Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Bill Graham losing 1989 Steel Wheels Tour
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 13, 2023 20:17

Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Ask Jimmy Rip. Jagger really was planning on touring behind Wandering Spirit, he had the band ready, but he was not supported by the record company. Jagger's 1988 tour wasn't a financial success, and whereas Jagger wanted to tour the big stadiums, the record company felt he only could do a much smaller arena tour like Keith did. Jagger wanted to be Michael Jackson and Madonna, but he just couldn't fill the same stadiums with his own band. In the end he basically dropped the idea and started working on what would become Voodoo Lounge.

Mathijs

Atlantic paid for the PPV showcase from Webster Hall, but record companies rarely have tour support apart from promoting back catalog and in-store signings with shows (something The Stones or Mick solo didn't do). Think about Stones tours. You didn't see Atlantic, EMI, CBS, Virgin, Polydor, or Interscope with their names among the sponsors. The actual tour support from labels is a relatively small marketing budget. As for Mick solo, both 1988 tours were major successes in their respective countries.

Record companies don't promote their artists on tour (they do provide leaflets, posters,etc. linked to an album though). It is the other way around. Tours are there (not always) to promote the record companies (read: the album(s) they sell representing the artist). Fans in general don't care either way. They are the lucky ones .... a new album (okay the upcoming Stones album was preceded by lots of tours not related directly to any album) ... and one or more concerts grinning smiley

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Jbeckerfan ()
Date: July 13, 2023 20:20

If anyone has a Pollstar account and can download the documented tour numbers (attendance + gross box office $) for Mick Jaggers solo tours I would absolutely love to see them but with all due respect to Mick, at no point in his entire solo career was he ever an arena headliner in North America. Solo Mick should have played the exact same rooms in the 80s and early 90s as solo Keith (3,000 capacity and under theaters and large open floor clubs). But Mick Jaggers ego could never handle the smokey bar environment whereas that environment was very conducive for both Keith's ego (or lacktherof) as well as the bluesy rock tunes he wrote.

Mick Jagger could have toured solo had he wanted to play the rooms he belonged in. Had he booked arenas, it would have been both a PR nightmare for when the shows drastically undersold as well as a bloodbath for any promoters who agreed to put him there.

David Lee Roth without Van Halen had a bigger solo career than Mick Jagger without the Rolling Stones, if that tells you anything.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 13, 2023 22:02

[www.rollingstone.com]

8 shows in Japan, 170K attendees @ Y6500 apiece. 8 shows sold out in hours.

[www.rollingstone.com]

20 shows in Australia and New Zealand (one actually in Indonesia). I haven't found attendance or ticket prices, but I'd ask Terry if it was a big deal for Mick Jagger to tour down under after 15 years. I think you'll find it was big, just not Stones big.

Date: July 13, 2023 22:06

Rocky Dijon
[www.rollingstone.com]

Referring to North America. You can't just plan Japan every week.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 13, 2023 22:12

Rocky Dijon
[www.rollingstone.com]

That situation was unique as the Stones were the one big band to haven’t played Japan at that point (drug convictions allowed the Japanese government to band them). Once the band was lifted in the 1980s, Japanese fans were more than happy and eager to have a solo Mick rather than no Stones at all.

And look what happened two years later when the whole band could get into Japan: those ten dates in Tokyo are still on the record books for gross and attendance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-13 22:14 by stevecardi.

Date: July 13, 2023 22:21

Jbeckerfan

You asked for Pollstar account for attendance and grosses for North America just to point out he didn't tour North America?

I get it. Mick has a platinum album and gold album in the States, 5 Top 40 hits in the States, and played sold out tours of Japan and Australia, but he's a failure. Keith wasn't a failure if held to the same standards. This makes sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-13 22:24 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: July 13, 2023 22:46

Rocky Dijon
Jbeckerfan

You asked for Pollstar account for attendance and grosses for North America just to point out he didn't tour North America?

I get it. Mick has a platinum album and gold album in the States, 5 Top 40 hits in the States, and played sold out tours of Japan and Australia, but he's a failure. Keith wasn't a failure if held to the same standards. This makes sense.

