Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Gary Puckett List
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 22, 2023 18:37

Oh my. IMHO, so many lame/bad/banal tunes of his to recall from the 1960s until...and they were popular. Didn't dig him then, turned off if he pops up on the radio or stream, I'm sure a number of folks out there in music land dug and still dig him.

[danepstein.substack.com]

Re: OT: The Gary Puckett List
Date: July 22, 2023 19:08

He had an amazing voice. If you don't like him then please listen to someone else.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 22, 2023 19:29

No reason to put him down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-22 20:24 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 22, 2023 19:38

If you have anything you want to say to him:

[www.cameo.com]

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: July 22, 2023 20:02

saw GP in concert about 3-4 years ago and it was a nice enjoyable show. No need to knock other artists.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 22, 2023 20:25

dmay
Oh my. IMHO, so many lame/bad/banal tunes of his to recall from the 1960s until...and they were popular. Didn't dig him then, turned off if he pops up on the radio or stream, I'm sure a number of folks out there in music land dug and still dig him.

[danepstein.substack.com]
His songs are better than 90 percent of rap

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 22, 2023 22:34

As far as I remember and know of him, he was a one hit wonder with Young Girl which was not a bad tune as far as teeny bopper/soft pop rock goes.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: July 22, 2023 23:07

He had 6 top 15 hits in the late 60's.

Date: July 23, 2023 00:01

timmyj3

I was only between 5-7 yrs. old in the late '60's, and the only tune I recall from him is Young Girl being played on AM radio - probably 93 KHJ (in Los Angeles).
Just listened to the other tunes mentioned in that article, and don't know any of them - "Lady Willpower"? Nope. "This Girl is a Woman Now"? Nope. “Let's Give Adam and Eve Another Chance”? Nope.
Reminds me of the old tv game show "Name That Tune"...guess I would have lost if any of those oddities would have been played. Anyhow they're not very good to begin with, so no wonder I have no memory of them.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 23, 2023 00:22

Who opens an off topic thread just to put a musician down to create ridicule.
He's had a few great songs that gave/give joy, what have you done.

Date: July 23, 2023 00:58

Hairball
timmyj3

I was only between 5-7 yrs. old in the late '60's, and the only tune I recall from him is Young Girl being played on AM radio - probably 93 KHJ (in Los Angeles).
Just listened to the other tunes mentioned in that article, and don't know any of them - "Lady Willpower"? Nope. "This Girl is a Woman Now"? Nope. “Let's Give Adam and Eve Another Chance”? Nope.
Reminds me of the old tv game show "Name That Tune"...guess I would have lost if any of those oddities would have been played. Anyhow they're not very good to begin with, so no wonder I have no memory of them.

I remember them all because I'm a few years older than you. Your opinion is not the standard, merely a circuitous statement that you don't like him.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 23, 2023 01:21

Hey, folks, I ain't ridiculing the man. Just posting something someone wrote about him. I simply found him back then and now an exemplar of bland 60s era pop. This isn't ridicule, just a matter of individual taste. There were many pretty bland bands/performers/songs during that time and after. For examples, the "Worst That Could Happen" by the Brooklyn Bridge, which many people love, Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey", Paul McCartney's "My Love", Elvis "Always On My Mind". All popular hits. Your liking/disliking of them then - and now - and other tunes is your call.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 23, 2023 01:25

TheflyingDutchman
Hairball
timmyj3

I remember them all because I'm a few years older than you. Your opinion is not the standard, merely a circuitous statement that you don't like him.

Agreed, I'm 58 and remember the songs very well, plus the man is 80 years old and still touring this year, so respect for that, even Mick is unable to tour age 80 as fit as he once was, it's an amazing achievement to he celebrated.

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: July 23, 2023 02:03

I thought he had a great voice, but the songs. . .not for me, but many loved them. It's like ABBA and the Carpenters, frankly, where I never liked them, but they sold zillions.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 23, 2023 02:20

All I'm sayin' is dont start in on "Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds"- at the time I thought Joe and Frank were two different guys..not so. I was young and easily confused.

