Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No More Shows Like This?
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 23, 2005 07:28

Here's the setlist from the Tokyo Budokan (Arena venue) two years ago. Only 19 songs, but wow! Whatever happened to those days???!!

Jumping Jack Flash
You Got Me Rocking
Live With Me
Let It Bleed
No Expectations
Rocks Off
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
Worried About You
Midnight Rambler
Slipping Away
Before They Make Me Run
Start Me Up
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Rock Me Baby
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Honky Tonk Women
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction (encore)

Re: No More Shows Like This?
Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: November 23, 2005 08:21

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the setlist from the Tokyo Budokan (Arena
> venue) two years ago. Only 19 songs, but wow!
> Whatever happened to those days???!!
>
> Jumping Jack Flash
> You Got Me Rocking
> Live With Me
> Let It Bleed
> No Expectations
> Rocks Off
> Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
> Worried About You
> Midnight Rambler
> Slipping Away
> Before They Make Me Run
> Start Me Up
> It's Only Rock'n Roll
> Rock Me Baby
> Can't You Hear Me Knocking
> Honky Tonk Women
> Tumbling Dice
> Brown Sugar
> Satisfaction (encore)
>

Early in this tour when hardly anyone believed it, I went on record as saying the Stones would do over 40 songs by years end... I made several bets on it with various posters, none of whom have paid up... In fact, before years end the Stones will actually be closer to 50 songs by years end!

Right now, I'll also go on record now expecting that the setlists of the U.S. part of the '06 tour will be different by 3 or 4 songs at least, "on average" over the "average setlist" of the '05 gigs.

You're likely to hear more of It Won't Take Long from the new album, also.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-23 08:40 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 23, 2005 18:06

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
> drbryant Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >
> Early in this tour when hardly anyone believed it,
> I went on record as saying the Stones would do
> over 40 songs by years end... I made several bets
> on it with various posters, none of whom have paid
> up... In fact, before years end the Stones will
> actually be closer to 50 songs by years end!
>
>

Those are amazing numbers! ....not! Paltry compared to Licks tour (Gazza - the figures again, please?)

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: November 23, 2005 18:25

Wow it is sort of sad to see they have only done 40 songs so far and most of them are ones they have done pretty regularly the last few years, the exceptions are As Tears Go By, Get Off My Cloud, She's So Cold and the new songs. And these all seem to be the highlights for everyone who writes reviews.

Funny that the songs I mentioned above are live rarities since they were all hits for the band.

Posted by: stonesctl ()
Date: November 23, 2005 18:26

The only setlist so far on this tour that is "lights out" was on nov. 6

perfect b/c you know Satisfaction is the encore and can get out before it's played! also, those first 10 songs are enough for my jaw to drop... considering the rest of the sets this tour.

Jumping Jack Flash
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Live With Me
Tumbling Dice
Oh No Not You Again
Back Of My Hand
Dead Flowers
Midnight Rambler
All Down The Line
Night Time Is The Right Time
--- Introductions
Slipping Away (Keith)
Infamy (Keith)
You Got Me Rocking (front stage)
Wild Horses (front stage)
Get Off Of My Cloud (front stage)
Sympathy For The Devil
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
Satisfaction (encore)

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 23, 2005 18:34

Agreed stonesctl. If the Stones were to pick a winning set list like that then there would be no need to count the number of songs they have done so far. They can just rotate a few each night and keep the structure of the one you posted above.

Only 40 something songs so far is not very good considering that they do 3 new songs a night and a cover song. Especially when last tour they did more songs at three shows in NYC than they have done this entire tour. I thought the band said that changing the set each night keeps them fresh. Well maybe that is why some people who have written reviews on shows say they seemed to have it on autopilot.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 23, 2005 19:10

T&A Wrote:
> BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
> -----
> > drbryant Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > >
> > Early in this tour when hardly anyone
> believed it,
> > I went on record as saying the Stones would
> do
> > over 40 songs by years end... I made several
> bets
> > on it with various posters, none of whom have
> paid
> > up... In fact, before years end the Stones
> will
> > actually be closer to 50 songs by years end!
> >
> >
>
> Those are amazing numbers! ....not! Paltry
> compared to Licks tour (Gazza - the figures again,
> please?)

