Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cotchford Farm Is An Airbnb
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 30, 2023 11:12

Mathijs
Kingbeebuzz
Cotchford Farm is important not only for the obvious reason, but in Stones history this is the place that Brian was sacked from the hugely successful band he had created.

Only the Beatles were bigger than the Stones in the sixties. So what happened in the house that night in 1969 when Mick & Charlie visited totally changed the course of the Stones as a band.

Please note :
I can't remember which Stones visited that night but I'm sure I read that Charlie went down.
I also think I read a long time ago that they all sat in the kitchen when Brian was sacked.

Any clarification on this (from His Majesty perhaps?) would be welcome.

Was Brian really sacked -the statements from all involved was that it was a mutual decision they would separate, and he would go his own way.

Mathijs

You are right there Mathijs. Brian Jones Estate (still exists) is still being paid. What I understand is that continues "as long as the Rolling Stones are an existing entity" (sounds a bit silly, but ...).
What exactly they are being paid for in an internal matter.
The "sacked" story is just media hype. In fact (could you believe it after all those years and drama's) "the door was even left open for Brian" after they "sacked" him.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: August 30, 2023 11:59

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

They certainly had the authority to say «we can't go on with you, if we can't tour» (because of his visa problems). I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly what they said.

This is one of the key issues that we know have been discussed with Brian -the Stones needed to tour the USA, but it was clear Brian would not get a visa. It was Ian Stewart who proposed to hire another guitarist for the tour. It is also known that Brian had told friends the months before his death that he wasn't interested in Stones music anymore, that he wanted to form his own band and make his own music.

Also, in most group or band basically there is no 'you are fired', unless the band is owned by a person (Axel Rose with the new GnR for example). It is 'we think it is better to continue without you', or 'we want to continue without you until you have your act together'.

To me, Brian wasn't sacked. They agreed to tour the USA without him and gave him the opportunity or 'idea' he could return if he wanted and had sobered up.

Then he died, and indeed it's the winner who writes history.

Mathijs

Tony Sanchez quoted Keith (for what it's worth) "Brian gets paid a 100.000 pound a year, just to sit in his chair". That could imply that Brian was not sacked and didn't officially quit, hence his inheritors possibly still get paid a decent amount of money.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 30, 2023 14:00

As far as I know the Brian Jones 'estate' (his parents, when they died his sister etc., and I also believe Brian's son Julian) still receive mechanic royalty payments from sales and broadcasts of the tracks he played on, just as (old) member of the Stones receive. Except for Mick Taylor who sold his rights to the Stones in the early 1980's.

Mathijs

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: September 5, 2023 19:24

swiss
HalfNanker
read the reviews...one woman says she got sick in the pool!!

Talk about morbid irony.

And the other review in which the guests go hunting and nearly catch a Woozle!

whats a woozle??

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 5, 2023 19:40

To me, from what I've read, he was let go. In my understanding, the others went to his place to tell him the news.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 5, 2023 21:43

A modern take on Brian's departure would be some form of 'quiet quitting'. Still, him leaving required a meeting to finalise that which was already in action.

I'm certain Brian's fate as a member was effectively done when Mick Taylor plugged in at Olympic Sound Studios at the end of May 1969 and him accepting the offer to join them within a week.

A fascinating 'What if' is Taylor rejecting their offer to join. That potentially gives us a band in limbo with a singer away in Australia July-October 1969.

Ps: none of Brian's children receive a Penny from Brian's estate.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-05 21:49 by His Majesty.

Date: September 5, 2023 21:59

Then who does ?

Date: September 5, 2023 22:03

His sister etc.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 5, 2023 22:27

His Majesty
A modern take on Brian's departure would be some form of 'quiet quitting'. Still, him leaving required a meeting to finalise that which was already in action.

I'm certain Brian's fate as a member was effectively done when Mick Taylor plugged in at Olympic Sound Studios at the end of May 1969 and him accepting the offer to join them within a week.

A fascinating 'What if' is Taylor rejecting their offer to join. That potentially gives us a band in limbo with a singer away in Australia July-October 1969.

Ps: none of Brian's children receive a Penny from Brian's estate.

It might have been documented somewhere, and I may have read someting about it in the past, but since you brought up the big 'What if'...

If Mick Taylor rejected their offer to join, did they have any other candidates in mind?
If so, did they have any meetings and/or auditions with any other guitar players? Maybe Eric Clapton? Jeff Beck?
Was it a similar situation to when Mick Taylor left, and practically every guitarist on earth was considered for the job?
I seem to recall reading from Ronnie that he himself might have been considered when Brian was out, but that might have been another mythical tall tale fantasy of his.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-05 22:32 by Hairball.

Date: September 5, 2023 22:45

I don't think they had anyone at hand to enable what happened to happen with the same speed and quality. A 'fill in' Clapton or whatever, is an odd scenario to rebuild a group from. Something that dilutes the perception of a band. The last thing they needed.

Quite a precarious time, on 6th July Mick was gone for months.

Course, there is only what happened.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: September 5, 2023 23:47

there is a Brian Jones page on FB that is fascinating. The conspiracy theories abound there. I do believe there is more to his death than "misadventure" but i dont go as far as thin king Mick, Keith and/or Allan Klein conspired to have him killed.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: September 5, 2023 23:52

Brian’s estate is still active, under the guidance of Clive Berger from 1969 - 2005. From that year on the estate is handled by an Oxford accountant. The estate’s only income are air play royalties which amounts in an average year to around 15.000 pounds (Abkco royalties exempt). No Mathijs, Julian receives nothing. And you are also wrong about Brian’s remaining belongings.

Date: September 6, 2023 00:06

-------

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 6, 2023 01:27

his sister ? ;-)

I remember reading that Denny Laine lived (owned ?) there in 1981 when Wings disbanded. He was living quite the life too since he sailed in to an interview on the Thames on a his "yacht" ! A few years later he was living in a caravan in Windsor (or thereabouts) and spilled the dirt on Macca on The Sun to stay afloat...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home