Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" 40th Anniversary Event
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 16, 2023 21:41

September, 11th 2023

The greatest concert film of all time, Stop Making Sense brings to the screen Talking Heads at Hollywood's Pantages Theater in December 1983: David Byrne, Tina Weymouth, Chris Frantz, and Jerry Harrison, alongside an ecstatic ensemble of supporting musicians. Renowned filmmaker Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs) captures the band at their exhilarating best, in this new and complete restoration for the film's 40th anniversary. The special IMAX Live 40th Anniversary Event will include a screening of the film followed by a live stream Q&A reuniting the four original band members.

[stopmakingsense.imax.com]
--

Re: OT: Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" 40th Anniversary Event
Posted by: HollywoodStone ()
Date: August 16, 2023 22:52

Yes! The only Q&A I want is when and where is their next concert after all these years?

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: August 16, 2023 22:52

My 2nd favourite band.

Wished this was coming to the UK.

Date: August 16, 2023 23:11

It's just a movie preview.

No shows planned.

Doubtful if there will ever be another performance together.

The fact that Byrne is now agreeing to appear in public with his ex-bandmates will surely generate rumors of a reunion tour, and it’s easy to imagine Live Nation making them a huge money offer. They are one of the few dormant mega-bands where every member is alive and well. But the odds of it happening are still very, very low. Byrne simply has no desire to make it happen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2023 23:31

40th anniversary...amazing...

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 16, 2023 23:41

HollywoodStone
Yes! The only Q&A I want is when and where is their next concert after all these years?

That is all that matters, the $$ that they have left on the floor is insane. They could Arena tour the Planet and Headline a big Festival

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: August 17, 2023 01:02

SKILLS
HollywoodStone

That is all that matters, the $$ that they have left on the floor is insane. They could Arena tour the Planet and Headline a big Festival

Unfortunately David doesnt seem to care about the money.
He keeps himself pretty busy and seems to be doing well financially.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 17, 2023 02:23

spikenyc
SKILLS
HollywoodStone

He can donate all the profit to "Off Broadway" the Fans deserve better than the way it ended. The went out on top of their genre for sure, like The Police, but even Sting realized that it was important to keep the music alive

Date: August 17, 2023 02:25

spikenyc
SKILLS
HollywoodStone

David might not need or care about the money, and yes he always keeps himself busy, but.........

Consider the fact that he took the time to make a new promo video for the 40th anniversary, featuring a trip to the dry cleaners to pick up his suit.
Then he rides a bike through the streets while carefully carrying his sacred suit, and then poses in front of a mirror wearing the classic suit.
And you may ask yourself...is it possible this could all lead to something more such as a reunion tour? Maybe even a new album?
Or maybe a new album and new reunion tour? And you may ask yourself, "Am I right? Am I wrong?" Never say never...winking smiley

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 17, 2023 03:32

SKILLS
spikenyc
SKILLS
HollywoodStone

He can donate all the profit to "Off Broadway" the Fans deserve better than the way it ended. The went out on top of their genre for sure, like The Police, but even Sting realized that it was important to keep the music alive

It seems to me that we don't "deserve" anything. As fans we can appreciate and even love the work, but at the end of the day it is the artist's work and the artist's muse. When the creative muse is gone or has changed for any number of reasons, the work is done. Sometimes they may revisit it in some way (a reunion tour, a 40th anniversary film, etc) because the muse has returned or maybe only because of a financial incentive, but it is their decision as the artist. We can agree or disagree with the decision an artist makes, but it is not ours to deserve. Whether it's the Stones, the Talking Heads or anyone else. Just my take.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 17, 2023 05:43

Hairball
And you may ask yourself...is it possible this could all lead to something more such as a reunion tour? Maybe even a new album?
Or maybe a new album and new reunion tour? And you may ask yourself, "Am I right? Am I wrong?"

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, Hairball reels me back in by being funny and witty and making me think all the times any of us react to what seems to be mania on his part is truly just another joke. Regardless, cheers to you and I hope you're correct about a reunion -- even just one show.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 17, 2023 06:46

While I'm truly shocked they're even sitting together for a panel, there's absolutely no way this leads to a reunion tour. For many reasons.

1. A "reunion tour" in the words of Talking Heads is contradictory. They would never go through the motions of just taking the money and playing the hits. I'm not saying I don't want them to, but I'm saying thats literally the antithesis of the band. So the tour people, myself included, want doesn't exist. If we in some fantasy world got a new Talking Heads tour, it would involve careful planning and I have to imagine a new album. Not just a rehash of Stop Making Sense. I honestly don't think people would like it even if it was great because most of the general public wants hits, so the band doesn't quite have much to gain at this age.