I think Licks produced 78 songs

To get some perspective. The Stones have played, what, 44 songs on this tour so far? Dylan's plays 4-5 songs a night less than they do, but has already played 39 different songs in the last 3 nights in London. He'll probably reach at least 50 by the time the run is over. In FIVE shows. You can bet your home that the Stones wont have played that many in ALL of their 2005 shows.

I didnt notice anyone at Brixton complaining about him not playing Blowin in the wind or Knockin' on heavens door and didnt exactly see too many fans bitching because on Tuesday night he played three songs he'd never performed before in his entire career.

It CAN be done.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 23, 2005 19:32

what did you think of the new band, Gazza?

Date: November 23, 2005 20:35

better than I thought they would be. Very tight, and all pretty impressive,...

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: November 23, 2005 20:51

It gives me very much the feeling that on this board a lot of Europeans ( by the way I am also one) are always and every time moaning about the set list. This was since I actually became a bit more active on this board.
Once again in 1982 which I really like a lot they changed nearly nothing in Europe. They even skipped two songs after a while and put in Angie for Italy and Switzerland. Wow wonderful.
In 1989 they started to get more varieties in the shows and even played songs nver done before: you remember 2000 Lightyears..?? I thought it was awesome for that tour. In 1994/5 they changed it a bit more. OK they did more changes in the US than in Europe, but at the end they just want to play and leave, which is my oppinion.
BtB was not my favourite at all, but still I would say No Security which brought back some shows in 99 to Europe was pretty different.
Licks tour was outstanding for its variation but even there people ( and I remember it have been always the same ones on this board) were arguing.
We saw 11 shows and had 52 different songs which is outstanding.
This time I finally went in depth to see the boys in the States and it was worth every single dollar every minute every second and every hard earned expensive ticket.
What we received in Hollywood Bowl was more than outstanding it was nearly like a club show and the boys had so much fun. Also Calgary were people nearly did n't stop singing.
And you back in good old Europe are moaning about high ticket prices which are not and set lists which you don't know......
Just for a thought I used to be German, but love went to Switzerland which I am now also a citizen.....
Sometimes I am wondering what you will do with 62 living in pension in Mallorca doing nothing.... and whimmering about the good old times again.
We all should be very, very happy that they still do what they can the best: Rock and roll and that groovy touch of blues

Date: November 23, 2005 21:05

'moaning' is an exaggeration and a tired comeback line,.

We're all Stones fans. We wouldnt be here otherwise. Why do people feel so threatened by honest critique?

Its a discussion board, after all. Would you rather every show was met by unanimous cries of "whoa! great setlist" or "that was the best show ever" by people who dont REALLY believe it to be the case?

Some of us just want the Stones to be the best they can possibly be, even at this stage in their career. They raised the bar on their last tour. Creatively, this tour by comparison sees them coasting and resting on their laurels (inexcusable and frustrating when one considers how terrific their new album is). You dont need to physically be present at a concert to have an opinion on that one way or the other. By the same token, you dont need to be at a show to enjoy a recording of it either - yet no-one gets their opinions torn to shreds by saying POSITIVE things about shows they werent at.

If you think the shows were worth every dollar you spent, in all seriousness, good for you. (the ticket prices werent high? Uh....right) To rubbish the opinions of other people who are also fans who expect the band to aim a bit higher for what theyre charging is a bit unfair.

And actually, I've read lots of varying degrees of criticism (and plaudits) by fans from BOTH Europe and North America regarding these shows. To oversimplify it by claiming its just Europeans who are 'always moaning about the setlist' is nonsensical.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: November 23, 2005 21:12

Take a look at the stats from Bruce Springsteen's Devils & Dust tour which concluded last night in Trenton, New Jersey, which will show you how deep a veteran artist can dig into their entire catalog. You may say since this was a solo tour it is easier for him to rotate songs, but on his last full band tour in 2002-2003, he also performed around 145-150 different songs.

