Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Paint it black - live 2022 - Mick vocals
Posted by: GJB ()
Date: August 10, 2023 00:50

Hi all,

Just thought I would share an observation...

When you listen to a live version of paint it black, Mick often elongates the song by singing the "I wanna see it painted, painted black, as black as night, as black as coal, I wanna see the sun, blotted out from the sky, I wanna see it painted, painted black, yeah...." at half the pace of the original record... often this results in the crowd singing the next line before Mick does.

For an example...see Hype Park 1 (June 25th)

[www.youtube.com]

Skip to 3 mins 48 seconds.

I have thought for years and years... why?! As Mick, who I usually think is a crowd pleaser almost seems to be battling the crowd...

Then... I take my friends to Hyde Park 2 (July 3rd 2022) and after warning them Mick sings it at half pace... he goes and does this...

[www.youtube.com]

Skip to 3 mins 30 seconds.

That is right, after what I think was years and years of singing it at half speed, he went at full speed!

For the next gig at Amsterdam he did the same, and by watching Berlin - he is still doing the original version!

As far back as 2012, Mick did the slow half-time version:

[www.youtube.com]

Actually, even during steel wheels he did the half-time version:

[www.youtube.com]

So wow! Hyde Park 2 (July 3rd 2022) was potentially the first time Mick sang paint it black at full speed since maybe 1967? (Given they didn't play the song between then and steel wheels tour).

Would love to know if anyone else has noticed this, or can think of any occasions that Mick has sang it at full speed before Hyde Park 2?

I think he heard the crowd carry on singing at hyde park 1 and changed!

GJB

Re: Paint it black - live 2022 - Mick vocals
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 10, 2023 08:21

Obviously the crowed teached him how to sing it properly and Mick gladly accepted the lesson...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home