Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Happy 75th Steve Winwood Memo from Turner
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 12, 2023 14:46

The teen prodigy of the British Invasion turns 75 today. Probably maintained his chops better than any of his peers...Think I'll spin "John Barleycorn Must Die" tonight.

Re: OT: Happy 75th Steve Winwood Memo from Turner
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 12, 2023 19:42

John Barleycorn Must Die is my favorite Traffic song. Lots of cover versions but the original is still best. My favorite Winwood song is Can't Find My Way Home. Back in the day there were a number of days when I could say that. May he rock on.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 12, 2023 20:04

Love Memo from Turner!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 12, 2023 20:16

Happy 75th birthday to Steve Winwood!

One of the all time greats, and I always look forward to seeing him live when he's out on the road touring.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 12, 2023 20:58

How cool was it that he was in The Grateful Dead too?

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: May 13, 2023 02:02

Awesome ! Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith, a great solo career, and from you read, one of the nicest guys in music. Happy Birthday !

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 13, 2023 02:29

Cannot but agree with you there. As far as I'm concerned, he was the one and only highlight in the recent Coronation Concert here in the UK. There was a short interview with him, too - a lovely guy indeed.

Happy birthday, Stevie Winwood!

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 13, 2023 21:34

He's a teenager here. Find me a teenager in 2023 that sing and play like that...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 21, 2023 15:12

One of the 3 versions of MFT. Stevie plays ALL the instruments here. Remarkable.
The version released for the soundtrack of Performance as Ry cooder on slide, Randy Newman on piano, Gene Parsons(the byrds) on drums, Jeff Scheff(Elvis) on bass; impressive line-up of talented american musicians.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: June 22, 2023 12:12

Steve surely made some great music, with Traffic and as a solo artist.

I always assumed it was him playing the organ on Jumping Jack Flash,
it sounds so much like him.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 28, 2023 15:37

where did this version of Memo From Turner come from?? Ive never heard it before. Love this song.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 28, 2023 16:07

As much as I love Steve Winwood and the Dead he was never a member of the band. Traffic opened for them and they did Dear Mr. Fantasy together but that's about it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 28, 2023 20:38

Hound Dog
As much as I love Steve Winwood and the Dead he was never a member of the band. Traffic opened for them and they did Dear Mr. Fantasy together but that's about it.

NashvilleBlues might have been confusing Steve Winwood with Bruce Hornsby?

While Steve Winwood was never a member of the Grateful Dead, they did share the stage more than once - whether it was just Jerry sitting in with Traffic, or Winwood sitting in with the Dead.

From Jambase: Grateful/Winwood

"In 1994, Winwood and Capaldi (Wood had died in 1983) reunited to reform Traffic. The short reunion lasted the summer while the band opened for the Grateful Dead.
On multiple occasions, Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia sat-in with Traffic during their opening set on the Dead cover staple “Dear Mr. Fantasy.”

Garcia’s sit-ins in the summer of ‘94 were not the only times Winwood shared the stage with the late, legendary guitarist. Back in November 1970,
Winwood sat-in with the Grateful Dead at The Fillmore in New York City. Traffic was in town to play The Fillmore on November 18 and 19, 1970".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home