Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP- Jimmy Buffett
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 2, 2023 11:32

Just seen reports. Died at 76yo

Reference:

Jimmy Buffett on Twitter

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

Rod

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-02 21:28 by bv.

Re: RIP- Jimmy Buffett
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 2, 2023 13:50

RIP

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: September 2, 2023 14:25

Gonna be a long sad Labor Day Weekend filled with lots of Buffet live shows at my house. Amazing story teller.....

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 2, 2023 15:03

OMG, very sad to hear this. "Margaritaville" is a total classic.

RIP, Jimmy.

Drew

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 2, 2023 15:05

So sad to hear this. He brought so much joy to many. RIP Jimmy

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 2, 2023 15:34

jeez that's awful. RIP Jimmy.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: September 2, 2023 16:49

RIP Jimmy...A great storyteller....

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: September 2, 2023 17:03

Son of a son of a sailor…

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 2, 2023 18:29

Condolences to all the Parrot Heads..

Not a big fan, but asked if he was in the house at a Margaritaville I was waisting away in just last week. RIP

My favorite of his.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 2, 2023 18:51

Very sad. Too many singers passing away RIP

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 2, 2023 19:50

Sad news. Jimmy was a true original and beloved by many. His music was much more than just the good time vibes he’s most famous for. He was a talented songwriter and performer. I was lucky enough to catch an unexpected performance by him several years ago when he came out and guested on a few songs with Jenny Lewis at The Ryman in Nashville.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 2, 2023 20:57

Very sad news...he was a great songwriter and storyteller.

I think about Paris when I'm high on red wine, I wish I could jump on a plane
So many nights I just dream of the ocean, God I wish I was sailin' again
Oh, yesterday's over my shoulder, so I can't look back for too long
There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...

RIP Jimmy Buffet

Date: September 2, 2023 21:35

RIP Jimmy. Thank you for the music and the good vibes that you have shared, it will continue with us forever

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 2, 2023 22:43

Always a fun show, saw him 4 times I think.

Reports are skin cancer detected 4 years ago that recently led to lymphoma.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 2, 2023 23:08

Very nice tribute posted by Macca.

"It seems that so many wonderful people are leaving this world, and now Jimmy Buffett is one of them. I’ve known Jimmy for some time and found him to be one of the kindest and most generous people.

I remember once on holiday when I had forgotten to bring my guitar and was itching to play. He said he would get me one of his, but I said, ‘I’m left-handed’. So, Jimmy had his roadie restring one of his guitars which he loaned me for the duration of the holiday. He then followed this act of generosity by giving me my own beautiful left-handed guitar that had been made by one of his guitar-making pals. It’s a beautiful instrument, and every time I play it now it’ll remind me of what a great man Jimmy was.

He had a most amazing lust for life and a beautiful sense of humour. When we swapped tales about the past his were so exotic and lush and involved sailing trips and surfing and so many exciting stories that it was hard for me to keep up with him.

Right up to the last minute his eyes still twinkled with a humour that said, ‘I love this world and I’m going to enjoy every minute of it’.

So many of us will miss Jimmy and his tremendous personality. His love for us all, and for mankind as a whole.

Last, but not least, is his songwriting and vocal ability. If someone made an interesting remark he repeated it in his gorgeous Louisiana drawl and said, ‘That’s a good idea for a song’. Most times it didn’t take too long for that song to appear. I was very happy to have played on one of his latest songs called ‘My Gummy Just Kicked In’. We had a real fun session and he played me some of his new songs. One, in particular, I loved was the song, ‘Bubbles Up’. And I told him that not only was the song great but the vocal was probably the best I’ve heard him sing ever. He turned a diving phrase that is used to train people underwater into a metaphor for life when you’re confused and don’t know where you are just follow the bubbles - they’ll take you up to the surface and straighten you out right away.

So long, Jim. You are a very special man and friend and it was a great privilege to get to know you and love you. Bubbles up, my friend.

Love, Paul"

[twitter.com]

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: September 3, 2023 00:36

I heard it was skin cancer.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 3, 2023 01:13

RIP Mister Buffett. Nice tribute from Macca. Not a great fan but you did some cool songs. This one seems right at this time.

