Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which were "Your" Tours?
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 24, 2023 19:03

Everybody has those 1 or 2 Tours which was his tours by many reasons.
The time they happened in his life. The way they played in this time.

Which where "Your Tours"?

So for me definetely the '82 Tour. Europe.
21 years old. First time seeing them life. School finished. Moving out at home.
First job. The whole World wide open. And then they came.
Diving through the lovely "Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes" thread here is like a time tunnel back to it.
The next tours were great, I enjoyed them extensively, but nothing was like '82.

Until the 2003 Tour came. 42 years old. Midlifecrisis. Missing my youth. Searching the carefree boy in me. And then they came. It became my most attended tour.
With the biggest, greatest things happening. Including working as a stage hand in Barcelona. This tour turned me back to a 21 year old guy. Like it did with the the 60+ year old Stones. Great sound, great energy, great concept: Stadiums, Arenas, Clubs. My Highlights: Munich Circus Krone. Paris Olympia. Fantastic.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-24 20:09 by caschimann.

Re: Which were "Your" Tours?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 24, 2023 20:38

ABB Tour. Was my third time seeing them and I got them in my hometown as the Euro tour closer. They went back to America, did the SAL shows and came back to Europe the following year, where I caught them an additional 3 times. Among those was the last London show, which meant that I was present at the last show on their last world tour. I brag about it too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 24, 2023 21:59

Best Tour for me: Urban jungle, seeing them first time as a 16-year old boy. Probably best tour post '82: Voodoo Lounge. Last great tour with most variations in setlist: Licks.
Personal highlight: Circus Krone Last great concert: Berlin 2022

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-24 22:04 by deardoctor.

Date: August 24, 2023 22:05

ABB with that great stage and some great shows (paris 06, slane 07) And the 60 tour with so much fun where my last three shows (brussels, paris and berlin) just got better and better.

Too young for pre licks.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 24, 2023 22:06

The Licks Tour. Aged 19, in 2002, I travelled alone from the U.K. to NYC. I had never been on a plane, yet alone, travelled alone before. I was expertly looked-after by friends from the Rocks Off community. I’ll never forget those few days, and the wonderful show I caught at Giants Stadium.

The following year, still aged 19, I caught them in Munich, Germany. However, the highlight that year, was seeing them with my father at Twickenham. A fan since 1963 - he’d bought ‘Come On’ upon its release -, to finally sit side-by-side with him, witnessing the Stones, was priceless. It was his first show.

The A Bigger Bang tour was enjoyable, but, in my opinion, the 2002-‘03 shows will forever trump everything that came subsequently. My dad passed-away in 2011, and, admittedly, Hyde Park with my brother last year was especially special, but the Licks tour cannot be topped for me, personally.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 24, 2023 22:10

Hmm..Bridges was my first show, that's always the most special. I only saw one show, though.

14 On Fire was great, saw 4 shows and got autographs from Charlie, Ronnie and Mick.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 24, 2023 22:16

I'd say 1981 which were my first two Stones shows at the L.A. Coliseum when I was 18 which left an everlasting indelible mark on me.
Followed by the Licks Tour of 2002/2003 when I saw multiple shows in clubs, theaters, arenas, and stadiums from Los Angeles, CA to Stockhom, Sweden, and many great destinations in between.
As a bonus, I'd have to say the 50 and Counting Tour ranks up there also mainly due to the inclusion of Mick Taylor. The May 20, 2013 show at Staples Center, LA was supreme on so many levels.
Have seen every tour since 1981, sometimes a couple of shows, and sometimes several or more shows, but all were fun for one reason or another. And can't forget to mention the two Desert Trip shows in 2016....

