Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Pro Tools stuff
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 25, 2023 17:55

Pro Tools seems some how to have change the game of music producing at the start of the century.
Amateur could use its free version for fun, but it also seems it was the weapon of choice for Stones producer Ed Cherney.
So, bottom line, how would you explain it changes the art of making music?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-26 15:44 by bv.

Re: On and off T / Pro Tools stuff
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 25, 2023 18:39

Pro Tools was designed to convert the analog engineer to the world of digital. From its inception it is more of a facilitative tool rather than a creative "music production" tool like FL Studio or Reason—both of which started as sequencers without the ability to record audio. Of course, those programs evolved over the years and many DAWs are capable of the same thing these days. I will say if you want to sit down and make/write music, Logic, Reason, Ableton Live, and FL Studio might offer a streamlined experience for various reasons I can go into if you're interested.

What separates Pro Tools, IMO, (and I will have used it for 20 years this fall and I'm a certified instructor) is its ease of tracking bands and especially editing/mixing. Digital editing is a double edged sword of course. It allows average musicians to be "perfect". Other technologies have done this as well, think pitch correction, sample replacement, etc. I think there is a fine line between imperfection (human) and perfection. One of the things I find hilarious is producers trying to create the perfect drum performance from an actual drummer by replacing the drum hits with samples and pocketing every hit to be perfectly on the grid. At the same time, you have other producers striving to make a drum machine humanized!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 25, 2023 23:09

Would you say we can use Pro Tools for mastering music?

What do you recommend for automated mastering of music? I ask because I'd like to take different tracks from different CDs to create something, such as my version of "Hot Rocks" for example, and want the tracks to sound like they fit together.

I have my favorite version/maters of each song, such as "Hony Tonk Woman" from the Lonon CDs "Hot Rocks 2."

Date: February 26, 2023 15:34

exilestones
Would you say we can use Pro Tools for mastering music?

What do you recommend for automated mastering of music? I ask because I'd like to take different tracks from different CDs to create something, such as my version of "Hot Rocks" for example, and want the tracks to sound like they fit together.

I have my favorite version/maters of each song, such as "Hony Tonk Woman" from the Lonon CDs "Hot Rocks 2."

Absolutely. I use PT with various 3rd party plug-ins for mastering.

I’ve dabbled with LANDR before, mainly to reverse engineer the result in PT because I was curious about the algorithm. I can see why people like it for auto-mastering.

Izotope Ozone is a great program that is pretty streamlined for mastering.

Re: OT: Pro Tools stuff
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 26, 2023 18:42

I’ll be ecstatic when they’re able to make soundboard recordings from audience sources.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: February 26, 2023 18:56

frankotero
I’ll be ecstatic when they’re able to make soundboard recordings from audience sources.

Yes for example from the Kurhaus Scheveningen 1964 recording. grinning smiley

Date: February 26, 2023 18:57

Oh baby, let’s go! smileys with beer

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 28, 2023 15:50

frankotero

Isn't that an IEM recording?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 28, 2023 17:12

Anything beyond holding grinning smileyup the mic and pressing record remains far too complicated for me .

Date: February 28, 2023 20:21

Yes, I'm sure they had IEM in '64.winking smiley

Date: February 28, 2023 23:28

I follow you here Spud, and also thank TravelinMan to share this knowledge in a understandable way.
« One of the things I find hilarious is producers trying to create the perfect drum performance from an actual drummer by replacing the drum hits with samples and pocketing every hit to be perfectly on the grid »
Sounds like it would kill the famous « delayed », « behind the time » Charlie’s drumming.

Date: March 1, 2023 21:30

The Joker
I follow you here Spud, and also thank TravelinMan to share this knowledge in a understandable way.
« One of the things I find hilarious is producers trying to create the perfect drum performance from an actual drummer by replacing the drum hits with samples and pocketing every hit to be perfectly on the grid »
Sounds like it would kill the famous « delayed », « behind the time » Charlie’s drumming.

100%

Tracking a band live to tape is the equivalent to walking the tightrope without a net for most bands and "engineers" these days!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 2, 2023 12:45

TravelinMan
One of the things I find hilarious is producers trying to create the perfect drum performance from an actual drummer by replacing the drum hits with samples and pocketing every hit to be perfectly on the grid.

Rick Beato has a number of videos on that subject, nicely demonstrating the difference.

Date: March 2, 2023 15:21

TravelinMan
The Joker

100%

Tracking a band live to tape is the equivalent to walking the tightrope without a net for most bands and "engineers" these days!

thumbs up

Date: March 2, 2023 15:26

we would have to concede that Pro Tools and similar recording software has enabled a lot of good musicians to get music out there which we wouldn't otherwise have had the opportunity to hear...because they couldn't otherwise have financed it.

..but at the same time it has enabled a lot of laziness and has compromised the quality of much other recorded output.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-02 15:27 by Spud.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 2, 2023 15:49

The Joker

To make every band to sound like Toto? But then again, I guess it does not ask much AI to simulate the wobble a'la Stones...

- Doxa

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: March 2, 2023 18:21

Doxa
The Joker

To make every band to sound like Toto? But then again, I guess it does not ask much AI to simulate the wobble a'la Stones...

- Doxa

Using samples to thicken up drum sounds is not unique to the pro tools era. Drummers, guitarists, vocals etc have often been double tracked to make a thicker or more rounded sound in the mix. Since the widespread introduction of multitrack recording studio trickery has been standard!

Date: March 2, 2023 20:13

Doxa

- Doxa

Smart... I hadn't fancy AI perfectly mimicking the Stones imperfections.
This world gets doomer eye popping smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 2, 2023 20:19

Doxa
The Joker

- Doxa

Toto did not use Pro Tools

Date: March 3, 2023 16:09

mr_c_ox
Doxa
The Joker

- Doxa

Using samples to thicken up drum sounds is not unique to the pro tools era. Drummers, guitarists, vocals etc have often been double tracked to make a thicker or more rounded sound in the mix. Since the widespread introduction of multitrack recording studio trickery has been standard!

I’d argue that recorded music in itself is trickery!

Steely Dan would sing one syllable at a time to get the pitch right, BeeGees used drum loops etc. Pro Tools just made it easier to get from point A to B.

Date: March 3, 2023 17:19

TravelinMan

Steely Dan would sing one syllable at a time to get the pitch right, BeeGees used drum loops etc. Pro Tools just made it easier to get from point A to B.

quite so...multi track recording is always trickery in one sense or another.

Sometimes the trickery is in overt recorded effects and sometimes the trick is in fooling the the listener that he's hearing a live group of musicians playing together in an expertly mic'd room .

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 3, 2023 17:33

TravelinMan
mr_c_ox
Doxa
The Joker

Deleted

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-03 17:34 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: March 3, 2023 19:49

More Hot Rocks
TravelinMan
mr_c_ox
Doxa
The Joker

Deleted

- Doxa

Correct, and in Pro Tools you can edit every semi demi quaver, make Bob Dylan's guitar playing sound like Jeff Beck, so to speak. The listener wouldn't even notice it.

As far as ToTo is concerned I would think that Jeff and Mike Porcaro swinged like hell. Some people either don't hear it or just don't like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-03 19:52 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 6, 2023 17:18

TravelinMan
mr_c_ox
Doxa
The Joker

- Doxa

The multi-master for Bohemian Rhapsody would be in much better shape now as well as then had Queen been able to transfer the multi to PT.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home