Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Bill Graham losing 1989 Steel Wheels Tour
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 15, 2023 16:56

lem means if STEEL WHEELS had gone the way of Pink Floyd without Roger. Sure, the name would have sold, but it likely would have been Jimmy Rip replacing Keith as a sideman.

As for georgie48's comment: "Don't forget, Keith had much more support during his live solo tour than Mick J. in the 80s."

Well, Keith had one arena in the States in 1988 and one stadium in Buenos Aires in 1992. A lot of theaters and halls otherwise. In terms of attendance, Mick in 1988 showed who was the superstar, though not at the level of his band/brand. Keith proved who was the cult figure/rabid fan favorite. MAIN OFFENDER proved how much that was worth in terms of sales once the novelty wore off. They both learned they weren't The Rolling Stones in terms of public acceptance.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 15, 2023 17:39

Rocky Dijon
lem means if STEEL WHEELS had gone the way of Pink Floyd without Roger. Sure, the name would have sold, but it likely would have been Jimmy Rip replacing Keith as a sideman.

As for georgie48's comment: "Don't forget, Keith had much more support during his live solo tour than Mick J. in the 80s."

Well, Keith had one arena in the States in 1988 and one stadium in Buenos Aires in 1992. A lot of theaters and halls otherwise. In terms of attendance, Mick in 1988 showed who was the superstar, though not at the level of his band/brand. Keith proved who was the cult figure/rabid fan favorite. MAIN OFFENDER proved how much that was worth in terms of sales once the novelty wore off. They both learned they weren't The Rolling Stones in terms of public acceptance.

Perfect summary!

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 15, 2023 22:07

Without Mick they would be overlooked, without Keith they would be a joke.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 17, 2023 06:39

caschimann
GasLightStreet
caschimann
Keith's two solo albums are mostly listenable. Mick's are mostly unlistenable.

Mick focused on himself. Keith just wanted to be free to play music.

Totally Keith-camp-nonsense.
Keith albums are awful to 80%
Micks albums (instesd of. the 2cnd one)
sre pretty good.

Learn how to quote - and say something with some sense instead of sounding like a millennial.

Keith camp nonsense?

Bullshit.

Music truth.

Keith's albums compared to Mick's are listenable. Only WANDERING SPIRIT has essence.

Learn how to quote - Bullshit - You sound like a millennial - Music truth - Keith's albums compared to Mick's are listenable = Keith camp nonsense again.

Ah. Nothing original to offer, just pathetic copycatting millennial copy and paste job.

And no sense of objective taste.

Typical.

Go listen to SHE'S THE BOSS. You're wasting time on mom's couch, what's the difference.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 17, 2023 11:51

skytrench

So a band with Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman,Mick Taylor, Ron Wood and Mick Jagger would’ve been a joke?
And by the why, no one has answered the question yet-

It’s simple, Jagger makes Keith into Brian. Fck off, here’s your check.how does the Steel Wheels tour do?

The Keith camp were so vocal earlier, solo records, tours blah blah blah. And now they’re so quiet.
It’s easy, Bill and Charlie , Mick Taylor Ronnie and Jagger- 1989, how does the tour do?

Date: July 17, 2023 12:17

lem motlow
skytrench

So a band with Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman,Mick Taylor, Ron Wood and Mick Jagger would’ve been a joke?

It’s simple, Jagger makes Keith into Brian. Fck off, here’s your check.how does the Steel Wheels tour do?

The Keith camp were so vocal earlier, solo records, tours blah blah blah. And now they’re so quiet.
It’s easy, Bill and Charlie , Mick Taylor Ronnie and Jagger- 1989, how does the tour do?

I like the post of skytrench a lot. It's all there in one sentence.

(Richards not on stage is no Stones - Mick not on stage is sad Stones)

Date: July 17, 2023 12:37

Who cares? It never happened. Mick haters and Keef haters are naff pisstakers on here. Enough.
Rolling Stones would have be diminished minus Keith in 89, or at any number. He is the co-songwriter, which Brain was not, nor Taylor. I think it would not have played well, and to answer that boring question, it would have done shit. HE is essential to the line up. The end.

Date: July 17, 2023 12:54

I fear we soon will get problems with the IORR-"out of topic"-Police.smileys with beer
So better back to Bill Graham.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 17, 2023 13:07

MadMetaphoricalMax
Who cares? It never happened. Mick haters and Keef haters are naff pisstakers on here. Enough.
Rolling Stones would have be diminished minus Keith in 89, or at any number. He is the co-songwriter, which Brain was not, nor Taylor. I think it would not have played well, and to answer that boring question, it would have done shit. HE is essential to the line up. The end.

Ah,finally an honest opinion. Steel Wheels would’ve done “shit” I love hardcore Stones Fans because I am one.
They wouldn’t have sold one less ticket.I know it hurts, the truth always does.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 18, 2023 17:28

lem motlow
skytrench

I thought I did answer - one ticket not sold, to Keith. There are rumblings, there is some fan anger, and it's the biggest tour in history. They would have to deliver, which they would have.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 18, 2023 17:34

MadMetaphoricalMax

Keith's major contribution to the band as a songwriter ended in the 80s if not before. I agree, the RS would have been diminished minus Keith. It is a good balance between the two leads that's kept this thing going.

But that wasn't the question posed, it was whether the tour would have been a success and I think it's pretty clear it would have been. WWIII as it were would have ended with a Keith buyout. Fans would have been shocked and pissed, and then gotten over it. Keith would have written LIFE a couple of decades earlier and we would have gotten the todger thing and probably much worse by 92.

But it didn't happen thankfully and here we are 34 years after Steel Wheels, more than 50% of the life of the band. Amazing.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 19, 2023 11:55

lem motlow
skytrench

Yes, not having Keith kicking off the songs in his unorthodox style would seem so wrong, I'd call it a joke even though Ronnie would do a good imitation. Sure, the Steel Wheels tour would still have been a huge success and I would gladly have bought my ticket anyway.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 19, 2023 12:29

This thread has been hijacked into an offending fight related to Mick vs Keith. Please stray on topic, orherwise thread will be closed.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-19 12:36 by bv.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home