-------------

*Edit/clarification: Have attended every tour since 1981 that has come though the US, except No Security. Did not attend the recent Sixty tour, the Olé tour,the 14 on Fire tour, or the Urban Jungle tour.
After the Licks tour, saw quite a few ABB shows in the US in 2005/2006, and also made it back make it to Europe for one show in Nijmegen in 2007. Last shows were the two at SoFi stadium in L.A. in 2021...
Looking back through it all, the journey started with two shows in L.A. in October, 1981, and possibly ended with two shows in L.A. in October, 2021...40 years apart, and almost the exact same dates of October.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-25 04:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: August 24, 2023 22:17

14 on fire (Asia) tour in 2014. I followed them alone all around Asia and it was such an amazing journey. I remember staying in a dive of a hotel in Macao but it added to the magic of seeing the Stones in a place that they had never played before. Magic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-24 22:17 by petewasbristol.

Date: August 24, 2023 23:01

All of them since 1978.

I only missed a few shows.

There was nothing like the Fox Theatre 1981 show. I was in the front row.

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: August 24, 2023 23:12

Unfortunately late to the party being 27, so Zip Code and No Filter across the US and Europe.

Small story: After the Twickenham show in 2018, I spoke to an older gentleman in the stadium concourse, asking him when his first show was, he simply answered "1963". Hearing his story of seeing The Stones with Brian in the early days and imaging his experiences left me smiling during my flight back across the Atlantic.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: August 25, 2023 01:00

Voodoo Lounge and Licks( 2002)...great shows and memories.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: August 25, 2023 10:06

Ram
Unfortunately late to the party being 27, so Zip Code and No Filter across the US and Europe.

Small story: After the Twickenham show in 2018, I spoke to an older gentleman in the stadium concourse, asking him when his first show was, he simply answered "1963". Hearing his story of seeing The Stones with Brian in the early days and imaging his experiences left me smiling during my flight back across the Atlantic.

Being late to the party is nothing to worry about. You have seen the Stones and like my little lad, for the Stones 100-150th year anniversary (yes there will be people alive now who will potentially be there at the 150th anniversary!) it is going to need people to tell the long and wonderful tale of the Stones. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-25 10:07 by petewasbristol.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 25, 2023 10:38

This one really got me thinking...with no real conclusion.

The first ['73 for me] will always be special...but they've all had something to make them stand out .

VL for example being an awesome spectacle to behold .

I'll never forget feeling the heat from that fire breathing cobra.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 25, 2023 12:14

A very special tour for me was the European leg in 1999: It was my most intensive state as a Stones fan. I attended the concerts in Stuttgart, in the heat, and Cologne, in the driving rain - the "No Security"-Intro hypnotized me, and the Stones were on fire during both nights. Ronnie Wood was rather drunk, but totally rock'n'roll.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 25, 2023 12:31

Or her. cool smiley

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 25, 2023 13:39

To me it was the

1982 Still Life European Tour.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: August 25, 2023 13:45

Düsseldorf 2014

Most intense concert experience ever.

STREET FIGHTING MAN - the Stones at their purest!

Priest

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: August 25, 2023 15:32

Urban Jungle Tour 1990....

Sat 7 July I saw Macca live, Sun 8 July I turned 21....Mon 9 July 1990...

Ladies & Gentlemen.................................

I'd waited years to see them live

Anticipation was through the roof after seeing clips of Steel Wheels tour

Excitement got even greater once we bought the tickets

The weeks couldn't pass quickly enough

The day came, got their early, and ran down to the front - remember those days.....

Then "Continental Drift" starts....you could feel the electricity in the air.....

Flash, bang....Keef out front "Start Me Up".....rest is history.....

A magical moment in my life never to be forgotten !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 25, 2023 15:36

1973 - Wembley Empire Pool

1976 - Earl Court 5 nights
1976 - Knebworth

Those are the two I have fondest memories of.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 25, 2023 15:39

I have only seen them 4 times, many years ago:

• Nov 7, 1969: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
• Jun 16, 1972: Denver, Colorado, USA
• Jul 6, 1975: Dallas, Texas, USA
• Sep 26, 1981: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

That's 2 times with Mick Taylor, 3 times with
Ian Stewart, and 4 times with Bill Wyman.

I no longer have any desire to see them live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-25 15:48 by Chacho.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 25, 2023 15:40

'81, my first show, quite the experience for a teenager at 17 year old!