A Pirate Looks at Forty

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 3, 2023 02:09

RIP. Talented man. Not a Parrothead, but he’s a legend. Listened to one of his books on tape and it was fantastic.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 3, 2023 02:25

Shocking and sad news…he gave us some excellent music throughout his career.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 3, 2023 06:49

kovach
Always a fun show, saw him 4 times I think.

Reports are skin cancer detected 4 years ago that recently led to lymphoma.

He put on a fantastic show. The definition of fun. And a few minutes of transporting you to the Caribbean etc.

When I saw how he looked a few months ago, how skinny he'd gotten, my first thought was cancer (similar to what happened to Charlie).

Having gone through it with my wife, it seemed obvious. Along with what was said about when Jimmy died.

Way too familiar.

What kind of cancer, no idea, of course.

But it ate away at him. He got incredibly skinny and a bit incoherent from what little I saw. Just a tad bit too off.

His new album (technically his 31st, as I can figure), EQUAL STRAIN ON ALL PARTS, comes out this fall.

He was 76. He and Willie Nelson had this idea - retirement?

I know x amount of people think whatever about Jimmy Buffett. I certainly understand. But.

The dude kept recording new music. Not every year but he kept releasing new records.

He won't see the release of his last LP.

Imagine The Rolling Stones release HACKNEYE DIAMONDS and then...

They're RIGHT THERE. The age aspect is very real.

Jimmy Buffett was 76 and in great shape.

Time waits for no one indeed. Sometimes time has other decisions.

Yet for The Rolling Stones... it keeps ticking.

JB wrote and recorded (and covered) a lot of great songs - not like The Beatles or The Rolling Stones great songs.

Different.

And not just musically. He had some interesting observations.

And... some beautiful songs.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: September 3, 2023 07:58

His transformation of Wrigley Field to Parrot Land was amazing. He also wrote one of the most direct and to the point “love” songs ever… “Why don’t we get drunk and screw”.

He was a guy who lived life to the fullest..

RIP JB

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 3, 2023 14:58

I'm more tan a casual fan, but certainly not a fanatic.

I have to say that attending his shows - with all the Parrothead looniness - was great fun!

He also wrote some wonderful serious songs - "He Went To Paris", for one. He will be greatly missed.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 3, 2023 23:00

I was lucky enough to see JB & the Coral Reefers live 11 times over the course of the last 30 years. Of course, I was very lubricated each time. But what I can recall were just fantastically fun times. He was certainly a crowd pleaser.

I don't listen to his music much anymore, but there are some great songs in his catalog including "Wonder Why We Ever Go Home" which I have put on a couple playlists this summer.

His version of "Banana Republics" is another favorite of mine.

RIP Jimmy

Date: September 4, 2023 03:23

Unreleased from his 1975 album KICK IT IN SECOND WIND

[youtu.be]

Date: September 4, 2023 03:25

Another song, unreleased, from his 1975 shelved album.

[youtu.be]

Date: September 4, 2023 04:06

MisterDDDD
Very nice tribute posted by Macca.

"It seems that so many wonderful people are leaving this world, and now Jimmy Buffett is one of them. I’ve known Jimmy for some time and found him to be one of the kindest and most generous people.

I remember once on holiday when I had forgotten to bring my guitar and was itching to play. He said he would get me one of his, but I said, ‘I’m left-handed’. So, Jimmy had his roadie restring one of his guitars which he loaned me for the duration of the holiday. He then followed this act of generosity by giving me my own beautiful left-handed guitar that had been made by one of his guitar-making pals. It’s a beautiful instrument, and every time I play it now it’ll remind me of what a great man Jimmy was.

He had a most amazing lust for life and a beautiful sense of humour. When we swapped tales about the past his were so exotic and lush and involved sailing trips and surfing and so many exciting stories that it was hard for me to keep up with him.

Right up to the last minute his eyes still twinkled with a humour that said, ‘I love this world and I’m going to enjoy every minute of it’.

So many of us will miss Jimmy and his tremendous personality. His love for us all, and for mankind as a whole.