Date: July 23, 2023 02:45

TheflyingDutchman
Hairball
timmyj3

Good for you. As I said in my first post: "As far as I remember and know of him" meaning in my opinion.
I also said that Young Girl was not a bad tune as far as teeny bopper/soft pop rock goes. I never said that I don't like him, I just don't like some of his tunes!
But after reading the article, can't help but think he's a bit creepy....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 23, 2023 02:55

Pleeeeze can you list the songs of his you dont like

ROCKMAN

Date: July 23, 2023 03:07

dmay
Hey, folks, I ain't ridiculing the man. Just posting something someone wrote about him. I simply found him back then and now an exemplar of bland 60s era pop. This isn't ridicule, just a matter of individual taste. There were many pretty bland bands/performers/songs during that time and after. For examples, the "Worst That Could Happen" by the Brooklyn Bridge, which many people love, Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey", Paul McCartney's "My Love", Elvis "Always On My Mind". All popular hits. Your liking/disliking of them then - and now - and other tunes is your call.

I agree for the most part, but I do think McCartney's "My Love" and Elvis' "Always On My Mind" are both great tunes, and are far superior to anything Gary Pucket has ever released.
Just my opinion of course, and no doubt some will disagree. By the way, I don't recall the "Worst That Could Happen" by the Brooklyn Bridge...could have been before my time, or I simply don't recall it...

-----------------------------------------

EDIT: Just watched and listened to "Worst That Could Happen" by the Brooklyn Bridge on the Ed Sullivan show, 1968, and does not ring a bell at all.
Excellent tune though...........winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-23 03:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 23, 2023 04:16

DAN EPSTEIN ....
Click bait journalist .....Yawn stuff

Man ya can twist the story and nail
tagether a case like this for so many artists ....

Heck that Love Me Do song asking young girls
to adore their hair is so creepy ... then there's poor
ole Lavatory Lil when all she's really after is her own Bentley

Wait till Dan finds out about Jamaican Mento ..... Oh and Jefferey

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 28, 2023 14:43

First album I ever bought, in a supermarket while shopping with my mom in 1968 when I was nine years old. I bought it because I liked the faux Civil War uniforms they were wearing on the cover. No other reason. I liked the record, though, and listened to it often. Those songs still evoke strong feelings of nostalgia even today. Enough to go see him perform them in concert? Probably not.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 28, 2023 15:01

I remember Gary Puckett - and The Union Gap - very well indeed. Young Girl was a massive hit back home in the summer of '68. And I remember two other of his hits especially clearly too. Smaller hits for sure, but certainly played regularly on the radio. They were Lady willpower, which was his follow up to Young Girl, and Woman, Woman, which preceeded YG, but was re-released after LW to cash in on his much higher profile.

At the time I really liked them all. Okay, they were not exactly acid rock, or psychedelia, but the guy had a good voice, the songs could be sung along to, and they fitted into the much more diverse chart-based material of the time.

I respect the guy! Good on ya bud!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 28, 2023 20:35

It must be a slow news day....bashing Gary Puckett, of all people! Some folks obviously need to get a life. Gary Puckett has an absolutely beautiful voice, I saw him in the 60's, met the band, got the autographs, the whole nine yards and some 35 years later I saw him perform solo at the Colonial Theatre in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. He packed the place, his voice was still as strong and clear as when he was a youngster and I can tell you he is a really lovely man! I went back stage with a few folks to chat with him and he could not have been nicer. Like I said, there must be very little going on in ones' life to take the time to bash GARY PUCKETT!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 29, 2023 03:10

Just good pop music. I actually saw him open for the Monkees once (along with Peter Noone - a real cheesy loser - Henry The 8th, anyone).....

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 30, 2023 20:29

This thread exists because "Gary Puckett List" rhymes with bucket list.

Guess who I like better
Yes, I know who you're thinking

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 1, 2023 10:34

keefriffhards

Agreed, I'm 58 and remember the songs very well, plus the man is 80 years old and still touring this year, so respect for that, even Mick is unable to tour age 80 as fit as he once was, it's an amazing achievement to he celebrated.

Nice that you have a true idol singer. Probably you could go to his fansite and stop your bitching about Mick Jagger here. BV has more important task to do than clearing up this site from your shit (like the stuff you wrote on Mick's birthday thread).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-01 10:36 by Doxa.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home