Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Honest I do Thoughts - rate - assess
Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: November 24, 2005 05:20

I'm Back! What do you think? I love love this song. I'd love to hear what it'd sound like with todays production - mixing. I give it an A+ 10/10!!!!

Oddly enough one of only handful of tunes did not like better "stripped". I don't get into it nearly as much when did on Stripped Companion. Like the original much much better. Great passionate love song the way one should be song dear i say "masculine". Wait I may be labeling or being sexist or discriminating don't get me going on a tirade rant. Lets leave it alone MEZ James

Re: Honest I do Thoughts - rate - assess
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 24, 2005 07:15

Yeah, that was IMO also the only one on Stripped that was better left alone. My favorite part on the old old version are Charlie's gigantic cymbal crashes. They are not even on the "one". Also soem excellent harmonica. I agree with you JL: I love LOVE this tune!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 24, 2005 10:22

I love the Stones version, but I think the original Jimmy Reed is fantastic.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 24, 2005 10:26

Surprisingly un-good

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 26, 2005 08:23

Yeah, I think it's kind of a boring one actually. Of that style, I like Cry To Me better.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 26, 2005 18:21

Johnny Winter did a killer version of this in this on his White Hot & Blue album.

Posted by: AlwaysStoned ()
Date: November 26, 2005 18:41

I do a weekly community radio show on which I keep coming back to " England's Newest Hitmakers", still one of my top Stones albums. I seem to play Homest I do, both by the Stones and Jimmy Reed. Don't know the Johnny Winter version, I'll have to find a copy. I've always loved Honest I do, right up there with King Bee ( probably the first really out there sexual song, my teenage boy brain every heard.)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 26, 2005 19:19

funny you should mention a Jimmy Reed song in the same breath as a Slim Harpo song - I always think of these two blues guys as very similar in style.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 26, 2005 21:26

I prefer the jimmy reed version. But of course I probably would never have heard it if the stones had not discovered it for me!

I do love the cymbal crashes on the Hitmakers version -- they're so loud!

I don't really think jimmy reed and slim harpo play in similar ways, but they are similar in that both are relatively easy to imitate. I think that's why they - or more especially reed - were so popular. Not as brilliant performers as say, howlin' wolf. Almost anyone can decently cover jimmy reed's tunes - that I guess is the brilliance of them.

cc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home