Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT: Coronation King Charles
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 6, 2023 19:53

I was thinking the same too...

Date: May 6, 2023 20:05

Stunning ceremony.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 6, 2023 20:28

This lady has waited in a tent in front of the palace from Thursday 28 April to 6 May.
That's nine days camping outside.
Hats off
That beats any waiting to get a ticket for a Stones club show.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 6, 2023 20:59

slewan
with all due respect but the coronation of a king is political per se

Absolutely not. The king has got no political power. It is all ceremonial.

If you want to discuss the politics of republic vs kingdom then feel free to do it outside IORR.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-06 21:09 by bv.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: May 6, 2023 21:17

There's a thin -if not invisible line- between Republic vs Kingdom and politics and their representatives, etc.

Having said that, give the king what belongs to the king. I do believe that the Coronation King Charles issue doesn't belong to the greatest Rolling Stones site in the world.I also do understand that it must be a dilemma for the moderator.

Date: May 6, 2023 21:28

Coronation is entertainment.

The biggest show on earth.

Jagger is a king on his own right since 1964.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 6, 2023 21:32

The Joker
This lady has waited in a tent in front of the palace from Thursday 28 April to 6 May.
Hats off

Almost as dedicated as Springsteen fans!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 6, 2023 21:44

The Joker
Coronation is entertainment.

The biggest show on earth.

Jagger is a king on his own right since 1964.

It certainly is entertainment, and yet, is so much more. For me, personally, it is about the history and significance. I’m not a royalist, particularly, but I do feel a sense of national pride.

This has been a great thread thumbs up

Date: May 6, 2023 21:51

The Joker
Hats off

Tents off.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 6, 2023 21:55

Interesting that Camilla was now "proclaimed" as Queen and also crowned.

Charles' father was just a Prince (Philip, Duke of Edinburgh) as the husband of Queen Elizabeth II.

In Wikipedia there's an explanation:

"For the spouses, the following inequality arises: The wife of a male head of state may use the title Queen, this results from tradition. The husband of a female head of state, on the other hand, may not call himself King, but must make do with the designation Prince Consort or Prince. Otherwise, the false impression could arise that this spouse is King in the sense of the Constitution."

(Remark about "proclamation" [in Latin proclamare ]: to make public by announcement, is an official declaration issued by a person of authority.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-07 10:40 by Irix.

Date: May 6, 2023 21:55

Topi
The Joker
Hats off

Almost as dedicated as Springsteen fans!

I trust your word, but I have a doubt. Are Springsteen's club shows announced 10 days ahead the event? Because, for the Stones, it's like one day before only.

Date: May 6, 2023 22:19

That was partially a tongue-in-cheek comment, but on the European leg of Springsteen's tour this year, the first fans in Barcelona and Dublin were in line for about a week. Yes, really.

Not to get tickets. To get in first. Into a stadium show, mind you, for which they already had front-of-stage tickets.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-06 22:21 by Topi.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 6, 2023 22:34

They both looked uncomfortable, I thought, not very regal.

Date: May 6, 2023 22:35

Irix
Interesting that Camilla was now proclaimed as Queen and also crowned.

Charles' father was just a Prince (Philip, Duke of Edinburgh) as the husband of Queen Elizabeth II.

That's just how the royals roll! The wife of the King automatically becomes Queen. She wasn't actually proclaimed Queen, though, because she's not the sovereign.

[news.sky.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-06 22:42 by Topi.

Date: May 6, 2023 23:00

Topi

The wife of a king automatically becomes queen.

Seems so. In Spain is the wife of King Felipe VI the Queen Letizia, in Sweden is the wife of King Carl XVI Gustaf the Queen Silvia, in Norway is the wife of King Harald V the Queen Sonja, in Belgium is the wife of King Philippe the Queen Mathilde and in the Netherlands is the wife of King Willem-Alexander the Queen Máxima. In Japan it's Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-07 01:25 by Irix.

Date: May 6, 2023 23:05

Topi

She wasn't actually proclaimed Queen, though, because she's not the sovereign.

According to press reports, at least her status title was changed (by King Charles III) on April 4th, 2023 from 'Queen Consort' to 'Queen Camilla'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-07 10:35 by Irix.

