Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: "The Stones and Brian Jones" documentary - BBC Two May 15
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 16, 2023 18:45

I enjoyed this movie “The Stones and Brian Jones” and the formative days of The Stones will probably reach a younger generation after seeing the film

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 18, 2023 09:49

For those that have it on BBC iPlayer - Does anyone know the artist/ name of the song playing at 28:10 just after the live clip of Pain in my heart? Thanks

I thought the documentary was a bit patchy and all over the place - expected more from Nick Broomfield. But still found it very moving and sad.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 18, 2023 11:11

His Majesty
I found it to be a bit of a hit piece on Brian's parents which was depressing. It seemed to lose a bit of steam mid way through as it lingered for too long about his love life.

The Hendrix recording they played, 'Little One', doesn't feature Brian, but Dave Mason playing sitar. There were other clunkers, like they state Brian's parents never went to a Stones concert. That is absolutely untrue! They show the wrong house on Hatherley Road. Left handed Stones in September 1966 etc.

Loved the brief, footage of Brian in school era. The fuller interview clip from Shivaree re song writing was a lot less awkward than the sneakily edited version used in 'My Life as a Rolling Stone'. Good ol' Bill doing his bit to point out Brian's playing. The brief excerpt of the Jones/Aldred song was interesting. Loved the 'new' Brian and Anita pics.

It's left me with an uneasy feeling though. The occasional use of, I think AI recreated, Brian voice made some of it feel dubious and Brian's fathers deeply emotional and personal letter to Brian being read out bothers me.

The voice was Freddie Fox. It was in the credits at the beginning.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: May 18, 2023 11:42

O dear, precisely what i feared. All already known stuff, Bill Wyman pretending to not disclose an outtake of Jones and Hendrix (out there at least 40 years or so) and a stupid jam of Jones tha's utter shite.
Playing the Kurhaus show with Carol as a soundtrack...oh my.
Absolute rubbish. Some unseen footage of Brian in his youth. That's the only positive.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 18, 2023 12:09

Spud
I may watch it with the sound off...just for any interesting footage and photos

...cos I'm fairly sure that what we hear will be the usual mix ofsemi-fabricated b*llocks and distorted recollections.

Well, I did watch it [with the sound on winking smiley] and was pleasantly surprised .

Nothing sensationalised , just a portrait of a guy , like the rest of us, with faults and virtues. A balanced and interesting watch on the whole.

Some folks best remember the faults, and others the virtues.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: May 18, 2023 13:47

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 18, 2023 15:57

rebelrebel

The voice was Freddie Fox. It was in the credits at the beginning.

Ah, yeah. thumbs up

Weird to word it was a 'recreation', this is what made me still wonder if AI was involved. Could just have said 'Brian letters narrated by...'.

I'm not convinced that voice recording at start is Brian, but that perhaps they've, for what ever reason, made Freddie sound ye olde and lo-fi.. and at silly higher pitch.

They've been a bit dubious with licensing, or make that, not licensing photos etc for the documentary. The story behind the letter from his father is untrue also. All these little things place doubt in the the ol' mind.

Even my crappy phone pics of photos in a book are in it, not the actual original photos themselves. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-18 16:02 by His Majesty.

Date: May 18, 2023 16:24

It was enjoyable, but also quite scrappy, and I agree that little if anything appears to have been licensed, with quite a bit of the footage looking like it was pulled off a 10th generation VHS cassette. The focus on his love life is probably due to the fact that there is not very much interview material otherwise. Fairly cavilier use of the same footage with different music set to it. Back in the day this would have been deemed too scrappy to be worthy of broadcast, especially under the Arena banner - it did feel more like one of those unauthorised, unlicensed You Tube docos, which can be good in their way!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 19, 2023 02:11

Spud

And some of us remember both.

Date: May 19, 2023 10:59

24FPS
Spud

Yep...and that's the balanced view that some folks would be well advised to adopt with regard to many things grinning smiley

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: May 20, 2023 23:11

24FPS
Spud

Yes, and those of us who lived through these events would appreciate a few new things in this documentary but otherwise it’s just a rehash and not a very good one.
Otherwise it will be an insight into the early years for the few who are interested. From looking at other threads here it seems to me that there is little interest in the early history of the band, perhaps because what is played these days bears little resemblance to the songs they played back then. From what I see on here the interest seems to be in more recent concerts in impeccable sound and free of charge, thanks Stonesvault. I hope that the guys who own the rare stuff from the early days don’t have them for an investment because the number of people who might buy those items is diminishing.

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: May 31, 2023 23:00

Any way of watching this in Canada ?
I’ve tried various ways of getting BBC iPlayer but just can’t figure it out.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 5, 2023 00:52

DandelionPowderman
georgie48
I don’t expect much from the documentary. Just look at the “movie” they made about Freddy Mercury … Those document makers don’t take risks.
About Brian … after having read so many books about him (personally I still find Trinka’s book the best) and all those interviews with both band members and others to me Brian is an open book. I am iternally greatful for his passion and devotion that started The Rolling Stones, but also disappointed about how he eventually f*cked up his life. So many artists have everything to complete a great life but still manage to destroy themselves. Shame, shame, shame.

Haven't seen «The Final Act». Was it that bad?

It was entertaining for sure, but not more than that.
Meanwhile I saw the documetary about Jones and the Stones and found that about 95% of what was said "we" all knew already, but I was pleasantly surprised by quite some images/film bits I had never seen before.
I missed (to Paul winking smiley) the B&W interviews of Frank Thorogood and Anna Wohlin, that I saw on Dutch TV on July 4th 1969, the day after Brian died. Never mind, they are printed in my memory.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: June 6, 2023 10:46

There was never going to be much in it that was "breaking news" to the majority of we around these parts..

...but was it a good representation of Brian for the less knowledgeable or casual viewer to gain a decent balanced impression of the man ?

I think it was .

Neither a whitewash nor a damnation.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home