Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What are your thoughts on the Stones doing a true "Unplugged" show?
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 13, 2023 09:09

django
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards on the Paradiso ‘stripped’ shows (1995):
Mick: “All sitting on stools in a line – that wasn’t really the Rolling Stones. Also, I thought MTV Unplugged was really boring television… The results of the filmed Tokyo sessions were terrible. It was the dullest TV I’d ever seen – and boring without an audience. So we finally decided, Let’s do a club show. And we lighted on the Paradiso. It’s an interesting old place. We’d never actually played there. But I went there to score drugs once (laughs)….

…We had to do this nod to the acoustic business, to see if it works. In rehearsal, Beast of Burden was really good. But last night, with the audience, it was a bust because I couldn’t hear anything. I wasn’t singing on my own out there. I had 100 backing vocalists going, Never, never, never in funny Dutch English. I felt that we would take the best elements from Unplugged, the intimate thing of it, without actually doing it completely unplugged.”

Keith: “When this whole thing came up, I said, Guys, forget about the acoustic guitars. It’s about ATTITUDE. Scale it down, take it back to where the song was when you were cutting it.”
rollingstonesdata.com

Hmmm ... not much enthusiasm there !?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: August 13, 2023 12:17

django

Keith: “When this whole thing came up, I said, Guys, forget about the acoustic guitars. It’s about ATTITUDE. Scale it down, take it back to where the song was when you were cutting it.”
rollingstonesdata.com

Master Keith right as always

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: August 13, 2023 15:05

juano
SomeTorontoGirl
If there is more, I’d love to know!

The Rolling Stones – EMI Studio
[www.discogs.com]
Wow! Hopefully an official release of all these EMI sessions will come out someday. I read that ”they also recorded several others songs including “Angie,” “Heartbeat,” “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone,” “The Last Time,” “Make No Mistake,” “Parachute Woman,” and “The Worst.” None of these have yet surfaced from these sessions however.”

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 13, 2023 15:59

Topi
Irix

At the No Filter US-Tour 2019 they did acoustic sets of 2 songs on the B-stage: [iorr.org] - (see the reports).

But it wasn't a Jagger/Richards acoustic set à la 1969-70, was it?

To be very precise it wasn't a Jagger/Richards set on the 1969 tour either. It was one song - You Gotta Move. Prodigal Son was with Charlie.

Re: How about The Stones doing a true "Unplugged" show?
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 13, 2023 18:04

If Mick liked this idea he would have put it together years ago. Now time has expired.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: August 13, 2023 18:42

Boring. Stripped was perfect.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 14, 2023 19:24

georgelicks
Zero chance, Mick will be bored to death with only 10 minutes in rehearsals.

I was thinking something similar, Jagger couldn't sit still that long!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2023 07:17

I think it would be fantastic - a small theater, intimate setting, an acoustic set, stripped down, including warhorses, rarities, covers, and maybe even a new tune or two.
Not gonna happen anytime soon, and possibly never will, but wish it would.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 15, 2023 10:24

harlem shuffle
Not possible with Keith,s guitarplaying now

That I would dispute.

Keith's acoustic playing remains mesmerising...

...with great taste, touch and phrasing .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-15 10:32 by Spud.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 15, 2023 12:14

They could have done some shows only with rarities (not necessarily only acoustic) in a small club or maybe even on the Montreux Jazz Festival years ago if they would have liked the idea and rehearsed properly. And surely a live album would have sold well. But obviously they never thought about it, and now it's too late.

Shadows of the evening crawl across the years...

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 15, 2023 12:23

saltoftheearth
They could have done some shows only with rarities (not necessarily only acoustic) in a small club or maybe even on the Montreux Jazz Festival years ago if they would have liked the idea and rehearsed properly. And surely a live album would have sold well. But obviously they never thought about it, and now it's too late.

Shadows of the evening crawl across the years...

Stripped, Shine A Light, Licks Theatre Shows and Fonda are the Stones versions of what you described above. All those shows had many rare songs in a small setting. Some warhorses were added but you had a bunch of very rare songs in all those concerts. And all of them have been released.