In 74 shows on the tour, he played 140 different full songs. Additionally he played an impromptu short performance at an airport in Iceland on the way back to the US that produced 2 exclusive songs, and 2 shows had partial songs performed, which would bring that total up to 144 different songs.

The final night of the tour included 4 tour premieres, including 1 song not played since 1974 and another that was premiered the previous night, which is an unreleased original song, not played live since 1973.

Here's the song totals from each of his albums:

Greetings: 7 of 9 songs from the album

Wild, Innocent: 3 of 7

Born To Run: 4 of 8

Darkness: 6 of 10

The River: 15 of 20

Nebraska: 10 of 10

Born In The USA: 6 of 12, plus the 2 songs exclusive to Iceland

Live 1975-85: 2 of 7 for new songs

Tunnel Of Love: 12 of 12

Human Touch: 4 of 14

Lucky Town: 7 of 10

Greatest Hits: 1 of 4 new songs

Ghost of Tom Joad: 11 of 12

Tracks: 10 of the 49 newly released songs, plus 5 bsides inlcuded on that box set

18 Tracks: 2 of the 3 new songs

Live In NYC: 1 of the 2 new songs

The Rising: 11 of 15

Essential: 1 of the 4 new songs

Devils: 12 of 12

Add in several unreleased songs, cover songs and a couple other oddities.

Date: November 23, 2005 21:16

140!!!

I see he 'copied' Bob's Link Wray tribute by opening with "Rumble" last night, too!

Another thing I found interesting about this Bruce tour was the fact that he ignored the Born To Run album until the last few weeks, and even then hardly played much off both that and Born In the USA - his two most well known albums. Plus the fact that, in general, the shows were almost entirely devoid of his most well known hits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-23 21:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: eric ()
Date: November 23, 2005 21:17

besides the US no security tour, I think that B2B has really good stadium set lists... This tour without ABB is horrible and non imaginative.

B2B
Sister Morephine
19th nervous breakdown
Memory motel
Crazy momma
gimmie shelter
rambler
last time

these songs with a good B2B record in my opinion made great shows.

Date: November 23, 2005 21:20

youre right Eric. Those songs were all great live and in the case of many of the songs you quoted they were songs that hadnt been played live in many many years or even ever.

Date: November 23, 2005 21:32

Gazza, that's very true. You could argue that because he was playing theaters and 1/2 arenas, that he can take more risks, but it's not the case, when you look at 2002-2003. He was playing stadiums in Europe and pulling out many rarities per show.

You can compare Bruce's catalog to the Stones like this: The Stones golden era lasted until the mid 70s with some popular albums that followed, but mainly albums that fans don't really treasure. Bruce's golden era also covered his first 10-15 years, with poluar albums that followed, but also not so loved by the fans.

In stadiums Bruce will plays a lot of those songs from his first decade, but he likes to challenge his audience, as well as keep his band fresh by pulling out obscure songs.

In a stadium he'll play a song like I Wish I Were Blind from his least liked album Human Touch which would be like the Stones throwing out a song from Dirty Work to challenge their audience.

I did a count in my head last night of how many songs I've seen Bruce play and figured out I've seen 160 released songs, plus probably another 20 or so covers and unreleased original songs.

Date: November 23, 2005 21:37

I Wish I Were Blind is actually one of my favourite two or three Bruce songs, halup..lol

I think the real turn-up for the books on this tour was the song he chose to close the show, "Dream baby dream", possibly the most obscure cover he's ever done, but performed in a way that had everyone present picking their jaws up off the floor afterwards. To call that one inspirational would be an understatement.

You're right about playing unfamiliar songs in stadiums. He played Kittys Back (all eleven minutes of it) in Dublin in 2003 as an encore when I saw him - and it wasnt even in the setlist. He did it simply because a girl in the front row held a banner up requesting it!

Keeps the band on its toes, too!

