Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Buffy Sainte Marie retires from live performances
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 4, 2023 14:31

(Well…OT- ish. She was married to Jack Nitzsche for a while.)

[www.thestar.com]

Buffy Sainte-Marie retires from live performances, cites health concerns

Buffy Sainte-Marie has announced that she’s retiring from live performances.

A statement announcing her decision cited factors including travel-induced health concerns and performance-inhibiting physical challenges.

“I have made the difficult decision to pull out of all scheduled performances in the foreseeable future,“ Sainte-Marie said in the statement. ”Arthritic hands and a recent shoulder injury have made it no longer possible to perform to my standards.

“Sincere regrets to all my fans and family, my band and the support teams that make it all possible.”

The legendary singer-songwriter, who’s in her early 80s, suggested in September that performances in Ottawa and Vancouver were part of what she said was “probably going to be her last tour.”

Sainte-Marie, in an interview with The Canadian Press at the time, said she was cutting back on flying, meaning fewer appearances, following a rough summer that included a bout with COVID-19 and being stranded at least twice as airlines experienced countless delays and cancellations.

“I’m not saying that I’m never going to perform again,“ she had said. ”It’s not like: ‘She’s going to retire.’ I’m not in the business world. I’ve retired many times without ever calling it retirement.

An upcoming music festival in British Columbia has already announced plans to replace her.

The City of Burnaby said in a statement that American indie-folk band Fleet Foxes will take Sainte-Marie’s spot in the Burnaby Blues + Roots Festival, which takes place Aug. 12.

The Cree artist and activist has roots in the Qu’Appelle Valley in Saskatchewan and was adopted by an American family from Massachusetts.

In 1982, Sainte-Marie became the first Indigenous person to win an Oscar as co-writer of “Up Where We Belong’’ for the movie ”An Officer and a Gentleman.’’

Re: OT - Buffy Sainte Marie retires from live performances
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: August 4, 2023 16:06

Greatness, even if less popular than Taylor Swift.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 4, 2023 16:28

She was very popular in Japan in the early 70s with a hit, The Circle Game (from the movie, The Strawberry Statement), and then Soldier Blue (again, from the eponymous movie).

As far as I know, her only Japanese appearance was for Hakone Aphrodite, August 6-7, 1971, an outdoor music event featuring Pink Floyd as headliners for both dates. After that, she faded.

The website below shows the program of Hakone Aphrodite and you can see the contents — one page features Buffy’s photo.

[www.pinkfloydz.com]

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: August 8, 2023 17:49

Got her autograph in Marquette, Michigan, mid-seventies. Seemed very nice.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: August 8, 2023 23:44

A true lady ! Kind of native Joan Baez. With Joni Mitchell, maybe the three main female folk voices from the 60s.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 9, 2023 00:05

My god, I haven't heard that name in years. Had no idea she was still out there touring.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: August 9, 2023 00:54

Here's Buffy being interviewed by Strombo (who interviewed Keith during the No Filter tour) a while back. A very accomplished woman and been around since the early 60's.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 9, 2023 01:46

SomeTorontoGirl
(Well…OT- ish. She was married to Jack Nitzsche for a while.)

[www.thestar.com]

Buffy Sainte-Marie retires from live performances, cites health concerns

Buffy Sainte-Marie has announced that she’s retiring from live performances.

A statement announcing her decision cited factors including travel-induced health concerns and performance-inhibiting physical challenges.

“I have made the difficult decision to pull out of all scheduled performances in the foreseeable future,“ Sainte-Marie said in the statement. ”Arthritic hands and a recent shoulder injury have made it no longer possible to perform to my standards.

“Sincere regrets to all my fans and family, my band and the support teams that make it all possible.”

The legendary singer-songwriter, who’s in her early 80s, suggested in September that performances in Ottawa and Vancouver were part of what she said was “probably going to be her last tour.”

Sainte-Marie, in an interview with The Canadian Press at the time, said she was cutting back on flying, meaning fewer appearances, following a rough summer that included a bout with COVID-19 and being stranded at least twice as airlines experienced countless delays and cancellations.

“I’m not saying that I’m never going to perform again,“ she had said. ”It’s not like: ‘She’s going to retire.’ I’m not in the business world. I’ve retired many times without ever calling it retirement.

An upcoming music festival in British Columbia has already announced plans to replace her.

The City of Burnaby said in a statement that American indie-folk band Fleet Foxes will take Sainte-Marie’s spot in the Burnaby Blues + Roots Festival, which takes place Aug. 12.

The Cree artist and activist has roots in the Qu’Appelle Valley in Saskatchewan and was adopted by an American family from Massachusetts.

In 1982, Sainte-Marie became the first Indigenous person to win an Oscar as co-writer of “Up Where We Belong’’ for the movie ”An Officer and a Gentleman.’’

OK, I was hunting pretty hard for a more concrete Stones connection than Nitzsche, so you can remove OT.

I think I've found it.

It's Officer and a Gentleman...or something. Somefing you can take the wife to do you know what I mean?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home