Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rarities or specialties
Date: December 3, 2005 01:29

This album contains some rare tracks - sure - but mostly it contains best ever versions of. Tell me a better version of wild horses?

Re: Rarities or specialties
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 3, 2005 01:34

Sticky Fingers

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 3, 2005 01:43

Sticky Fingers!

So simple.I wont buy this record. Why should we???

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 3, 2005 01:57

Wild Horses is the exact same version as on "Stripped", isnt it. The original version is much better, I think. The Am7 instead of Am at the beginning give you a hint of that this is a PERFORMANCE, not a masterpiece by-heart.
Besides, I even think Gram Parsons version is MUCH better than the "Stripped" version. (Its hard to compare it with the original version though, both are unique.)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 3, 2005 12:02

Wild Horses is better.
Tumbling Dice is better.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: KYRIAKOS ()
Date: December 3, 2005 14:52

Well I donot consider songs as finished products as they reach our ears for the first time. The finished song on a studio album is more like of a version of the song as a concept, an idea in the artists' minds.From then on, a new life of the song begins, a long proceedure. A line of eternal re-interpretations. "Tumbling dice" for example is not in my opinion a song in "Exile". It is a sum of what went on before this version-the actual version on the album- and all the versions which followed and on the way to come.It is like the past-present-future concept. Events, "History", ideas and ideals are revisited again and again.It is not a kind of a closed circuit in my opinion.

Date: December 3, 2005 16:01

KYRIAKOS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I donot consider songs as finished products
> as they reach our ears for the first time. The
> finished song on a studio album is more like of a
> version of the song as a concept, an idea in the
> artists' minds.From then on, a new life of the
> song begins, a long proceedure. A line of eternal
> re-interpretations. "Tumbling dice" for example is
> not in my opinion a song in "Exile". It is a sum
> of what went on before this version-the actual
> version on the album- and all the versions which
> followed and on the way to come.It is like the
> past-present-future concept. Events, "History",
> ideas and ideals are revisited again and again.It
> is not a kind of a closed circuit in my opinion.

I agree with your view. But sometimes songs on albums are finished in the sense that they can't be done any better - either because there was much effort put into them or because in fact they weren't ever played live the way the are on record. This means they just CANNOT be played live like this. Overdubbing is the word. Keith will play his shite a hundred times. He will get it alright once and that's what we hear on record. But that's not Keith live. Modern studio technique produces artificial songs that can only be reproduced with the help of guys like Matt Clifford or with additional guitarists like Blondie (who maybe ain't that talented but who can put that stuff down EVERY time, guys who won't @#$%&-up the "Brown sugar" intro almost every time they do it).

Posted by: KYRIAKOS ()
Date: December 4, 2005 11:05

F.U.C The Captain you've got a point here and I agree.Studio recordings tend to be artificial more and more and are really hard to be reproduced live using 2 guitars,bass,drums.Same thing on a lesser extend goes for all studio recordings, present or past. On the other hand, there are lots of people who go to concerts and expect to hear the exact studio version.I think that in the 1989-90 concerts the band tried to get closer to the studio arrangements (cowbell on Honky Tonk, horn on You can't always..,the pre-recorded congas on Sympathy etc).This would be another conversation maybe, but I think it is much harder to reproduce live "We love you", "She's a rainbow"(they tried in 97-98), "Moonlight mile"(same for that one),"Time waits for noone" for example than almost anything from more recent, technically advanced studio recordings, just by using the core five-members sound.Up to 1982 they used to play all the rockers, some of the slow to moderate songs too, using their fine,strong,charming,monolithic sound as the main axle.But from 1989 on, I think that they've tried to build a different kind of relationship between studio and live version-past and present. I think they did fine bringing lots of songs out to breathe.In my opinion they succeeded in knitting a thread,reconstructing the umbilical cord NOT in a nostalgic way whatsoever.Concerning myself, they recharged my initial zest for all those sounds and marvels.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home