Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Under My Thumb cover by Susanna Hoffs
Posted by: fanch ()
Date: March 10, 2023 14:28

Docteur Stones tell us there is a new cover of Under My Thumb by Susanna Hoffs (ex The Bangles).
[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]
[youtu.be]

Not bad and funny on the lyrics where the "she's ..." become "he's ..." and I think it's not the first cover of umt with this change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-13 12:48 by bv.

Re: Under my thumb new cover
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 11, 2023 01:33

Pretty cool reimagining of the song.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: March 11, 2023 05:51

Have you heard version by Canada’s Streetheart? They are a awesome band still going.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 11, 2023 06:19

babyblue
Have you heard version by Canada’s Streetheart? They are a awesome band still going.

I've never cared for their version ever since it came out! Didn't know they were still around after Kenny Shields passed. I do like their song What Kind of Love is This.
They opened for AC/DC in Van in July 1980, one of the first shows with Brian Johnson. Didn't go to the show, but the review in the Vancouver Sun mentioned Shields staggering around like he was drunk.

Don't really care for Susanna's version either but she is a good singer.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 11, 2023 14:22

I always liked this version:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-11 14:25 by NilsHolgersson.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: March 11, 2023 16:22

Thanks for sharing these links. Susanna's effort is pretty decent and enjoyable, as is both Streetheart's and Tina's versions, but for me the Stones' original recording still rules. Can't top Brian's mirambas playing in it. It is cool though to hear another female perspective on the song.

An additional note: I think my favourite live version of UMT is from Altamont. It sounds eerie and ominous (perhaps knowing what happens at the end of the song adds to the eeriness). But I also enjoy how the chorus uses the "Gotta Get Away" melody. Brilliant and never duplicated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-11 16:22 by sf37.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 11, 2023 17:12

Social Distortion does an excellent version of Under My Thumb also.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 11, 2023 17:53

crholmstrom

I love Social Distortion, but don't really like their version of Under My Thumb. I much prefer this Susanna Hoffs version.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 11, 2023 18:35

DGA35
babyblue

I've never cared for their version ever since it came out! Didn't know they were still around after Kenny Shields passed. I do like their song What Kind of Love is This.
They opened for AC/DC in Van in July 1980, one of the first shows with Brian Johnson. Didn't go to the show, but the review in the Vancouver Sun mentioned Shields staggering around like he was drunk.

Agreed...I think taking this into pop territory the way Hoffs and Streetheart did results in a poorer outcome. It's ok but unmemorable.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 11, 2023 19:14

"I like it, like that"!

Would luv to see Susanna do a duet of this with Mick.

Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 11, 2023 21:10

Its so light floats ta nothing ... zzzzzzzzzzz

ROCKMAN

Date: March 11, 2023 21:12

Rockman
Its so light floats ta nothing ... zzzzzzzzzzz

in the olden days they would say, a bit saccharin.

Date: March 11, 2023 21:20

did you live in the old days ???? ...hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: March 11, 2023 21:39

Rockman
did you live in the old days ???? ...hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

yes...I was teleported to what you know as 'present day'.

That's how I've been able to maintain such an outwardly youthful appearance.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: March 11, 2023 21:52

Solid version by Susanna Hoffs, thanks for sharing it.

Date: March 11, 2023 21:52

Lovin’ an laughin’ is way more fun

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 12, 2023 05:32

LeonidP
crholmstrom

I love Social Distortion, but don't really like their version of Under My Thumb. I much prefer this Susanna Hoffs version.

Love some Social D. too. Easily in my top 10, maybe even top 5. I hate to say it, except for BSG, SD's Stones covers do very little for me. That was painful to type. In my opinion, speeding them up loses their groove. I'd like to hear them do some Stones in a cowpunk-ish style.

Susanna Hoffs my God, yowza!hot smiley She has such a great voice. Not crazy about her version. Her voice is excellent, but I'm not liking the instrumentation for some reason. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-12 05:39 by MingSubu.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 12, 2023 05:37

MingSubu
LeonidP
crholmstrom

Love some Social D. too. Easily in my top 10, maybe even top 5. I hate to say it, except for BSG, SD's Stones covers do very little for me. That was painful to type. In my opinion, speeding them up loses their groove. I'd like to hear them do some Stones in a cowpunk-ish style.

Eggzactly, Social D version actually starts out great, but once they get to the verses, for some reason they speed it up and ruin it!

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: March 12, 2023 10:21

DGA35
babyblue

I always liked their version. I like Shields voice. The new vocalist is ok but not as good as Shields. Streetheart also covered Van Morrison’s Them...Here Comes The Night a awesome version.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 12, 2023 15:53

LeonidP
crholmstrom

The version by SD I really liked is on "Live @ the Roxy". Great live album. UMT really rocks on that record.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2060
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home