Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Weakest track on Aftermath US version?
Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: December 1, 2005 04:12

Think People? No really "Think" for Me. And You? James

Re: Weakest track on Aftermath US version?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 1, 2005 08:27

The long one.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: December 1, 2005 13:03

One of the toughest ones ever asked!
What's weak on the US Aftermath........

I'd say Dontcha Bother. Mick's voice (falsetto in the chorus) and harp are superb, but the song itself might be a bit "rooty", not up to the "novel" level of the rest of the tracks.

But that's to be really nit picking!!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 1, 2005 14:02

Agree with oddbeat; probabaly DFMNM. But that is just if I was pressed to name one. I realize Out of Time is a good song. it is just not my fave.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 1, 2005 14:15

Us version?

I would say Stupid Girl (good guitars but awful chorus)

Uk version?

Stupid Girl again, but mother's little helper is a close second.

One last thing. Lady Jane: great single, but it does not fit in the context of the album. Maybe a little bit more in the more pop-oriented selection of the US version.

C

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 1, 2005 15:23

I'd say there are no weak tracks on Aftermath. To me this album is the first real unquestionable indicator of the potential of the Stones ability to make great albums that was to be more completely realized over the coming decade.

More so than any other album they'd done this wasn't a collection of individual songs, it was an holistic piece of originality that pushed on the frontiers of pop, rock, and the psychedelic sound that was to predominate music in sixties. With Paint it Black as an opening track, it rivals SFTD, BS, and GS as the most incredible opening track you could wish for from the band's extant catalogue. I could go on about every song, but that wasn't the question . . . weakest song?

Perhaps I Am Waiting, but that's almost like saying what's the weakest painting in The Louvre or the Uffici.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: December 1, 2005 15:26

Mona Lisa. weakest painting in the Louvre

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 1, 2005 23:28

"Stupid Girl." Kind of a come-down after the opener, in either version. They put a lot into the arrangement, but there's not much to the song.

In recent years, I've listened to this album way more than I have to any of the "golden 4." It's hard for me to evaluate at this point, but I might propose that it's better than at least a couple of those 4.

cc

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 1, 2005 23:30

there are no weak tracks on Aftermath, but if i had to "sacrifice" one it would be Lady Jane

Date: December 1, 2005 23:54

It's Not Easy

Date: December 2, 2005 00:06

Oh no way man -- "It's Not Easy" is great, if just for the line: "All of the things that you used to do / Well if they're done now, they're done by you." Sums up the theme of the album right there.

cc

Concert i Denmark
Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: December 2, 2005 00:10

Does anyone know the concert site in Denmark?
On the Stones site it says Copenhagen and on the IORR tour guide it says Herning.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 2, 2005 02:03

cc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh no way man -- "It's Not Easy" is great, if just
> for the line: "All of the things that you used to
> do / Well if they're done now, they're done by
> you." Sums up the theme of the album right there.
>
> cc

cc

You're dead on. It's a great track.

. . . You got me running like a cat in a thunder storm . . .

. . . And it's a haaaaard, baby (it's not easy). . . well it's a pretty haaard thang

And Leonard you might be right about LJ.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 2, 2005 02:20

nothing even resembling weak here - with the possible exception of the title track

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-02 02:24 by T&A.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: December 2, 2005 05:35

I'd have to say Lady Jane imo. smiling smiley

Date: December 2, 2005 22:39

Maybe I'm a teenage girl in 1966, but I love "Lady Jane"! One of the best recordings of this period -- it's great when the harpsichord comes in, esp b/c the instruments are slightly out of time with each other!

Plus "Lady Jane" adds some context to the line in "Stupid Girl" about being "like a lady in waiting to a virgin queen." I still think "SG" is one of the weakER tracks, partly that it's just out of its league at the top of the album. I do get a thrill out of the organ tone on the last chord, though.

Otherwise, I'd go with "Think." I like the tune and the huge fuzz bass, but there's something a bit hermans hermits about the song.

By far the worst song from these amazing sessions (remember there's also "19th Nervous," "Long Long While," and "Ride On Baby") is "Sad Day," the b-side to "PIB." That one belonged on Metamorphosis.

cc

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 2, 2005 22:41

i have a buddy who thinks Sad Day is one of their best 60's songs...so go figure

Date: December 2, 2005 22:58

Wow! Well, there's no accounting for taste... I'll bet his other favorite is "Congratulations" (I like that one a lot, actually).

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 2, 2005 23:06

actually - the Stones spell it (incorrectly) Congradulations! (I like that one, too - actually like the Wilbury's song of the same title too)

Date: December 3, 2005 18:34

"Lady Jane" is the weakest. It's in the same tradition as "As tears go by" (which is okay by Marianne Faithfull), "Ruby Tuesday" and "New faces" - they all sound like music for the elevator to me. For the elevator that goes downwards. One "Greensleeves" per millennium is enough. All that stuff sounds like made for the US market and in fact they were only successful there. One word: crap. That's not the Rolling Stones. That's the infamous number two after the Beatles.

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: December 3, 2005 22:25

Lady Jane is a great song. Going Home would be boring at three minutes, at over ten it's completely unlistenable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home