Last, but not least, is his songwriting and vocal ability. If someone made an interesting remark he repeated it in his gorgeous Louisiana drawl and said, ‘That’s a good idea for a song’. Most times it didn’t take too long for that song to appear. I was very happy to have played on one of his latest songs called ‘My Gummy Just Kicked In’. We had a real fun session and he played me some of his new songs. One, in particular, I loved was the song, ‘Bubbles Up’. And I told him that not only was the song great but the vocal was probably the best I’ve heard him sing ever. He turned a diving phrase that is used to train people underwater into a metaphor for life when you’re confused and don’t know where you are just follow the bubbles - they’ll take you up to the surface and straighten you out right away.

So long, Jim. You are a very special man and friend and it was a great privilege to get to know you and love you. Bubbles up, my friend.

Love, Paul"

[twitter.com]

That's really something.

I saw that today and read it about 18 times.

It gives a hint to how sad McCartney is about "it all", and here's Jimmy, 76, dead. Just wrong. He should've lived another 20 years or so.

Nope.

Jimmy recorded VOLCANO at/in AIR Studios Montserrat. There's a great bit (story) behind it all. He mentioned when he got older writing about it. Well, he certainly accomplished getting older. No idea if he wrote about it. I hope he did. If he didn't, oh well.

Jimmy was so cool about whatever. What I mean is, he never made a big deal about anything.

When the Stones played in Cuba, he was there, backstage, hanging out! The night before he had played in Key West. But no one knew about that until after.

I know a lot of people look at Keith as being the definition of cool.

Actually, it was Jimmy Buffett. Jimmy lived it in amazing ways beyond being a musician.

How many rockstars know how to fly a plane? Yet alone a flying boat, a float plane, a jet, and a helicopter?

And... tour relentlessly and record new albums?

That essentially sums up his passions. Business wise... holy shit.

He was smart.

Date: September 17, 2023 05:24

Not a surprise, really, although I'm kind of surprised by no uptick in any of his (especially recent) other albums not being present (the box set re-entered at #53).

Jimmy's death has really struck a chord amongst a lot of people. At least in the United States.

[www.forbes.com]

Date: September 29, 2023 04:55

When The Rolling Stones played in Cuba, Jimmy Buffett played the night before in Key West. He flew to Cuba the next day and hung out with various whoevers and watched The Rolling Stones from stage side.

Can you imagine being of that generation and being able to hang out side stage of The Stones and witness that kind of history???

I find it highly unlikely that, at the very least, Keith, didn't know who Jimmy Buffett was. There's a reason he was given that stage access.

He was Jimmy Buffett - pirate of the Caribbean!

He loved The Rolling Stones.

Less than a month after his passing, Jimmy Buffett has made a triumphant return to the No. 1 spot on a Billboard songs chart. Impressively, his latest smash marks only his second-ever solo chart-topper, adding another remarkable chapter to his illustrious career, even if posthumously.

Buffett currently reigns over this week's Rock Digital Song Sales chart, which ranks the bestselling tunes in America that are categorized as rock. The late musician's just-released single "Bubbles Up" has taken the top position on the tally, with sales of just under 7,900 copies, according to data shared by Luminate.

"Bubbles Up" is Buffett's second No. 1 on the Rock Digital Song Sales chart. In a rare occurrence, the pop-rocker replaces himself atop the ranking. In the prior frame, his classic hit "Margaritaville" soared to the No. 1 spot on the same chart following his passing, marking its first time at the summit. That win also marked Buffett's first solo No. 1 on any Billboard songs chart. This week, "Margaritaville" dips to No. 3, making way for "Bubbles Up."

Buffett's influence extends further, as he claims a trio of new top 10 hits on the Rock Digital Song Sales chart this week. Shortly after his death, Buffett's estate released three new tunes, and fans enthusiastically purchased them, propelling these tracks to quick chart success. In addition to his latest No. 1 hit, the just-released "My Gummie Just Kicked In" debuts at No. 5 on the Rock Digital Song Sales chart with 2,550 copies sold. Just below that new entry, "Like My Dog" secures the No. 6 spot with 2,300 copies sold.

[www.forbes.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home