Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What was the last Music Vinyl Album or CD you bought ?
Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: May 6, 2023 01:07

Just received from amazon in CD:

The Swell Season - Strict Joy
Rodney Crowell - Fate Right Hand
John Lee Hooker - Eight Classic Albums (4 Cds)
Steve Marriott Packet Of Three - The Final performance live 1991

Bye
Fernando

Re: What was the last Album or CD you bought ?
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 6, 2023 01:54

Doxa
Funny though, let me be a bit controversial, the idea of 'buying stuff' starts to belong to yesteryear. Once there was a point to build one's bibliotetica to get the hear the stuff one wants to hear. Not any longer. I once collected all those rare albums to hear some blues songs by legendaric artists, but now all that stuff is one click away. And more if I please: things I never thought I could be ever to hear.

I never thought 'buying stuff' means more than having access to the material in hand. Now one does need not that. It's all about music and listening that. Good. No need to 'own' anything. Finally. Music is not a materialistic thing.

- Doxa

However, even when music is not a materialistic thing, there is some relation between music and the medium through which music is distributed to the listener. One could argue that that kind of distribution has effects also on the creation of music. We might reflect on the question how especially the album was influenced by its existence in vinyl originally. Streaming of music one may think contributes somehow to abolish the album as entity. And I do not know, but wonder if the reduction of the earlier album concept has implications for how long bands exist. With thoughts like this I probably exaggerate such effects. Probably it is more about tendencies.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 6, 2023 06:49

Doxa
Funny though, let me be a bit controversial, the idea of 'buying stuff' starts to belong to yesteryear. Once there was a point to build one's bibliotetica to get the hear the stuff one wants to hear. Not any longer. I once collected all those rare albums to hear some blues songs by legendaric artists, but now all that stuff is one click away. And more if I please: things I never thought I could be ever to hear.

I never thought 'buying stuff' means more than having access to the material in hand. Now one does need not that. It's all about music and listening that. Good. No need to 'own' anything. Finally. Music is not a materialistic thing.

- Doxa

I don't feel like I own anything if I can't touch it.

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: May 6, 2023 06:54

I like playing cds and LPS because it keeps me off my phone and off the net.

Just got Jimmy Reed, Live at Carnegie Hall on cd. Second time. First disk broke.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 6, 2023 06:58

Doxa

- Doxa

but as a wise man once said, old habits die hard.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 6, 2023 10:40

Doxa
... Music is not a materialistic thing.

- Doxa

Tell that to Ticketmaster grinning smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 6, 2023 19:27

About Doxa's interesting and controversial argument

I think Kovach and Travellinman say 2 words that are connected and I can completely relate to: that is "touch" and pause from phone and the net

the so called "return of the vinyl" is actually mostly a niche trend fueled by nostalgia and costly so but Witness is right imo when he connects the medium to the message, so to speak

the idea of music being "cloudly" or "non materially" available has some really good effect but also some risky illusions attached to and the controversies on streaming and app services has been out for some time now both on the side of the artists and the listeners/users. And that are harshly materialistic controversies

I do listen to liquid music but mostly I like to touch the thing on which the music is grooved on, own that thing more than have the content on loan, and have a break time from the phone and the net

I make regular visits to flea market and local record fairs around my area which are quite a few on a monthly base. don't usually buy new releases of old stuff and find great stuff for 5/10/15 euros

the latest being Cowboy Junkies' first Whites Off Earth Now, Siouxisie's Tinderbox, Al Green's Green is blue, Aaron Neville's Warm your heart and Belafonte's Mark Twain and other folk favorites

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-06 19:30 by maumau.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: May 7, 2023 12:23

Picked up today fron Vinyl Villains, Edinburgh.

Alexis Korner and Friends.CD.
Live From The London Marquee Club London 1983.

[www.discogs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-07 12:46 by Tonstone.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home