegoGlimmerStones

Interesting other stuff there also, thanks!

If I understood Mick right, Macca is on "punk song", and Mick was even surprised how well he plays the bass part. "Straight" as he describes it. Could it be "Bite My Head Off"?

Mick also talks about doing a list with Ronnie what songs they might try first to play live (and see if people like them) "Anger" and was it "Whole Wide World" he mentions of those.

Of the guests, the inclusion of Macca, Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder and Elton John is confirmed there.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 20:17 by Doxa.

Date: September 6, 2023 20:17

Mick and Ronnie talking to the press, post event. AP video via El Mundo:

Mick mentions Ronnie's habit of "talking to everyone about everything" a couple of times, and then one of the interviewers asks Ronnie about it. He laughs about not letting the cat out of the bag.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 20:41 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 6, 2023 20:18

peoplewitheyes
I didn't get in to the Empire for the interview, but, as folk were leaving, some kind lady gave me her wristband, and I went in, got a bag, T-shirt and some guy gave me a Stones cupcake!

A joyous afternoon in balmy Hackney, great atmosphere and wonderful people. Thank you Stones!

Hot girls and cupcakes - you gotta love the Stones PR covering every base!
Fun afternoon, they looked great, the track is fun and I'm just thankful they are still rolling this late in the game. Proud to be a fan. I love so many other artists and music but there is no-one to touch the Stones.
Thanks for all the great photos peeps who were there.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 6, 2023 20:18

peoplewitheyes
By the way, once-time Stones biographer Philip Norman was just on BBC Radio 4's PM show casting a very disparaging view of the new single and band as a whole. What's his beef?

Interesting. His book about the Stones was so great.

Is this BBC segment archived somewhere? Would love to get a link if you have it.

Drew

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: September 6, 2023 20:25

DiegoGlimmerStones

Can we start a Hackney Diamonds tour thread now please smileys with beer

Date: September 6, 2023 20:27

Drew - hopefully this link will work, it's probably about halfway through the show (I don't have time to check right now)

BBC R4 PM show

drewmaster
peoplewitheyes

Interesting. His book about the Stones was so great.

Is this BBC segment archived somewhere? Would love to get a link if you have it.

Drew

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2023 20:36

peoplewitheyes

He's an absolute dick. Updates his 'biography' every time they have a new release/tour with a brief chapter covering a decade that seems to have been put together so fast he probably wrote it while taking a dump

Enjoyed seeing your photos. Pleased for you!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 6, 2023 20:42

bye bye johnny
Mick and Ronnie talking to the press, post event. AP video via El Mundo:

Yeah, a good watch. I referenced it above.

- Doxa

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2023 20:44

Enjoyed the press conference. They were all on good form and seemed happy to be there

The single is excellent. The new stuff they put on '40 Licks' and 'Grrr' sounded like what they were. Songs from hastily arranged sessions to pad out a greatest hits record.

By contrast, this song is just perfect material as a lead single in the way that no other song (apart from 'Love is strong') has been since 1981. Not that I expect it to be a big hit or anything (theyre 80 years old after all), but still....

And I absolutely loved the video. Brilliantly conceived and executed. Really, really clever. Stones videos used to be a really big event in the 80s and 90s but its something they seemed to have given up on since 1997. Great to see.

Hard to comprehend that here we are in 2023 and a band who are in their SEVENTH decade of making new music are capable of staging an event thats so big that news channels will clear their schedules to cover it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 16 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2184
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home