Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: If they'd have lived....
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 6, 2005 01:44

Bayou:

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. I'll just say this (being huge fans of both guitarists - and let's not forget that Jimi was the much better singer of the two and the better songwriter):

Anything SRV could play, Jimi could (and did)

Vice-versa? I don't think so. That's what I mean about "circles." And SRV was a gentlement - but that's not why he'd be the first to tell you that Jimi was the best. For that matter, SRV takes a back seat to Albert just as a pure blues sytlist.

I saw SRV many times in concert and relish those experiences. I would have traded all of them to have seen Jimi live for five minutes.

Jimi was the best. I can't believe I have to actually type that.

Your serve....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 6, 2005 01:50

one more thing:

I remember Keith commenting on SRV after his second album (as I recall)...something to the effect of "what's he going to do now that he's used up his bag of tricks." Meaning that KR had already noted SRV as repeating himself...something nobody ever acccused Jimi of... he was a limitless supply of ideas and uncanny ability to execute those ideas...

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 6, 2005 01:54

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bayou:
> >
> Anything SRV could play, Jimi could (and did)
>
> Vice-versa? I don't think so.
>
> I saw SRV many times in concert and relish those
> experiences. I would have traded all of them to
> have seen Jimi live for five minutes.
>

Well, I'm not gonna stab at Jimi in any way...

I didn't find his concert that interesting... saw him with the Experience in... prolly 67-68 ? The first live gig I ever saw...

Anyway, as for Jimi being able to play anything SRV ever played... I never heard Jimi play "Dirty Pool" or "Tin Pan Alley"... take a listen to SRV playin' em.

"Jimi Hendrix plays the Blues" CD frankly sounds like kindergarten compared to SRV playin' the blues.

I mean, in a way it depends on what kind of music you like... if you like "acid rock epics" then Hendrix hands down is your guy... if you like the deepest most indigo blues, then I think SRV has it all over JH, and just about anyone else for that matter.

I do appreciate the repartee on this subject. Helps break up the monotony... I'm sitting in the library of an un-identified midwest town, typing a paper on "Aphrodisiacs" for my girlfriend's Human Sexuality class...

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-06 02:32 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 6, 2005 02:15

Hi Stones89,

There were rumours of Bon singing BIB but it's not him singing. I believe the vocalist is Joe Lynn Turner, former Rainbow/ Deep Purple vocalist. I think the track is from an AC/DC tribute album.

If you think about it, Back In Black is a memorial song for Bon so it would be tough for him to sing it!

Posted by: tomee ()
Date: December 6, 2005 02:33

Jerry Garcia! He would have down hill slides and then whoooom. He'd get clean and the music would take off. "every junkies like a setting sun". How about a thred about the guys who have lived and should be bigger.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: December 6, 2005 02:48

DGA35 Wrote:
> Hi Stones89,
>
> There were rumours of Bon singing BIB but it's not
> him singing. I believe the vocalist is Joe Lynn
> Turner, former Rainbow/ Deep Purple vocalist. I
> think the track is from an AC/DC tribute album.
>
> If you think about it, Back In Black is a memorial
> song for Bon so it would be tough for him to sing
> it!

This is so true DGA. I honestly didn't think of that. Damn brain cramps! lol smiling smiley

Date: December 6, 2005 02:55

tomee Wrote:
> Jerry Garcia! He would have down hill slides and
> then whoooom. He'd get clean and the music would
> take off. "every junkies like a setting sun". How
> about a thred about the guys who have lived and
> should be bigger.

As valuable as Jerry's guitar was his function as the "glue" of the Grateful Dead, or if nothing else, the most visible member of the band...

Even though Jimmy Herring is such a competent stand-in, alot of fans will say "the Dead won't be the same without Jerry", and they won't attend the new incarnations of the band...

Just like people won't attend a Creedence Revisted gig because Fogerty isn't there... the music is 98% the same, but the absence of the "visible leader" just really hurts the band.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 6, 2005 03:04

In Fogerty's case, it's not just a visible leader, but the lead singer, lead guitar player, and songwriter. Sure, Doug and Stu are great, but they shouldn't even approximately use the Credence name without John.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2005 03:25

Blind Blake who cut around 80 tracks for Paramount between 1926 - 1932 was the most swinging & sophisticated of the pre-war ragtime, blues guitarists. After Paramount folded in 1932 Blake disappeared and was never heard of again with no record of his death ever being registered.

