Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills Super Session
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 29, 2023 18:08

Came across this. Wow. What a ride back in the Wayback Machine. Still a great set of music. Season Of The Witch is such a great listen, especially through headphones. It's jazz-rock-soul-Memphis r&b-hip hop-psychedelia-rap before it's time-fantastic guitar work and other instrumentation. The entire album is on utoob. Enjoy.

[somethingelsereviews.com]

Re: OT: Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills Super Session
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 29, 2023 21:44

If you haven't dug deep into Michael Bloomfield, the boxset 'From His Head to His Heart to His Hands' is a great place to start. Then pick up the individual recordings with Paul Butterfield, Al Kooper, and various solo albums. Bloomfield is a strange genius. Hard to pin down. Very chameleon like. For my ears I couldn't hear a cut and say, 'That's Michael Bloomfield'. All I would know is it's a damn good guitarist.

Ahead of his time too. Check out Santana Clause from 1968. He's Santana before Santana.

He didn't need to work (rich parents) and didn't seek stardom. Never promoted himself much. But I'd put him up there with the greatest. Maybe THE greatest when it came to being able to play many styles.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 29, 2023 21:59

24FPS
If you haven't dug deep into Michael Bloomfield, the boxset 'From His Head to His Heart to His Hands' is a great place to start. Then pick up the individual recordings with Paul Butterfield, Al Kooper, and various solo albums. Bloomfield is a strange genius. Hard to pin down. Very chameleon like. For my ears I couldn't hear a cut and say, 'That's Michael Bloomfield'. All I would know is it's a damn good guitarist.

Ahead of his time too. Check out Santana Clause from 1968. He's Santana before Santana.

He didn't need to work (rich parents) and didn't seek stardom. Never promoted himself much. But I'd put him up there with the greatest. Maybe THE greatest when it came to being able to play many styles.

From what I read on his short book "Me and Big Joe" (which is a great read, btw) and his interview I watched on "Festival!" he seemed a very down-to-earth guy, besides being an amazing guitar player.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 29, 2023 23:17

Bloomfield was a guitar wizard. I put him up there with Jimi. There are a number of his live recordings and other to be found out there. East West by the Paul Butterfield band is a superb album. Won't say all Bloomfield's stuff is all gems but, man, could he play, especially blues. Check out this cut.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 29, 2023 23:21

I remember always thinking I'd hear this album and love it but it never did much for me. The live albums are great, but this album didn't do anything for me, besides Seasons Of The Witch which is truly outstanding on this record.

I know I'm in the minority.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 29, 2023 23:52

Here's another minority member.

I heard the album first in ca. 1973 as a young teenager and found it a bit boring. Then I heard it again somewhen in the 90s and 2000s, and still it didn't do much for me, to the end that I don't own the album to that day. But enough people over here do, so I don't even have to buy it if I want to listen to it again ... winking smiley

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 31, 2023 14:52

this has been on my regular playlist ever since it came out - never get tired of it-- I have owned this on every format : vinyl,8-track, cassette, reel to reel , cd--
KOOPER Bloomfield and Stills-- awesome-- but dont forget the great Harvey Brooks on Bass-- his "Harveys Tune" is the perfect ending to a perfect album !

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 1, 2023 17:05

Timely post. Bloomer was an amazing guitar talent that sadly diminished along with his life when heroin became a problem.

There is a documentary about the Butter Band that I believe premiers tonight on streaming services. Certainly on YouTube. Here is the article with more information. The film is called Born In Chicago.

[chicago.suntimes.com]

Date: August 1, 2023 17:06

Timely post. Bloomer was an amazing guitar talent that sadly diminished along with his life when heroin became a problem.

There is a documentary about the Butter Band that I believe premiers tonight on streaming services. Certainly on YouTube. Here is the article with more information. The film is called Born In Chicago.

Date: August 1, 2023 17:06

sorry for the duplicate...

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 1, 2023 18:16

Bloomfield was one of the really greats!

[www.mikebloomfieldamericanmusic.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 1, 2023 23:52

filstan

I'm not sure his talents ever diminished. He came up on stage for Dylan and played a scorching solo on Groom Still Waiting at the Altar that showed he still had it. Unfortunately Bloomfield died three months later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1263
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home