Date: August 15, 2023 14:42

I would love this. But it will never happen. Enjoying the pool at the moment otherwise would be very tempted to think about a nice setlist with a lot of electric songs done accoustic like all down the line.

What other songs would sound cool?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 16, 2023 19:08

I think the question is being asked mainly because folk might be thinking that because of their age now, maybe a slightly scaled down (in terms of stage size and all the running about etc) show might be the way to go ?

Personally, I think that a general scaling down (venue size/stage size/less running around) of what they do might be the way forward, perhaps a combined fully electric show and a number of acoustic songs (seated) could work ? A kind of half/half ?

But I can just hear BV piping up with "not commercially viable" and "they can sell out stadiums" etc, so much as it might be desirable and even feasible in some form or other - it'll never likely happen !

All to play for. We'll see .. or (heaven forbid) maybe we won't !?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 16, 2023 19:42

django
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards on the Paradiso ‘stripped’ shows (1995):
Mick: “All sitting on stools in a line – that wasn’t really the Rolling Stones. Also, I thought MTV Unplugged was really boring television… The results of the filmed Tokyo sessions were terrible. It was the dullest TV I’d ever seen – and boring without an audience. So we finally decided, Let’s do a club show. And we lighted on the Paradiso.

…We had to do this nod to the acoustic business, to see if it works. In rehearsal, Beast of Burden was really good. But last night, with the audience, it was a bust because I couldn’t hear anything. I wasn’t singing on my own out there. I had 100 backing vocalists going, Never, never, never in funny Dutch English. I felt that we would take the best elements from Unplugged, the intimate thing of it, without actually doing it completely unplugged.”

Thank you Django, great read.

It is funny that they gave the Unpluggled concept a 3rd try in Portugal...
Nico says they booked a studio for 4 days so they really tried hard this time.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 16, 2023 19:50

paulywaul
I think the question is being asked mainly because folk might be thinking that because of their age now, maybe a slightly scaled down (in terms of stage size and all the running about etc) show might be the way to go ?

Personally, I think that a general scaling down (venue size/stage size/less running around) of what they do might be the way forward, perhaps a combined fully electric show and a number of acoustic songs (seated) could work ? A kind of half/half ?

But I can just hear BV piping up with "not commercially viable" and "they can sell out stadiums" etc, so much as it might be desirable and even feasible in some form or other - it'll never likely happen !

I think its all rather sad, and tawdry too, that commercial considerations rule supreme ALL the time. Whatever we might get, and it is a BIG might, will have to meet stringent and almost impossibly high, financial thresholds. Before lots of people get annoyed with me and say I'm being stupidly unrealistic and idiotically idealistic, please know I'm simply saying AN OCCASIONAL gesture would be nice. One or two semi-freebies scattered here and there for us, the great unwashed long-time fans among the throngs of corporate concert goers and wealthy yacht-owning 'rawk-lovin' hangers-on...

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 16, 2023 20:48

juano
SomeTorontoGirl
If there is more, I’d love to know!

The Rolling Stones – EMI Studio
[www.discogs.com]

Love all of those; on a big Stripped/Voodoo Lounge revisit at moment.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 17, 2023 10:59

GerardHennessy
paulywaul

I think its all rather sad, and tawdry too, that commercial considerations rule supreme ALL the time. Whatever we might get, and it is a BIG might, will have to meet stringent and almost impossibly high, financial thresholds. Before lots of people get annoyed with me and say I'm being stupidly unrealistic and idiotically idealistic, please know I'm simply saying AN OCCASIONAL gesture would be nice. One or two semi-freebies scattered here and there for us, the great unwashed long-time fans among the throngs of corporate concert goers and wealthy yacht-owning 'rawk-lovin' hangers-on...

I think many of us share your sentiment...but we're, sadly, more cynical about the reality.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 17, 2023 14:49

I'm not even sure an audience is necessary. I personally really enjoyed what little we did see of the EMI Toshiba sessions. How much work would it take for them to maybe rehearse a day or two and then start rolling cameras and then cut out songs that didn't work. Maybe even attempt this while getting ready for the next tour (if there is one).

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home