The Best of Blind Blake - Classic Recordings of the 1920s Yazoo 2058

ROCKMAN

Date: December 6, 2005 03:32

Oka Jimmie Herring = Jerry Garcia Yeaa rriiight Hmm. Jerry was one of the best song writer, singer, improvosational gutair players ever!! But! would he and the dead be playing stadiums? Jerry would be certainly be playing if he were alive. Oh yea they fired Jimmy Herring or he quit.

Date: December 6, 2005 04:00

tomee Wrote:
> Oka Jimmie Herring = Jerry Garcia Yeaa rriiight
> Hmm. Jerry was one of the best song writer,
> singer, improvosational gutair players ever!! But!
> would he and the dead be playing stadiums? Jerry
> would be certainly be playing if he were alive. Oh
> yea they fired Jimmy Herring or he quit.

Which Dead gig with Jimmy Herring did you see that was so terrible ? Everyone I saw was fantastic.

Did I say he "equals" J.G. ? I said he's a "competent stand-in", I'll translate that for you: a very accomplished journeyman guitarist.

You comments are quite histrionic, but because you are so effusive I'm sure you'll be able to provide us with a list of all the terrible Dead gigs you attended where Herring played lead....

....oops, forget that it's more likely that you never saw them...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-06 04:13 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 6, 2005 04:01

To me, SRV got stuck in perfecting his way to sound very similar to Jimi playing the blues. And he did a pretty good job doing so. Jimi on the other hand kept evolving and searching for new musical pathways. He actually had plans of recording with jazz musician Gil Evans, but died a few days before they would start.

Date: December 6, 2005 04:02

Koen Wrote:
> To me, SRV got stuck in perfecting his way to
> sound very similar to Jimi playing the blues. And
> he did a pretty good job doing so. Jimi on the
> other hand kept evolving and searching for new
> musical pathways. He actually had plans of
> recording with jazz musician Gil Evans, but died a
> few days before they would start.

When you say SRV "got stuck" that just doesn't connect with my impression of Stevie at all...

If anything, Stevie was about the most "un-stuck" and completely improvisational player I ever saw...

I mean he just hit the opening chord and let it rip from there... as Clapton said "it just flowed out of him like an open channel"...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 6, 2005 04:19

What I mean by 'got stuck' is that he didn't evolve musically, he played the blues, and that's it. There's nothing wrong with that, he was very good at it. And although maybe improvisational, he always played around the same kind of licks - at least in my ears.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 6, 2005 04:23

right, koen - that's what I (T&A) was trying to say. what he did, he did exceedingly well, but the range was pretty limited (like a lot of blues players). Jimi - the kindergartner - demonstrated no limits.

Date: December 6, 2005 06:07

Hey I saw alot of Jimmie Herring gigs and he's no stand in for Garcia. He's good but to the point, if Jerry lived the "Dead" would have been much bigger. Jimmies playing while its oka to dance to it still leaves me cold. there's not much exploration of tone or emotion, and he dosen't sing so he can't even stand in for Jerry there. Jimmey I heard had a falling out with Phil Lesh who he'd been playing with for the last 5 years. As far as guys who have been as good as dead performing wise I'd have to go with Bob Seger. I never liked him but hey he was Big.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 6, 2005 06:11

On Phil's site he talks about expecting to change the lineup eventually...anyway, nabbing Larry Campbell is a major coup for Phil. I'm very much looking forward to the NYE gig in SF

Date: December 6, 2005 06:27

I'm listening to the Phil show from last night with Larry Camble's stand in John Scofield( larry had a gig with Emmylou) freaking great. I saw Phil twice last week. One great show and one good one. Larry played with dylan and Scofield played with Miles Davis. The torrent is on Phils site in the reviews from 12/4. Its all just music when even when bad is still good. Phil is tough to work with and Jimmy did a great job but you got to heat this Scofield thing. Peace

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home