Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Phil Lesh covered Gimme Shelter
Posted by: stonesctl ()
Date: November 23, 2005 19:06

Saw Phil Lesh and Friends last night...

they covered Gimme Shelter

Chris Robinson was on vocals and I thought he would be able to do it justice... wrong.

Guitar work - not good.

I've not heard very many good Stones covers, and last night was no different.

Re: Phil Lesh covered Gimme Shelter
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 23, 2005 19:31

I'll be seeing them New Year's eve - I'm downloading the show off etree now. I'll be interested in hearing GS - would think Larry and CR could do that justice...the Brown Sugar Phil & Friends earlier in the year was damned good, I thought.

Date: November 23, 2005 19:38

By no means was it bad... definitely got the crowd going.

Robinson looked too tentative on it, unsure of himself - but it was only the 2nd show he played with Phil.

Larry is great on guitar but certainly no Keith or Ron

Enjoy the show... it was really fun, and NYE is always spectacular... hope you get GS so we can compare notes

Date: November 23, 2005 19:39

Robinson has played with Phil on-and-off throughout the year.

Date: November 23, 2005 19:40

oops - I had meant on this leg.

Date: November 23, 2005 19:43

fair enough. I actually caught a couple of the sideman (Sless & Siegel) on New Year's Eve playing with the David Nelson Band last year at a small dive near where I live. Phil took New Year's Eve off - my daughter is friends with his kids and spent the nite there - we later picked her up (New Year's Day) and had some alone time with Phil & Jill - very cool people. His autobio is one of the best of its kind, IMO....

Date: November 23, 2005 19:46

That's cool! The guy I went to the show with last night used to drive a truck for the Dead during late 80s tours. He said Phil was always so kind to him.
It was my 4th Lesh show; I really dig it. Great jams, and I like Larry tons... although Jimmy is a phenomenal player too.

Date: November 23, 2005 19:48

Caught the Dead last summer at the Gorge - Warren Haynes and Jimmy were in the band - and the amazing Derek Trucks joined them for the last 30 minutes - geeetars a-plenty! Seems like no more Dead tours, from what I understand.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 23, 2005 19:49

I am a big Dead fan but have never seen Phil & Friends, although I have heard some of their boots with Trey Anastio. Phil has always come off as the big, goofy friendly guy in the Dead. I'll have to check them out next time they are in the NY area. Does he stick with the same band or is he constantly changing who plays with him. Wouldn't mind seeing him play with some cool guests, is there anyway to know who he will be playing with?

Date: November 23, 2005 19:50

They also did Long Black Veil which almost brought me to tears - Robinson was great on that! Such a good show. For just some good times, and good music at a good price, I'd recommend to any Stones fan to check out Phil and Friends.

Date: November 23, 2005 19:56

Hound Dog - check the websites:

www.phillesh.net
www.philzone.com

he talks about changing of personnel, etc. Campbell is actually going to miss a couple of shows in a couple weeks and John Scofield of all people will be sitting in!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 23, 2005 19:58

Cool, thanks T&A. Its great that the remaining members of the Dead are so eager to perform still. The Dead were one band that really knew how to treat their fans and not sell out. You know Jerry would still be going strong if he were alive today.

Date: November 23, 2005 20:00

Amen

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 24, 2005 05:34

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hound Dog - check the websites:
>
> www.phillesh.net
> www.philzone.com
>
> he talks about changing of personnel, etc.
> Campbell is actually going to miss a couple of
> shows in a couple weeks and John Scofield of all
> people will be sitting in!

Ah ha T&A you are a Dead fan! Damn dirty hippee! Just kidding, I like the Dead myself. Saw them twice, 1990 and 1992. Paltry compared to many who saw hundreds of shows, I know. I'll have to try and catch Phil when he comes to my town next. Him doing Brown Sugar sounds interesting, can you post a copy by any chance?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 24, 2005 06:01

stonesctl Wrote:

>
> I've not heard very many good Stones covers, and
> last night was no different.

Candy Snatchers "Rip This Joint"

Best Stones cover EVER

Not much of a deadhead but would like to hear this one. I really liked his autobiography.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home