I wasn't aware that he had never toured North America, only that he hadn't done arenas here. I was mistaken in thinking he had done some shows. I was simply pointing out why he hadn't played arenas; because he couldn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-13 22:46 by Jbeckerfan.

Date: July 13, 2023 23:11

Jbeckerfan

I wasn't aware that he had never toured North America, only that he hadn't done arenas here. I was mistaken in thinking he had done some shows. I was simply pointing out why he hadn't played arenas; because he couldn't.

My fault. Yeah, Live-Aid in 1985, L.A.'s The Country Club in 1987 (radio giveaway for music video taping), NY's Webster Hall in 1993 (free concert for PPV album showcase), and L.A.'s El Rey Theater (I believe $5 to enter, though several rows in front went to models and central casting). In other words, no true concerts in the States where tickets went on sale and he had to fill a venue.

Had Mick done the package tour Roger Davies suggested, he would have done fine in arenas. If he had done a limited tour of arenas (not 50 shows), he would have been fine in the States in 1987 or 1988. That meant okay sales, not breaking records in stadiums and being listed as No. 1. That elite status matters. By not touring, he protected that status...for the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-13 23:13 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2023 23:25

Personally, the thought of Mick on a "solo" tour with his band playing mostly Stones tunes is not something I would have been eager to see, let alone pay for.
Maybe in a very small theater or club for apprx. $10 just to see Mick the performer in action, but musically it sounds a bit tribute band-esque...sterile and bland.
But I'm sure many fans would have loved it in arenas and/or even stadioums, just as many enjoy Paul McCartney playing so many Beatles tunes during his shows with his band of side musicians.
Whatever the case, glad it never happened, so contemplating/debating the what-ifs, ands, or buts seems a bit senseless for me so many years after the fact. Ultimately, thankful the Stones continued to roll.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 13, 2023 23:32

georgie48
Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Ask Jimmy Rip. Jagger really was planning on touring behind Wandering Spirit, he had the band ready, but he was not supported by the record company. Jagger's 1988 tour wasn't a financial success, and whereas Jagger wanted to tour the big stadiums, the record company felt he only could do a much smaller arena tour like Keith did. Jagger wanted to be Michael Jackson and Madonna, but he just couldn't fill the same stadiums with his own band. In the end he basically dropped the idea and started working on what would become Voodoo Lounge.

Mathijs

Atlantic paid for the PPV showcase from Webster Hall, but record companies rarely have tour support apart from promoting back catalog and in-store signings with shows (something The Stones or Mick solo didn't do). Think about Stones tours. You didn't see Atlantic, EMI, CBS, Virgin, Polydor, or Interscope with their names among the sponsors. The actual tour support from labels is a relatively small marketing budget. As for Mick solo, both 1988 tours were major successes in their respective countries.

Record companies don't promote their artists on tour (they do provide leaflets, posters,etc. linked to an album though). It is the other way around. Tours are there (not always) to promote the record companies (read: the album(s) they sell representing the artist). Fans in general don't care either way. They are the lucky ones .... a new album (okay the upcoming Stones album was preceded by lots of tours not related directly to any album) ... and one or more concerts grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Actually in the pre Napster era, record companies did provide tour support. Money for the artists to on tour, recoupable against future royalties. Not sure how this translated to arena level headliners but it was very common for opening acts in arenas or club level tours to have their way paid by the record company.

Date: July 14, 2023 00:01

Rocky Dijon
Hairball
Personally, the thought of Mick on a "solo" tour with his band playing mostly Stones tunes is not something I would have been eager to see, let alone pay for.
Maybe in a very small theater or club for apprx. $10 just to see Mick the performer in action, but musically it sounds a bit tribute band-esque...sterile and bland.
But I'm sure many fans would have loved it in arenas and/or even stadioums, just as many enjoy Paul McCartney playing so many Beatles tunes during his shows with his band of side musicians.
Whatever the case, glad it never happened, so contemplating/debating the what-ifs, ands, or buts seems a bit senseless for me so many years after the fact. Ultimately, thankful the Stones continued to roll.

Agree that it was a bit like seeing Macca, but it's easy to say that increasingly since 1989, the Stones have also seemed like a tribute band.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 14, 2023 06:51

Imagine if Mick had gone solo when McCartney did — in his prime, rather than in his mid-40s.