Date: May 7, 2023 00:22

Topi

The wife of a king automatically becomes queen.

What about Diana, the late mother of Charles' sons? Cattle ? tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 7, 2023 00:45

DonParker

What about Diana, the late mother of Charles' sons?

Diana is no longer alive (but she lives in the hearts of her admirers), their marriage was divorced in 1996 and the title 'Queen' is only officially used after the coronation - [www.TheGuardian.com] .

But Diana said in 1995 that: "[She would] like to be a queen of people's hearts, in people's hearts" - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-07 14:00 by Irix.

Date: May 7, 2023 01:00

Irix
DonParker

What about Diana, the late mother of Charles' sons? Cattle? tongue sticking out smiley

Diana is no longer alive (but she lives in the hearts of her admirers) - and the title Queen is only used publicly after the coronation.

I'm not an outspoken admirer of Diana, but this circus today beats Monty Python's
flying circus. Gimme a break.winking smiley

Date: May 7, 2023 07:25

Irix
Topi

She wasn't actually proclaimed Queen, though, because she's not the sovereign.

According to press reports, at least her status was changed (by King Charles III) on April 4th, 2023 from 'Queen Consort' to 'Queen Camilla'.

Because she's not the reigning monarch herself, she's not a "queen regnant" but a "queen consort" (the wife of a reigning king). But yes, she will use the title [Her Majesty The] Queen from now on.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Her status didn't change.

Now, proclamation (to the throne) is a completely another thing. Charles, of course, was proclaimed King after the death of Queen Elizabeth.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-07 07:48 by Topi.

Date: May 7, 2023 07:51

Here's a list of the titles and honors of Queen Camilla: [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: pichenot ()
Date: May 7, 2023 11:27

Charles III is a king without power.
Emmanuel Macron (guest) who THINK he is a king but with power.

Date: May 7, 2023 11:40

Sunday 7 May 2023 / Windsor
The Coronation Concert

Katy Perry, Lionel Richie and Take That are among the stars who will take to the stage for the Coronation concert later.

Nicole Scherzinger, Olly Murs, Paloma Faith and Andrea Bocelli will also perform at the event at Windsor Castle.

Hugh Bonneville will host the concert, which is being held to celebrate the Coronation of King Charles on Saturday.

The show will be attended by 20,000 members of the public and air on BBC One and BBC Radio 2 from 20:00 BST.

Coronation concert: Katy Perry and Take That gear up to perform (BBC)

The Coronation Concert (Ticketmaster UK)

Bjornulf

Date: May 7, 2023 13:12

But hey, now we got something to setlist watch!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 7, 2023 13:17

The UK has produced so many great bands and solo artists. I am therefore baffled as to why someone thought it a good idea not to have UK or Commonwealth artists headlining an event like the Coronation Concert. Makes no sense, unless they were all asked and declined the invitation, which I somehow doubt.

Date: May 7, 2023 13:30

Offening posts will be deleted.

Bjornulf

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 7, 2023 13:37

Beast
The UK has produced so many great bands and solo artists. I am therefore baffled as to why someone thought it a good idea not to have UK or Commonwealth artists headlining an event like the Coronation Concert. Makes no sense, unless they were all asked and declined the invitation, which I somehow doubt.

I suspect that a fair number were asked but politely declined ...

Anti-monarchy sentiment in the UK is on the rise, unquestionably. Maybe it's got something to do with that ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 7, 2023 13:39

Interesting that Nick Cave was part of the Australian delegation for the ceremony but didn't perform.

Date: May 7, 2023 14:32

He didn't cave in.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 7, 2023 15:05

crholmstrom
Interesting that Nick Cave was part of the Australian delegation for the ceremony but didn't perform.

If he were to perform, it’d be at today’s party at Windsor Castle. The Coronation was an official, highly historical affair, with the Church of England at it’s core. It was no occasion for an Australian pop-musician. I’m regarding to ‘why’ he was in attendance: it could be charity-work, I suppose. He is resident in the U.K. Apparently, although not a ‘monarchist’ - such an overused term! - he was a firm admirer of the late, great, Elizabeth II.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home