2. If they were even to play one show, there is no way David is doing that without a vision and a theme, all of which would take time, rehearsal and serious creative energy which I can't see them doing for just a show or run of shows. Thats a tour and one on many occasions he's said he'd much rather do on his own.

If nothing else, I'm happy if they can all just appreciate what they've done and be happy with each other. In the past, even asking that has been too much. I'm thrilled they are going to celebrate this and sit in the same room together. That, to me, is a perfect way to close out their career if they so choose.

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: August 17, 2023 14:38

Don’t think they owe us anything tbh.

In some ways it’s kinda good they bowed out at the top.

Saying that I would absolutely love to see them again, but can never see that happening.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: August 17, 2023 17:26

Tumlin73
My 2nd favourite band.

Wished this was coming to the UK.

Mine too smiling smiley
I think they won’t tour anymore

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 17, 2023 19:43

I love this tour title!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 17, 2023 20:26

Loved (still love) the album! .. but never watched the film

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: August 17, 2023 21:48

I love Talking Heads but I'm not sure they went out on top, remember they had 2 or 3 albums after Stop Making Sense.

Little Creatures was great and I wish they toured it but True Stories and Naked are definitely not up their with their best work.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: August 17, 2023 21:48

David Byrne says he regrets Talking Heads' "ugly" breakup: "I was more of a little tyrant"

[www.brooklynvegan.com]

Date: August 17, 2023 22:03

spikenyc
David Byrne says he regrets Talking Heads' "ugly" breakup: "I was more of a little tyrant"

[www.brooklynvegan.com]

"Suddenly, an actual Talking Heads reunion doesn’t totally seem outside the realm of possibility. Let the comeback tour rumors commence"!

Never say never. thumbs up

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 17, 2023 22:50

let's hope!

OT: Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" 40th Anniversary
Date: August 17, 2023 22:54

We’re bringing Jonathan Demme’s seminal Talking Heads doc STOP MAKING SENSE back to theaters for its 40th anniversary, newly restored in pristine 4K. Experience/re-experience the greatest concert film of all time in IMAX September 22 and theaters everywhere September 29! #StopMakingSense

[a24films.com]

Date: August 17, 2023 23:05

Talking Heads, that is Adrian Belew to me. He is ACE.

OT: Talking Heads
Date: August 17, 2023 23:20

Speaking of Adrian Belew and Talking Heads...

Remain In Light at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2022

[hardlystrictlybluegrass.vhx.tv]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-17 23:48 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 17, 2023 23:58

Am I the only one who thinks they epitomize the "80s band whose music aged badly" tag.
I liked them back then but 40 years later their music and visual style - not to talk about Byrne’s wardrobe - is urrgghh...

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: August 18, 2023 00:46

That Belew/Harrison Remain in Light tour is fantastic. Killer backing band, Belew rips it up, and Harrison is in the groove. Great stuff.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 18, 2023 01:21

mosthigh
That Belew/Harrison Remain in Light tour is fantastic. Killer backing band, Belew rips it up, and Harrison is in the groove. Great stuff.

No your not dcba, I remember some of their tunes it was funny back then nothing more

Re: OT: Talking Heads
Date: August 18, 2023 12:13

bye bye johnny
Speaking of Adrian Belew and Talking Heads...

Remain In Light at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2022

[hardlystrictlybluegrass.vhx.tv]

I was referring to the eighties when he guested with the Talking Heads.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 18, 2023 18:06

LeonidP
Loved (still love) the album! .. but never watched the film
Its the greatest concert film of all time, along with the Last Waltz. If you like the album, you'll be amazed what you've missed not seeing the video. Its a true visual experience as much as an audio only one.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 18, 2023 21:37

I'm trying to imagine a Greatest Hits tour and it's not cutting. Byrne, being the 'artist' he is, would probably rearrange things ala Dylan and piss everybody off. I can't see him going out night after night 'Burnin' Down The House'. It was difficult enough for the Stones to get back on stage after 5 or 6 years.

David, and the rest of the group, might be turned on by making new music. But the fans probably wouldn't pay to see it.

OT: Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense"
Date: August 19, 2023 01:04

Stop Making Sense (Deluxe Edition), released August 18

[open.spotify.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home