Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT RIP Jim Gordon
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 16, 2023 05:22

[variety.com]

RIP Sad story

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-16 14:02 by More Hot Rocks.

Re: OT RPI Jim Gordon
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 16, 2023 07:53

More Hot Rocks
[variety.com]-

1235555775/Sad story

Interesting piece about him from 1985 in Rolling Stone, shortly after he was convicted of murdering his mother.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-16 10:57 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: March 16, 2023 10:55

RIP Jim

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 16, 2023 11:08

RIP

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 16, 2023 12:21

RIP Jim

Yeah, what a tragedy he life was. So sad.

But damn, he was an exceptional drummer, one of the best of his era. I knew he was involved in many things, but now as I checked his cataloque, didn't even realize how profilic he was back then. He plays on so many of my favourite recordings, such as "Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez and "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon. A kind of Nicky Hopkins on drums.

- Doxa

Re: OT RIP Jim Gordon
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 16, 2023 14:54

One of rock’s most tragic stories. I had heard that Rita Coolidge had written the piano outro for Layla but hadn’t known how she was connected to Clapton.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 16, 2023 19:44

At least today's edition of the obituaries is people I thought were already dead

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 17, 2023 01:12

Very sad and tragic story for him. Obviously, you can't overlook what he eventually did, but @#$%&, I always think of him when blasting Harry Nilsson's Jump Into The Fire or Layla. He did some horrible things but was an incredible drummer. One of the absolute best I'd say. Sad that its tainted but his stuff is legendary.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 17, 2023 10:00

There but for the....

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 17, 2023 19:31

I have a close family member who suffers from schizophrenia, with paranoia, among other serious illness. It's a horrible disease. Very few effective meds exist today, and those that do carry heavy side-effects, leading to sufferers often no complying with treatment and instead 'self medicating'. And that never goes well. Addiction to anything that will muffle all the things going on inside your head, in lieu of proper medications, in common, Medication and support options were even WAY worse in the 60s, 70s, 80s and earlier. Jim's story is very tragic, and was tragic for all those who loved him at one time or another. No one chooses schizophrenia, and few people try to show compassion or understand when they encounter someone with it. People with mental illness are WAY more likely to be the victim of violence, than perpetrate it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 17, 2023 19:44

buffalo7478
I have a close family member who suffers from schizophrenia, with paranoia, among other serious illness. It's a horrible disease. Very few effective meds exist today, and those that do carry heavy side-effects, leading to sufferers often no complying with treatment and instead 'self medicating'. And that never goes well. Addiction to anything that will muffle all the things going on inside your head, in lieu of proper medications, in common, Medication and support options were even WAY worse in the 60s, 70s, 80s and earlier. Jim's story is very tragic, and was tragic for all those who loved him at one time or another. No one chooses schizophrenia, and few people try to show compassion or understand when they encounter someone with it. People with mental illness are WAY more likely to be the victim of violence, than perpetrate it.

Well said. Thank you!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 18, 2023 16:35

Doxa
RIP Jim

Yeah, what a tragedy he life was. So sad.

But damn, he was an exceptional drummer, one of the best of his era. I knew he was involved in many things, but now as I checked his cataloque, didn't even realize how profilic he was back then. He plays on so many of my favourite recordings, such as "Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez and "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon. A kind of Nicky Hopkins on drums.

- Doxa

The Stone Poneys AKA Linda Ronstadt’s Different Drum is one for me, among others.

I hate the way his drumming is recorded on the Layla album, his bona fide and definitive musical statement, though — it sounds like hitting a stack of cardboard to my ears, which detracts from the whole listening experience and spoils this masterpiece.

R.I.P. Jim Gordon the tragic legend

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 18, 2023 19:21

Rest in peace, Jim Gordon

Such an incredible, storied life: fantastic drumming and musicianship, mental illness; and true tragedy all round. A documentary would be fascinating. His story should be widely known.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home