I’m glad he didn’t.

But he wrote a lot of great songs more or less on his own.

I don’t think he’d have had trouble playing arenas.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2023 09:02

caschimann
Keith's two solo albums are mostly listenable. Mick's are mostly unlistenable.

Mick focused on himself. Keith just wanted to be free to play music.

Totally Keith-camp-nonsense.
Keith albums are awful to 80%
Micks albums (instesd of. the 2cnd one)
sre pretty good.

Learn how to quote - and say something with some sense instead of sounding like a millennial.

Keith camp nonsense?

Bullshit.

Music truth.

Keith's albums compared to Mick's are listenable. Only WANDERING SPIRIT has essence.

Date: July 14, 2023 09:04

Doxa
A-ha, this thread turned out to be just another Mick vs. Keith dick contest. Nice.

- Doxa

Oh but it's context and within context. Don't go cutting the tree down because you don't like the lower branches.

Date: July 14, 2023 09:14

caschimann
Mathijs
Dan
Doxa
Mathijs
I think the emphasis on how great Mick is as a businessman is hugely overblown. For the Stones the market is huge, there's only a few promotors that can do these big tours, so negotiating a good deal isn't all that difficult. Mick found out himself that a sell-to market is more important than being a good businessman -he wasn't able to get his solo 1988 Euro or US tour financed, he wasn't able to tour after Wandering Spirit because he couldn't get it financed.

And for Keith: he is equally important to Mick in making decisions. He is not the drugged-out bozo and never was. All decisions concerning the business aspects of the Stones are taken by Mick and Keith, and to some extent Charlie.

Mathijs

I never heard about that Wandering Spirit tour thing. Is this just an educated guess or are there actually some firm sources behind the claim?

- Doxa

Considering the Voodoo Lounge recording and touring cycle was already on the calendar before Wandering Spirit came out, I also highly doubt it.

Also not sure where he gets "getting the tour financed" from as no Mick Jagger solo tour would require the expense and effort behind a Stones tour. Modest self or record company start ups against advances from promoters like any other arena tour of the time. I am sure Mick could have toured the US in 1988 if he wished though the sizes of venues and guarantees he would expect were probably quite different than promoters were willing to offer.

Mathijs

When I see a post talking about "Jagger" all the times I stop reading it. Its out of this world talking about Mick like he is a stranger or some CEO from some corporation. Can't stand this "Jagger"-nonsense anymore. Do you guys think you sound very cool talking like this? Unbelievable.
No one ever talked here about Watts, or Wood, or Wyman, or Richards all the time.
Never.
But again again we have the "Jagger"-talkers here.

I will skip the Keith as long this lasts here.
Going like:
Richards has birthday 2morrow.
Richards has a new guitar.
Richards was seen in NY.
The solo Richards did in Hang Fire was great.
I saw Richards and his wife in the Hamptons.

How weird does this sound!!

Spoken by someone that doesn't believe how warm the Gulf Of Mexico is around southern Florida. Thermometers don't lie and the criticism of Mick is warranted - in context of what this thread is about.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 14, 2023 10:11

retired_dog
Doxa
A-ha, this thread turned out to be just another Mick vs. Keith dick contest. Nice.

- Doxa

Thing is, Mick was getting too much praise in this thread, so Keith fans felt forced to step out to correct the picture. You simply can't say too much positive things about Mick without the usual backfiring from the "other side".

First and foremost, I'm a Stones fan. Can't understand this Mick vs. Keith thing. Who invented this schism? Jane, is it your Keith marketing strategy?

This is the only fansite I’ve ever seen like this.it’s just odd,a certain amount of the people just say crazy unrealistic shit about the lead singer.
Everyone, and I mean everyone that listens to rock and roll knows Jagger is the face of the Stones and he runs the show- except here.
I recently read an article about Carl Denson and he said he played a solo too long and got “ called to the boss’s office for that one”- he was talking about Mick

The Steel Wheels tour started in Philly at Veterans Stadium.they played 2 nights to 110,000 people.
If Ron Wood and Mick Taylor we’re on guitar is it any different? Of course not.
But on good old IORR Jagger couldn’t sell out the 18000 seat Philly spectrum.
You guys are different and I mean that in the nicest way.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 14, 2023 10:53

GasLightStreet
caschimann
Keith's two solo albums are mostly listenable. Mick's are mostly unlistenable.

