Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Whiskey Myers
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 21, 2023 21:37

Anyone a fan of them? I was looking for some new modern Southern Rock, and went thru Blackberry Smoke, who I admit had a couple of decent albums, but overall, left me underwhelmed. Then I stumbled upon these guys, and I must say, I think they're friggin' awesome!!!! I noticed they opened for our boys in '19 while doing a search on here.

Re: OT: Whiskey Myers
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 22, 2023 07:54

AH, my boys.the records are really good but go see them live,definitely one of the best bands out there.
They opened for the Stones a couple of years ago but no one knew them or the songs so they didn’t get much reaction.
I wasn’t there but I was asking around how they did,for a new band in a stadium opening for the Stones is tough.
They play 3-5000 seaters and in their element with their crowd you’d be hard pressed to find a better live band.

Date: March 22, 2023 14:20

Thanks Lem. I'll definitely have to check them out live, though it doesn't look like they're coming too close to me this tour. And from them I got exposed to one, Tyler Childers, more of a country/folk/bluegrassy type singer. Really digging him as well. He's going to be at Willie's 90th BDay Bash it seems.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 22, 2023 14:48

Blackberry Smoke also puts on great live shows! Check out the cd & DVD for Leave A Scar Live.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 22, 2023 18:34

The guys in Whiskey Myers came down to my record shop when they were playing the Neptune Theatre above me. Super nice people. They had just opened for the Stones in Chicago a couple of days before, and still had the glow from the experience.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2023 18:55

Saw them open for the Stones...wasn't too impressed.

Date: March 23, 2023 08:46

VoodooLounge13
Thanks Lem. I'll definitely have to check them out live, though it doesn't look like they're coming too close to me this tour. And from them I got exposed to one, Tyler Childers, more of a country/folk/bluegrassy type singer. Really digging him as well. He's going to be at Willie's 90th BDay Bash it seems.

What you’ve done is stumbled upon REAL country music.these guys don’t get played on the radio, they don’t appear on the award shows and they don’t sing about beer and pickup trucks.(I’m assuming you’ve heard Whitehouse Road)
Tyler, Cody Jinks, Jamey Johnson, Whiskey Meyers, Sturgill Simpson, Drive by truckers, I’m sure I’m forgetting a few.it’s modern day outlaw country.
Chris Stapleton was the leader of that pack forever,he was in a band called ..,Iron something, I can’t remember.
Anyway Tyler is great live,he brings out a lot of good looking women to his shows,same with Whiskey Meyers.and a frogman=early name for Navy Seals.ha ha

Date: March 26, 2023 04:39

I must admit, lem, I got into country in the 90's. Was a huge Garth fan back then, and Shania (my God how good does she still look?!?!?!), but my favorite was, and still is, Alan Jackson. Probably not as country as any of those you mention. I've never been a big Willie fan - his voice annoys me. Like Johnny Cash, particularly all his later American Recording stuff. I really dug a lot of those 90's artists - Tracy Lawrence, John Michael Montgomery, early Toby Keith (before he got too political), Joe Diffie, Montgomery Gentry, Brooks & Dunn, Tim McGraw, Martina McBride, Deanna Carter, Sara Evans, Mindy McCready.

The genre evolved, and I still enjoyed some - Big & Rich I thought were great, Lady A early on, Little Big Town, Danni Leigh, Alison Krauss. But I admit, the twang was gone, and really, it's the twang that I loved most. I'm not always in a country mood, but when I am, I want it COUNTRY. Steel guitar, fiddle, hill-billy-ish if you will, and really, for me, country had become an extension of rock without the twang.

I do enjoy Chris Stapleton, and also Luke Combs, whose Hurricane took me by surprise the summer of '17. Was lucky enough to saw him open for Brantley Gilbert I think it was? that year.

But yes, Whiskey Myers and Tyler Childers remind me of a by-gone era. For the record, I also really love the Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. Play that one a lot. But then I can also spend the afternoon listening to all the old songs from the Civil War times if the mood strikes me right. I just love that old Americana stuff. Probably why I love Bruce's Seeger Sessions so much as well.

Oh, and I've never heard of Whitehouse Road. Will have to check them out. With about 3 weeks to go, I have to drown myself in the Chili Peppers for the foreseeable future, and really get to know the new stuff.

Date: March 26, 2023 07:32

Those are good artists you named there voodoo, you’re on the right track.You’ve heard Whitehouse Road, it’s the song where Tyler sings “we’ve been sniffin that cocaine, ain’t nothin better when the wind cuts cold.”

Date: March 26, 2023 08:38

I really love the Whiskey Myers show posters too. Lots of attention to detail and originality in those! And they sell out almost instantly. Had one of the Phoenix ones in my cart the other day on its release, but I’m in the process of hopefully buying a house and cannot spend anything unnecessary anymore. Though I do think it woulda looked great in my Adirondack cabin!!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2023 09:02

In that case Vodooo what about a
Cocaine Bear poster in your bedroom ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 26, 2023 13:39

Javadave
The guys in Whiskey Myers came down to my record shop when they were playing the Neptune Theatre above me. Super nice people. They had just opened for the Stones in Chicago a couple of days before, and still had the glow from the experience.

Glad to see there's a record store still in that space. I don't get to that part of town often these days. smileys with beer

Date: March 27, 2023 08:00

Rockman
In that case Vodooo what about a
Cocaine Bear poster in your bedroom ....

Haven’t seen that movie yet, Rock. It’s on my list. Gotta get my Lego Tongue first for the walls.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home