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: August 25, 2023 17:20

My first show (Earls Court 1976) was also my worst - sound was so bad. Luckily Knebworth made up for it

I didn't much care for Micks neurotic athleticism in '89 and '91 - left him too out of breath to sing properly

So I'll go for 2003. On the way home from Twickenham (nosebleeds) we called into my office and booked two fabulous seats right down the front at Wembley Arena. Being so close to the band as they played Start Me Up was later cited by my wife as one of the two best moments of her life. And Ronnie made a great job of Can't You Hear Me Knocking, which I had never seen played live

Second place would be the 02 gigs in 2012 where we ended up in the Friends and Family section and witnessed the return of Mick Taylor

Date: August 25, 2023 17:39

I take my hat off to the fans who saw The Rolling Stones on the Steel Wheels Tour, in particular the date of 26 November 1989; Memorial Stadium; Clemson, South Carolina.

Before Keith Richards performs 'Can't Be Seen' (see Flashpoint album song sequence), he tells the audience to 'cut out the crap'.

That particular bit from Richards is worth the price of a ticket to a Stones concert.

At the 2:42 mark below.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: August 25, 2023 20:59

'69, '72 and winter tour '73 just for the great guitar sound, all over soulful playing , the energy and great set list. The Stones ruled the music scene.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: August 25, 2023 21:02

Chacho
I have only seen them 4 times, many years ago:

• Nov 7, 1969: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
• Jun 16, 1972: Denver, Colorado, USA
• Jul 6, 1975: Dallas, Texas, USA
• Sep 26, 1981: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

That's 2 times with Mick Taylor, 3 times with
Ian Stewart, and 4 times with Bill Wyman.

I no longer have any desire to see them live.
You lucky guy!

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: August 25, 2023 22:16

1975 Milwaukee because it was my first and they were juiced up and sloppy and FUNKY!

2002 Detroit because it was front row with my son.

2015 Milwaukee because it was Moonlight Mile!

2019 Chicago because it was the last with Charlie!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 25, 2023 22:18

VL, for me, and then later, Las Vegas and NJ in the *Tongue Pit*...Was that the 50 and Counting tour?

BigAl, how great that your dad finally saw them, and next to you, on top of that!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2023 06:19

'78 - Cleveland. First time seeing them live. Still a bit of danger.

'89 - Los Angeles. The Royal Tour. Thought it was the end. It was in a way.

'99 - Anaheim. Blistering hot from touring for two years.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 26, 2023 09:50

1975- the first time I saw them and Ronnie’s first tour.it was just mind blowing.

In this day and age it’s hard to understand, you just didn’t see people who looked like that back then.
Decades later we’ve seen those images recreated a million times, Motley Crue, Guns and Roses and thousands of versions of rock and roll bands that were influenced by The Rolling Stones.
But to see Keith in those leathers with his scarf around his head and Mick with those crazy pajama clothes and all that make-up.
For a young kid it was just jaw dropping.
And it wasn’t just image -

They sounded SO Mthrfckng GOOD- it just makes me sad that people hear those crappy bootlegs and grainy videos and think that’s what it was.
When you hear Micks vocals from then it’s what in legal terms would be called “taken out of context “-
You had to actually see it, “if youcant rock ma” hand goes to the hip, head turns, hair flies- somebudda will”runs across the stage - “alright now”- and he just did not stop moving even for a second.

It was something beyond swagger, like some kind of anabolic swagger.
Fans still look for some American Idol note perfect vocals in the audio without realizing they’re hearing the tip of the iceberg of a master class in performance art.
So yeah, 75 for me.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 26, 2023 09:59

Mine were 2003 Licks and 2006-2007 ABB European stints with the highlights being 1st row in the King's box at Cirkus Stockholm were I just had one step from stage and ended up smoking Ronnie's KOOL fag which he gave to me from stage,being backstage at Nya Ullevi in Gothenburg 4 years further on and finally reaching my goal of meeting Keith in the D'Angleterre in Copenhagen a couple of days later. I saw 9 shows that summer and the premiere in Werchter was proper Rock n Roll danger!

Happy days!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-26 10:01 by MadMax.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2122
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home