Mick focused on himself. Keith just wanted to be free to play music.

Totally Keith-camp-nonsense.
Keith albums are awful to 80%
Micks albums (instesd of. the 2cnd one)
sre pretty good.

Learn how to quote - and say something with some sense instead of sounding like a millennial.

Keith camp nonsense?

Bullshit.

Music truth.

Keith's albums compared to Mick's are listenable. Only WANDERING SPIRIT has essence.

Learn how to quote - Bullshit - You sound like a millennial - Music truth - Keith's albums compared to Mick's are listenable = Keith camp nonsense again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-14 11:45 by caschimann.

Date: July 14, 2023 19:39

lem motlow

This is the only fansite I’ve ever seen like this.it’s just odd,a certain amount of the people just say crazy unrealistic shit about the lead singer.
Everyone, and I mean everyone that listens to rock and roll knows Jagger is the face of the Stones and he runs the show- except here.
I recently read an article about Carl Denson and he said he played a solo too long and got “ called to the boss’s office for that one”- he was talking about Mick

The Steel Wheels tour started in Philly at Veterans Stadium.they played 2 nights to 110,000 people.

There's nothing wrong with preferring Keith's albums to Mick's, but the anti-Mick Peter Pan nonsense is just people parroting what Keith used to say in the press. It should be noted that, to some extent, Keith was just listening to Jane. That's perfectly fine, of course, since she was paid to rehabilitate Keith's public persona so he could get the best solo deal or, years later, sell as many copies possible of his book. That's why her role exists. However, for Stones fans to identify with Keith's image wasn't always the best choice and to repeat what used to be Keith's public pronouncements is a bit like self-loathing. The Winos were not The Stones. Great as WANDERING SPIRIT may be, it's not The Stones. It's also true that The Stones were more than just Mick and Keith, crucial as they are. That is all that is left, true, but that's what the final years are all about, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-14 19:40 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2023 20:46

caschimann
Mathijs
Dan
Doxa
Mathijs
I think the emphasis on how great Mick is as a businessman is hugely overblown. For the Stones the market is huge, there's only a few promotors that can do these big tours, so negotiating a good deal isn't all that difficult. Mick found out himself that a sell-to market is more important than being a good businessman -he wasn't able to get his solo 1988 Euro or US tour financed, he wasn't able to tour after Wandering Spirit because he couldn't get it financed.

And for Keith: he is equally important to Mick in making decisions. He is not the drugged-out bozo and never was. All decisions concerning the business aspects of the Stones are taken by Mick and Keith, and to some extent Charlie.

Mathijs

I never heard about that Wandering Spirit tour thing. Is this just an educated guess or are there actually some firm sources behind the claim?

- Doxa

Considering the Voodoo Lounge recording and touring cycle was already on the calendar before Wandering Spirit came out, I also highly doubt it.

Also not sure where he gets "getting the tour financed" from as no Mick Jagger solo tour would require the expense and effort behind a Stones tour. Modest self or record company start ups against advances from promoters like any other arena tour of the time. I am sure Mick could have toured the US in 1988 if he wished though the sizes of venues and guarantees he would expect were probably quite different than promoters were willing to offer.

Mathijs

When I see a post talking about "Jagger" all the times I stop reading it. Its out of this world talking about Mick like he is a stranger or some CEO from some corporation. Can't stand this "Jagger"-nonsense anymore. Do you guys think you sound very cool talking like this? Unbelievable.
No one ever talked here about Watts, or Wood, or Wyman, or Richards all the time.
Never.
But again again we have the "Jagger"-talkers here.

I will skip the Keith as long this lasts here.
Going like:
Richards has birthday 2morrow.
Richards has a new guitar.
Richards was seen in NY.
The solo Richards did in Hang Fire was great.
I saw Richards and his wife in the Hamptons.

How weird does this sound!!

Well how do you expect Mick to get depersonalized by the Keith-ists then?

Maybe they could just refer to him as CEO, or 'the lead singer and occasional harp player'.

