Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: If they'd have lived....
Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 3, 2005 05:58

If Hendrix would have lived, Melissa Etheridge would have used his sperm, rather than that of David Crosby's. Can see ya see and hear that kid play?

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: December 3, 2005 06:51

Jimi Hendrix

Brain Jones - I'd like to see the original lineup playing today

John Lennon and George Harrison - 25 yrs later, I'd bet there would have been a Beatles reunion Cream did it

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: December 3, 2005 07:19

Bob Dylan. Oh wait, I haven't taken care of the bastard. I'll get on it tommorow tommorow.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: December 3, 2005 08:19

Yes, Janis

Date: December 3, 2005 14:51

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which rockers/bands would still be big if not for
> their untimely deaths?
>
> I say Skynyrd, SRV, and possibly, the Doors. Think
> Cobain would have been found out as overrated with
> little to say.

Problem with Jimbo was he wasn't a musician and he was a heavy alcoholic. His only wish was to be like Brian Jones - what did he do? He died on the same day like his idol. Well, it wasn't exactly a swimming pool. But a bathtub was good enough for the Lizard King.

The best thing Kurt Cobain ever did was shooting himself. He really got on my tits with all his whining and untalented playing. HIs best song was "Molly's lips", a song originally by the Vaselines. Then again Nirvana was maybe the only punk band the US of A ever had. Just 15 years too late. And I never liked punk anyway.

I just hate those Jesus-type-guys whoc like to kill themselves. And I hate their fans even more.

But of course Leonard Skinner and also Stevie would have played on if their aircrafts and hellacopters would have allowed them to do so.

Posted by: mago ()
Date: December 3, 2005 15:28

Come on! Nobody is mentioning Canned Heat. With Blind-Owl Wilson. What a great band! I think some of them are around, but I haven´t heard about them for several years. But Jimi would be the greatest. And the problem is that. The Stones doesn´t have competition from all those old bands. Otherwise they wouldn´t be able to both play careless and double the prices.

Date: December 3, 2005 15:43

mago Wrote:
> But Jimi would be the greatest.

He killed himself. So how could he be greatest?

Maybe Hemigway would be greatest too? Or Jesus? Or any old dick who can't stand this world except by leaving it?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 3, 2005 17:38

Glad to see Jim Croce mentioned. Liked his songwriting style.

Planes and helicopter have killed almost as many of these folks as drugs or themselves.

Cobain still sucks. Courtney Love, too.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 3, 2005 17:54

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Glad to see Jim Croce mentioned. Liked his
> songwriting style.
>
> Planes and helicopter have killed almost as many
> of these folks as drugs or themselves.
>
> Cobain still sucks. Courtney Love, too.

yeah, but courtney love sucks ina different way!

Date: December 3, 2005 18:40

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> yeah, but courtney love sucks ina different way!

Courtney sucked in EVERY way. But I like the Hole song "Pee girl" (really). That's what she is.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 3, 2005 18:51

mago Wrote:
> Come on! Nobody is mentioning Canned Heat. With
> Blind-Owl Wilson. What a great band! I think some
> of them are around, but I haven´t heard about them
> for several years.

of the original Heat members, none are left. Vito De La Parra (drummer, but he wasn't the original one) is the only one still in the current lineup....

Date: December 5, 2005 14:55

Would Lennon still be recording at this stage?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 5, 2005 15:05

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Oooops! How the hell did I forget to mention him
> (Jimi)? Maybe he and Stevie Ray on a double bill?

Jimi would blow away SRV.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 5, 2005 15:12

StonesTod Wrote:
> mago Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
----
> of the original Heat members, none are left. Vito
> De La Parra (drummer, but he wasn't the original
> one) is the only one still in the current
> lineup....

Maybe he wasnt, but he sure played back in 1968 smiling smiley.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 5, 2005 15:25

Freddie Mercury and Frank Zappa. And of course Elvis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-05 17:21 by Koen.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 5, 2005 15:31

Sometimes I hate it that as soon as someone passes away they all of the sudden become this "doomed genius of melancholia". And before nobody really gave them the tiume of day. Michael Hutchence was surely an adwquate singer and frontmaa but certainly no giant ofrock. Or these silly tributes to the guy who spun records for RunDMC. Mixmaster...that is just ridiculous.
But I would have loved to see Brian Jones, Hendrix develop more. Especially Brian.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: December 5, 2005 16:17

What about Bon Scott? Would AC/DC still have made Back In Black or would it have been turned into something else? Awwwww man, someone needs to invent a time machine for these types of things! Bon, Jim M, Lennon and Brian Jones still making music (possibly) in the new millenium!! Now that would be interesting! smiling smiley

Date: December 5, 2005 16:55

There is no reason to believe that a world without Jimi Hendrix dying in 1970 could exist. Only one thing can happen at the same time. There is no such thing as coincidence. Yes, maybe Jimi would have lived if vomit wasn't deadly when entering the lungs. But then maybe lungs could handle vomit if we weren't remote descendants of fishes but of deepsea snails. We think it's free will but there are whole religions which say it's fate or the hand of God. Nevermind, you won't doubt you're born to die.

All the thoughts about parallel universes or "what ifs" have no foundation. They're just amusing.

Date: December 5, 2005 17:57

Huh?

Date: December 5, 2005 18:01

Scuse me Elmo, I didn't intend to... I just got carried away!

Date: December 5, 2005 18:17

Cool! Parallel universes. etc. have always seemed interesting, but I was speaking of rockers in particular. Who do you think would have still been doing good work, Captain?

