Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: 1960s San Francisco Music Scene Documentary
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 17, 2023 17:19

Came across this. It looks like it will be a good watch. It will probably bring back memories for some of us. There's also a great collection of SF music from back in the day called "Love Is the Song We Sing: San Francisco Nuggets 1965-1970." The photo book that accompanies the collection is a great read and look at the people from then. I discovered a link to a story about the person who put the collection together. So, hook up the hookah and let your thoughts roam back to those youthful days.

[www.theguardian.com]

[www.sfgate.com]

Re: OT: 1960s San Francisco Music Scene Documentary
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 17, 2023 17:36

I remember when this 1971 film The Last Days of the Fillmore came out but I didn't see it until recently.

[www.youtube.com]

Bill Graham is the focus here and you get a sense of how big and sprawling the whole SF scene really was. There was a whole lot of history lived in a few short years.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 18, 2023 21:42

I recently had that boxset from my library. There were a few gems in there, The Charlatans, a Moby Grape cut, and some others. Most of it was kind of silly. There are also the well known tracks mixed in by Jefferson Airplane, Santana. I found the names hilarious, The Chocolate Watchband. You can hear a lot of competition to the be the grooviest, the most psychedelic.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 20, 2023 12:30

loog droog
I remember when this 1971 film The Last Days of the Fillmore came out but I didn't see it until recently.

[www.youtube.com]

Bill Graham is the focus here and you get a sense of how big and sprawling the whole SF scene really was. There was a whole lot of history lived in a few short years.

Thanks...
Bill Graham making his peace with bootlegs..
[youtu.be]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 21, 2023 17:48

Came across another commentary regarding the SF music scene show. I think back on the various documentaries done about SF in the 1960s that are out there (PBS even broadcast one on the hippies) and how they made me think that SF in the early/mid 1960s - prior to the Summer Of Love - was a place I really would have loved to have been. If you were there you may tell me it wasn't that great. The article notes the book “The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test” which I read back in its day. Worth checking it out. Wolfe was always a keen observer of cultural scenes. Also recommend checking out his "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby" which takes into account the hot rod era and other American tribal things back in the 1960s. Can't disagree with the writer of this article - Janis will always be known for Bobby McGee. What a shame. Myself, I can no longer listen to her doing this song. There's so much better stuff by her out there.

[lefsetz.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2114
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home