Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Cormac McCarthy
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 14, 2023 14:33

RIP to a legendary American writer, Cormac McCarthy, author of such works as “All the Pretty Horses” and “No Country for Old Men”. His lesser-known “Suttree” is my favorite book of all time - a work of dazzlingly-poetic prose, so dark and so beautiful.

Any McCarthy appreciators on IORR?

[www.npr.org]

Drew

Re: OT: RIP Cormac McCarthy
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 14, 2023 14:57

RIP

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: June 14, 2023 15:51

Definitely sounds interesting:

Suttree Wikipedia

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: June 14, 2023 17:03

I started reading Outer Dark 2 months ago and finished it today, the day I heard about his death... What a book. McCarthy's writing is so strong and moving. I'll sure read more of them. Suttree maybe, Blood Meridian is also said to be very good.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 14, 2023 21:45

The Border trilogy is amazing.
One of my favorites.

RIP

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 14, 2023 23:34

Nice to see love for McCarthy on this site. Never underestimate the good tastes of Rolling Stones fans!!

Guezeg, if you’d liked Outer Dark, I think you’ll love Suttree. It’s like Outer Dark on steroids! smileys with beer

Drew

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 15, 2023 02:55

I haven’t read any of his books. I only saw two films based on his novels, No Country For Old Men and The Road.

Some fifteen years ago, I read an Eric Clapton interview in a Japanese lifestyle/fashion magazine. It was taken at his home in London. While Clapton was showing the interviewer around the house, the visitor spotted a half-finished book on the desk in the library. It was a novel by McCarthy and Clapton told him that he was a fan. Can’t remember the title of the book, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-15 11:55 by RisingStone.

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: June 15, 2023 23:07

Thanks for the tip!

Posted by: Stoons ()
Date: July 15, 2023 19:30

Dear Drew,

Thank you for this thread. I missed the news of his passing. I bought Suttree few years back and I liked it instantly. Main reason I bought it was that the story was situated in/around Knoxville, the 22nd stop during the best of tours. I just wanted to get a feel about Knoxville. If he had lived and was around in 72, I'm sure Cornelius went to see the Stones. I honored mcCarthy by putting a Stones'quote in Suttree's mouth in my Tourbook(page 189).

Best book by McCarthy for me is Blood Meridian. It's one of the three books to follow me to that desert island.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: July 15, 2023 21:30

Stoons
Dear Drew,

Thank you for this thread. I missed the news of his passing. I bought Suttree few years back and I liked it instantly. Main reason I bought it was that the story was situated in/around Knoxville, the 22nd stop during the best of tours. I just wanted to get a feel about Knoxville. If he had lived and was around in 72, I'm sure Cornelius went to see the Stones. I honored mcCarthy by putting a Stones'quote in Suttree's mouth in my Tourbook(page 189).

Best book by McCarthy for me is Blood Meridian. It's one of the three books to follow me to that desert island.

Another reason to love your book. Best

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 15, 2023 22:42

xke38
Definitely sounds interesting:

Suttree Wikipedia

Indeed! Thanks for the heads-up!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home