Date: July 14, 2023 20:50

Hairball

I totally would have went to that...would have been fabulous. Only thing I would have been worried about would be that he'd have prefer to do it on his own from that point to avoid having to deal with Keith.

It all works out in the end, that's all that matters.

Date: July 14, 2023 20:53

Rocky Dijon
lem motlow

There's nothing wrong with preferring Keith's albums to Mick's, but the anti-Mick Peter Pan nonsense is just people parroting what Keith used to say in the press. It should be noted that, to some extent, Keith was just listening to Jane. That's perfectly fine, of course, since she was paid to rehabilitate Keith's public persona so he could get the best solo deal or, years later, sell as many copies possible of his book. That's why her role exists. However, for Stones fans to identify with Keith's image wasn't always the best choice and to repeat what used to be Keith's public pronouncements is a bit like self-loathing. The Winos were not The Stones. Great as WANDERING SPIRIT may be, it's not The Stones. It's also true that The Stones were more than just Mick and Keith, crucial as they are. That is all that is left, true, but that's what the final years are all about, of course.

Keith's always been jealous of Mick and that's why you see his behaviour the way you have. I don't understand though fans regularly taking the piss out of the lead singer of their favourite band. There's no question if it wasn't for MJ, this band wouldn't be hear 60+ years on.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2023 22:03

treaclefingers
Keith's always been jealous of Mick and that's why you see his behaviour the way you have.

And if you look back on the year 88 you will notice that Jagger’s tour ended in the green while Keiths solo tour cost him money. Yeah Keith admitted so in a very revealing interview with Laurent Chalumeau around 90.

When around 95 Keith confessed that touring solo earnt him a renewed respect for Mick in terms of what it means to be a singer on a stage, material considerations probably played a part in that renewed respect.
Translation : Keith suddenly noticed only Jagger and his know-how could turn a tour into a media success and a very profitable venture.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: July 14, 2023 22:11

Mick vs Keith or Paul vs John ?

Ray vs Dave !!!

Date: July 14, 2023 22:47

Dan
georgie48
Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

smileys with beer

Actually in the pre Napster era, record companies did provide tour support. Money for the artists to on tour, recoupable against future royalties. Not sure how this translated to arena level headliners but it was very common for opening acts in arenas or club level tours to have their way paid by the record company.

You are right there Dan. But like you said, “recoupable against future royalties”.
Acts like the Stones have huge record contract deals and have to “help” their record company to make money from the albums, so tours are/were there to boost record sales.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 15, 2023 09:09

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon
lem motlow

Keith's always been jealous of Mick and that's why you see his behaviour the way you have. I don't understand though fans regularly taking the piss out of the lead singer of their favourite band. There's no question if it wasn't for MJ, this band wouldn't be hear 60+ years on.

Yesss! Happy to read that! I‘m not allone - you and many others are there!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 15, 2023 09:23

In all honesty,and be real in your answers here-

If Mick said Fck U , I’m done with Keith and they paid him 10 million to go away and the Steel Wheels line up was -

Mick Jagger
Ron Wood
Mick Taylor
Bill Wyman
Charlie Watts

Do they sell one less ticket?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 15, 2023 10:39

In all honesty, where would these 10 million come from before the Steel Wheels tour?

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 15, 2023 11:31

Jbeckerfan
Rocky Dijon
[www.rollingstone.com]

The world is so much more than North America

Date: July 15, 2023 12:39

lem motlow

If Mick said Fck U , I’m done with Keith and they paid him 10 million to go away and the Steel Wheels line up was -

Mick Jagger
Ron Wood
Mick Taylor
Bill Wyman
Charlie Watts

This is very hypothetical, because there would be no way to sell out Keith to start with.
Would they sell less tickets? Yes and no. There are many diehard Stones-Keith fans, who would be very p*ssed off, but ... there are also still many Stones-Taylor fans, who would have been happy to see him back in the line-up.

Don't forget, Keith had much more support during his live solo tour than Mick J. in the 80s. So again, yes and nocool smiley

smileys with beer

Date: July 15, 2023 16:37

lem motlow

Mick Jagger
Ron Wood
Mick Taylor
Bill Wyman
Charlie Watts

Absolutely. Keith wouldn't have gone, so one less.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home