Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Indianapolis, IN 1994-08-10 (from Indiana Rock History)
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 8, 2022 03:45

Stumbled across this site researching something totally different and found a treasure trove of interesting data including payments, attendance, stories but I found this one particularly interesting:

[indianarockhistory.com]

Re: Indianapolis, IN 1994-08-10 (from Indiana Rock History)
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 8, 2022 04:27

That's an half empty stadium - I just couldn't believe it.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 8, 2022 05:44

22000 in a 60000 seat stadium. RCA Dome (Hoosier Dome), Metrodome in Minneapolis and BC Place in Vancouver were all pretty much identical stadiums. Metrodome and RCA are both gone now and BC Place went through a 500 million renovation after the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Stones played Indianapolis in 89 and did 2 shows there to 89000 people so perhaps it was a case of: I've seen them a few years ago so I don't need to see them again. The previous show to Indianapolis 94 was in Birmingham Alabama that drew a bit less than 20000 to 50000 seat Legion Field. New Orleans was also poorly attended with 33000 in the huge Superdome.
Canadian shows drew very well including 3 stadium shows in Toronto, 2 in Montreal, 2 in Edmonton, 1 in Winnipeg and 2 in Vancouver, all pretty much sellouts.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 8, 2022 07:16

Indianapolis is finicky. I grew up there and was still in Indy in the early 80s before leaving for the coast. (Cue Procol Harum). I was so embarrassed because they didn't sell out Market Square Arena for Springsteen in 1982. And it was the last show of the tour, so there was plenty of hype leading up to it.

As for the Stones, they wanted to play Indy in '81, but Disney on Ice already had Market Square booked! So they played Louisville instead, a smaller city. I even bought tickets for a pay per view closed circuit broadcast of the Chicago show in a theater. I'd been to see them in Cleveland in '78 and left with a bad taste. Festival seating in a stadium was mayhem. I thought okay, comfortable seating, good camera angles, great sound. It was cancelled! Not even people in Indianapolis bought tickets.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: August 8, 2022 23:11

I was at that show in Indy in '94, great gig, they did Can't Get Next to You... pretty bummed at the small crowd, but it was a weeknight I do believe.

The Cincinnati show at Riverfront Stadium on 8-30-94 also had a smallish crowd, 34,000 showed up after they filled the place in '89 with 53,000. I was at that gig too...

Glad to see they have since returned to Indy, New Orleans and Buffalo, which drew poorly in '97, another show I was at!! Maybe it's me? Haha

Looking back, seems Cincinnati, Madison and Birmingham may be the only cities where they haven't returned after lower attendances in '94 or '97.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home