Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP Bernie Marsden - Whitesnake guitarist
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 25, 2023 20:13

Bernie Marsden

Whitesnake guitarist Bernie Marsden dies aged 72 (The Guardian)

Rock and blues guitarist amassed one of the most extensive and coveted private guitar collections in the world

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-26 12:01 by bv.

Re: RIP Bernie Marsden
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 25, 2023 21:05

Rest In Peace Bernie, very under rated British blues rock guitarist and probably not that well known in North America. Was one of Whitesnake's original guitarists and co-wrote their hits Here I Go Again and Fool For Your Loving, which David Coverdale re-released in the 80s with Whitesnake.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: August 25, 2023 22:12

RIP. A great guitarrist and composer. I think he was solding his amazing guitars collection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-26 00:02 by Ricky.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 25, 2023 22:38

Man, they are all just passing on this year!!! Absolutely LOVE the Marsden-era Whitesnake stuff!!!! RIP to a great guitarist.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 26, 2023 00:21

Noooooooo! This is so absolutely sad.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: August 26, 2023 01:04

Bernie was such a nice guy. I was lucky enough to play with him and he was incredible generous and complimentary. He made you feel good in you playing and was quite passe of his own abilities. His behaviour and playing was a big push for me as a musician and I am very sorry to here he has passed. Also who else calmly lets you play there '59 Les Paul!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 26, 2023 01:36

RIP

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 26, 2023 02:00

mr_c_ox
Bernie was such a nice guy. I was lucky enough to play with him and he was incredible generous and complimentary. He made you feel good in you playing and was quite passe of his own abilities. His behaviour and playing was a big push for me as a musician and I am very sorry to here he has passed. Also who else calmly lets you play there '59 Les Paul!

Thats so amazing. IMO Bernie (and Micky Moody) was one of the most underrated guitar player/composers ever. He was a great riff machine but also a fantastic cowriter with David. And they were as good a two guitar team as anyone. People mistakenly (but understandably) think of Whitesnake as David's thing, but for like 6 incredible albums they were one of the best blues rock BANDS out there. Similar IMO to how people think of Alice Cooper instead of the Alice Cooper GROUP.

I also always thought it was great that he never "looked" like your typical rock star. Just a regular guy with a talent that liked to play. Every interview I've seen from him he just seemed so nice and humble. This death will hit me harder than most bigger ones, particularly cause I never feel like he or the original Whitesnake band ever truly got their due.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: August 26, 2023 03:26

Really a deep sad new, he was a gentleman, an exquisite guitar player and songwriter, nothing would have been the same with the five or six first albums of whitesnake whitout him.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 26, 2023 11:08

Very sad news!

I love his guitar playing!
RIO Bernie!

Re: RIP Bernie Marsden - Whitesnake guitarist
Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: August 26, 2023 14:48

I had the pleasure of meeting Bernie at the Concert for George in 2002. He took the time to have a chat with me and my friend for about 5 minutes after the show. He seemed both impressed and grateful that I had seen him in Whitesnake 20 years earlier.

I think he told us that he had played with Ringo Starr in the past and when the audience threw jelly babies on stage during Ringo's set he caught Bernie's eye and rolled his eyes.

A very warm and unassuming man and it was a pleasure to meet him.

RIP Bernie.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: August 26, 2023 21:43

I‘m glad and proud I saw him play with Moody and Murray in a club in my hometown in Bavaria. What a great player.
Gotta keep my CC8 for a while - and practice.
In all the interviews I saw he seemed to be a very friendly and quite humble gentleman. What a loss.
Condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace, Mr Marsden.

Cheers, Fillmore

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 29, 2023 10:31

Met him at a guitar show once.

Genuinely lovely bloke. He'll be sadly missed.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: August 29, 2023 12:40

For me,
with Micky Moody, Ian Paice, Jon Lord and Neil Murray, the best Whitesnake ever and one of the best bands ever:

Trouble
Love Hunter
Ready and Willing
Live...in the Heart of the City
Come and Get It

RIP

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 29, 2023 15:33

Hell of a blues player too.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 29, 2023 21:51

[www.atbguitars.com]

Own a piece of the legend! Rock star prices I’m afraid. RIP Bernie. His autobiography is worth a read.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 30, 2023 23:34

marquess
For me,
with Micky Moody, Ian Paice, Jon Lord and Neil Murray, the best Whitesnake ever and one of the best bands ever:

Trouble
Love Hunter
Ready and Willing
Come and Get It

RIP

That's actually my favorite of the 70's 'Snake albums.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 31, 2023 01:20

marquess
For me,

Trouble
Love Hunter
Ready and Willing
Come and Get It

RIP

Unfortunately, many in North America will be unfamiliar with these albums. Most will think of Slide It In, Whitesnake, Slip of the Tongue...
I first saw Whitesnake in 84 when they opened for Quiet Riot in Vancouver. By then Bernie was gone and they had John Sykes on guitar and Cozy Powell on drums. I don't recall of Jon Lord was still on keyboards, saw him the following year with the reunited Deep Purple on the Perfect Strangers tour.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 31, 2023 07:28

marquess
For me,

Trouble
Love Hunter
Ready and Willing
Come and Get It

RIP

Agreee 100%!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home