Date: December 5, 2005 18:44

I think phone phreak Captain Crunch would be still doing good work if only Ma Bell hadn't @#$%& him three times so he now looks like Jim Henson.

I think about dead rockstars everything has been said in Greil Marcus' article "Rock'n'roll exitus in the 70's" (reprinted in his book THE FASCIST BATHROOM, where I have read it). In about 1976 he classified all rock stars who died since 1970 and gave notes:
a. for the rock stars contribution to rock'n'roll
b. for the expected future contribution the rock star would have made if it wasn't for his exitus
c. points for performance (regarding his death) - a rock'n'roll death (like airplane crash) gives the most points here
d. total of points (maximum is 30)

As far as I remember Jimi Hendrix was #2 in the list, Jim Morrison was at about #25. But as said the list only covers rocks stars that died between 1970 and about 1976.

Date: December 5, 2005 19:33

Again, huh?

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 5, 2005 19:34

Anyone's passing is a loss, so with all respect to everyone:

Jimi Hendrix' music was already "wandering" and going pretty much downhill after he left the Experience. "Are You Experienced" is by far his most interesting album.

Jim Morrison was already well adrift.

Jon Bonham was such a standout drummer, but it's questionable whether Zeppelin had that much new material left... would they have stuck together ? I'm gonna guess "yes"... at least for some potentially incredible "reunion" tours.

Keith Moon... what a loss for the Who... and it's more likely IMO that the Who would still be touring than Zeppelin, so I think a bigger "loss" music-wise, at least for touring music.

WHO would likely still be producing top-quality music and holding together top-quality bands today? My picks:

Janis Joplin: such a completely under-appreciated blues talent. Very few singers black or white could fill her shoes and nobody has since.

Stevie Ray: enough said. Probably the single-greatest loss as he would still be barely reaching his prime right now.

Jerry Garcia: The Dead would still be well-intact and touring but for losing Jerry... FWIW, don't miss any of the Grateful Dead incarnations "The Dead" "Phil Lesh and Friends", etc. etc... they all put on great concerts.

Duane Allman: Somehow I think D.A. would still be leading the Allman Brothers, keeping the band together and "on-course"... a major "musicial" loss.

Elvis: hard to say if he could pull out of his spiral, but he would have had to to make it to 2005 so any version would have found him as sort of a "latter day Sinatra", interpreting everything from rock to gospel to country.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Date: December 5, 2005 19:39

Duane Allman- good choice

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 5, 2005 23:06

Hey Stones89. I can't believe I forgot to include Bon on my list. I'm a huge AC/DC fan. From what I've read, Malcolm and Angus had already started the recording sessions but Bon hadn't begun writing lyrics yet. I guess theoretically some of the songs on Back In Black would have been released if Bon had lived, but with different lyrics.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 5, 2005 23:16

loved 'em both, but how anyone in their right mind could suggest SRV as a bigger loss than Jimi is mind-boggling. Jimi could play circles around anything SRV ever played....SRV would've been the first to admit it. SRV "said" everything he had so "say" on his debut album...it was all repetition thereafter.

Date: December 6, 2005 01:20

DGA35 Wrote:
> Hey Stones89. I can't believe I forgot to include
> Bon on my list. I'm a huge AC/DC fan. From what
> I've read, Malcolm and Angus had already started
> the recording sessions but Bon hadn't begun
> writing lyrics yet. I guess theoretically some of
> the songs on Back In Black would have been
> released if Bon had lived, but with different
> lyrics.

DGA, have you ever heard the Bon Scott version of Back In Black? I may have to post it. I just have to rip it into the ol' computer! smiling smiley

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 6, 2005 01:22

T&A Wrote:
> loved 'em both, but how anyone in their right mind
> could suggest SRV as a bigger loss than Jimi is
> mind-boggling. Jimi could play circles around
> anything SRV ever played....SRV would've been the
> first to admit it. SRV "said" everything he had
> so "say" on his debut album...it was all
> repetition thereafter.

"Jimi could play circles around anything SRV ever played..."

That's some of the purest bullsh*t I've read in quite awhile... with all due respect to Hendrix, SRV doesn't take a back seat to anybody.

And of course SRV would "admit it" because that's the politically correct thing to do... "Hendrix is the greatest" that's the "party line"... while the fact is that SRV was at least as fast, at least as "inspired" and certainly a FAR BETTER BLUESMAN.

Don't believe me?

"I don't think anyone has commanded my respect more, to this day...I was scared to follow Stevie on stage... He seemed to be an open channel and music just flowed through him. It never seemed to dry up..." Eric Clapton

"He was the greatest guitar player who ever lived..." Buddy Guy

"The most lasting memory of Stevie was his passion... I don't think there is anyone who tears into a song like the way he did... he was coming from some place so deep and beautiful that there's no one you can compare to him... To me SRV was the greatest blues guitarist. For fire and passion and soulfulness he was untouchable... he was scary to those of us who watched him..." Bonnie Raitt

"I'll always remember how he kicked my ass all the time on the guitar..." Robert Cray

"I heard all these people saying 'he's just trying to do Hendrix'... but he went alot further than that. He was absolutely 100-proof pure blues... Albert Collins, Muddy Waters - the essence of that was in everything he played. More than the Allman Brothers, he was straight down-the-line blues..." Gregg Allman

So, to say that Jimi could "play circles around SRV"... what hogwash.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-06 01:51 by BornOnTheBayou.

Date: December 6, 2005 01:26

Bayou, SRV AND Jimi were great, but they're no Ron Wood! j/k lol grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home