Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Richard Houghton's Book On The Stones 1972 Tour
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 8, 2022 22:21

" All Down The Line-A People's History of the Rolling Stones' 1972 North American Tour" has been published! Richard is a prolific British writer who I found out about HERE, on TELL ME awhile back and that's why I'm telling everyone about it today. I replied to his post requesting submissions for this publication and because I have quite a story about a show that I attended from this 1972 Tour, I wrote my story, submitted it & he replied saying my story was selected for publication! ( along with 299 other Stones fans who also attended shows from 1972!) Are you one of those selected to be a part of this great new book? I have a few more details to share with everyone but I'll submit the additional info when I receive it from Richard. Because this 1972 tour happens to be my FAVORITE TOUR along with the 1975 tour, I'm very excited about this book and I thought it a worthy topic to share with all of you. Stay tuned!
Ok, this just in! In All Down The Line – A People’s History of the Rolling Stones 1972 North American Tour, over 300 fans look back 50 years at the most infamous tour in rock ‘n’ roll history. Below is copy written by Richard.

1972 saw the Rolling Stones performing on American soil for the first time since the stabbing of a fan by Hell’s Angels at Altamont three years earlier. The Beatles having split up – and with Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison all dead – in 1972 the Stones embodied what was left of Sixties counter culture. The United States was coming to terms with 1970’s Kent State massacre and grappling with the Vietnam War, the draft and the civil rights movement. So it was that the Stones played 51 shows in 32 cities in 54 days to promote their new album, Exile on Main St.

With a groundbreaking new stage show and a hit-filled setlist, demand for tickets was high and the tour a sell-out. But the Stones and their fans found themselves going head-to-head with the authorities from the outset. Concerts were marked by crowd riots in the clamour for tickets and there were drug busts and tear gassings as a result of over-zealous cops. And in Rhode Island, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wound up in police custody after an altercation with a photographer while miles away in Boston a full house waited expectantly for them to appear on stage.

This book is the story of the 1972 tour as it’s never been told before, with eyewitness accounts from opening night in Vancouver to tour finale (and Mick Jagger’s 29th birthday) at Madison Square Garden.

The book is available from spenwoodbooks.com or (in the US) Barnes & Noble.

[spenwoodbooks.com] I love the cover!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-08 22:53 by mickschix.

Re: Richard Houghton's Book On The Stones 1972 Tour
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 9, 2022 00:36

mickschix
I replied to his post requesting submissions for this publication and because I have quite a story about a show that I attended from this 1972 Tour, I wrote my story, submitted it & he replied saying my story was selected for publication! ( along with 299 other Stones fans who also attended shows from 1972!) Are you one of those selected to be a part of this great new book?

Sounds like quite a clever way to get everyone else to write your book for you, to edit the contents, and to become a prolific author. I hope that each contributor gets 1/300th of the book's royalties.

Gosh darn. Why didn't I think of that!?

Yes. Nice cover.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: December 12, 2022 19:13

mickschix
" All Down The Line-A People's History of the Rolling Stones' 1972 North American Tour" has been published! Richard is a prolific British writer who I found out about HERE, on TELL ME awhile back and that's why I'm telling everyone about it today. I replied to his post requesting submissions for this publication and because I have quite a story about a show that I attended from this 1972 Tour, I wrote my story, submitted it & he replied saying my story was selected for publication! ( along with 299 other Stones fans who also attended shows from 1972!) Are you one of those selected to be a part of this great new book? I have a few more details to share with everyone but I'll submit the additional info when I receive it from Richard. Because this 1972 tour happens to be my FAVORITE TOUR along with the 1975 tour, I'm very excited about this book and I thought it a worthy topic to share with all of you. Stay tuned!
Ok, this just in! In All Down The Line – A People’s History of the Rolling Stones 1972 North American Tour, over 300 fans look back 50 years at the most infamous tour in rock ‘n’ roll history. Below is copy written by Richard.

1972 saw the Rolling Stones performing on American soil for the first time since the stabbing of a fan by Hell’s Angels at Altamont three years earlier. The Beatles having split up – and with Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison all dead – in 1972 the Stones embodied what was left of Sixties counter culture. The United States was coming to terms with 1970’s Kent State massacre and grappling with the Vietnam War, the draft and the civil rights movement. So it was that the Stones played 51 shows in 32 cities in 54 days to promote their new album, Exile on Main St.

With a groundbreaking new stage show and a hit-filled setlist, demand for tickets was high and the tour a sell-out. But the Stones and their fans found themselves going head-to-head with the authorities from the outset. Concerts were marked by crowd riots in the clamour for tickets and there were drug busts and tear gassings as a result of over-zealous cops. And in Rhode Island, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wound up in police custody after an altercation with a photographer while miles away in Boston a full house waited expectantly for them to appear on stage.

This book is the story of the 1972 tour as it’s never been told before, with eyewitness accounts from opening night in Vancouver to tour finale (and Mick Jagger’s 29th birthday) at Madison Square Garden.

The book is available from spenwoodbooks.com or (in the US) Barnes & Noble.

[spenwoodbooks.com] I love the cover!

I really like Houghton’s book about the sixties. It’s a fascinating collection of fan stories. It’s great to hear tales from people who were actually there. Looking forward to the new book too.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: December 13, 2022 18:50

I was too young in '72 but I contributed to Houghton's Queen, Zep and Cream books as well as his forthcoming Faces tome. Yeah, I don't get paid AND I have to buy the damned books but I don't care, it's an enjoyable exercise and it's nice to know it's written down somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-13 18:58 by rbk.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 13, 2022 19:27

I agree, RBK! So, you have seen Queen, Zep & Cream live? Was that the theme of your essays? I'm happy to hear that you participated in Richard's " projects"! And SWEET THINGS, I'm glad that you have enjoyed his book on the 60's...it WAS really well done. I'm sure you'll enjoy the latest book on the Stones 1972 Tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1257
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home