Date: November 23, 2005 21:38

Gazza, were you at the Springsteen show at the RDS in 2003? I went to that one, plus the 2 in London. I also saw the final 2 shows at Shea Stadium and he was pullling out tour premieres and rarities until the very end. he also brought out Dylan for Highway 61.

Date: November 24, 2005 00:25

yes, I've seen all of Bruce's Irish shows - plus the guest appearance with Joe Ely in Dublin in '96.

Ive only seen one show on each of the last 3 tours unfortunately because I'd already committed to seeing several Stones shows at around the same time and because on this tour it was too hard to get tickets for the other European shows

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 24, 2005 04:02

Gazza Wrote:

He played Kittys Back (all eleven
> minutes of it) in Dublin in 2003 as an encore when
> I saw him - and it wasnt even in the setlist. He
> did it simply because a girl in the front row held
> a banner up requesting it!
>
> Keeps the band on its toes, too!

Can you imagine the Stones trying to play a 30 year old song they hardly ever play for 11 minutes? Given Mick, Keith and Ronnie's bad memories, it would be the biggest train wreck of all time! It would probably be 11 minutes of tuning up and trying to figure out what key it is in. There are nights the Stones forget parts of songs they've been playing in nearly every show for the last 30 years. I love them, but hearing about how other bands are varying their setlist really makes me sad that the boys aren't doing the same. Or that they simply aren't able to.

That is so impressive that Springsteen and his band can do that. I saw him in 1992 and 2000 and he was great both times, particularly the second time since it was the E Street Band reunion tour. Springsteen is bound to be a Stones fan; has he ever covered any of their songs in concert?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-24 04:23 by ohnonotyouagain.

Date: November 24, 2005 04:09

lets see..

he did a shit hot version of Street Fighting Man several times on the Born In the USA Tour

Also played The last Time on the final night of the Darkness tour (Cleveland 1.1.79)

Not fade away (Ok, I know its a cover!) cropped up as a regular medley with Shes The One in 1978

Honky Tonk Women has been played at a few club shows, and even as a sort of intro to another song (I think it was Darlington county) on the 1999-2000 Reunion tour

and hes done a few other songs at surprise appearances at club shows - off the top of my head, Dead Flowers, Sweet Virginia (I think)

I remember a few years ago in London it was reported that he even got up in a bar and sang jumpin Jack Flash

I'm sure there are a few others....hes also played loads of songs by other artists that have also been covered by the Stones (Little Queenie, Aint too proud to beg etc etc)

Bruce has always been a huge Stones fan. He even said that when he was starting out, him and Steve van Zandt "just wanted to BE the Rolling Stones".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-24 04:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 24, 2005 04:21

I read a recent interview with Nils Lofgren, where he says that: the biggest of everyone is the Rolling Stones. Thats the reason he love rockn roll. Nice. Gazza, have you seen the Toronto show from 1984 (on DVD) with Springsteen. Thats the best video Ive seen with Springsteen. It kills me. If you havent seen it, Ill send it to you (if you win the quiz, ha-ha, only joking.)

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 24, 2005 04:30

Gazza Wrote:
> lets see..
>
> he did a shit hot version of Street Fighting Man
> several times on the Born In the USA Tour
>
> Also played The last Time on the final night of
> the Darkness tour (Cleveland 1.1.79)
>
> Not fade away (Ok, I know its a cover!) cropped up
> as a regular medley with Shes The One in 1978
>
> Honky Tonk Women has been played at a few club
> shows, and even as a sort of intro to another song
> (I think it was Darlington county) on the
> 1999-2000 Reunion tour
>
> and hes done a few other songs at surprise
> appearances at club shows - off the top of my
> head, Dead Flowers, Sweet Virginia (I think)
>
> I remember a few years ago in London it was
> reported that he even got up in a bar and sang
> jumpin Jack Flash
>
> I'm sure there are a few others....hes also played
> loads of songs by other artists that have also
> been covered by the Stones (Little Queenie, Aint
> too proud to beg etc etc)
>
> Bruce has always been a huge Stones fan. He even
> said that when he was starting out, him and Steve
> van Zandt "just wanted to BE the Rolling Stones".

Very cool on Bruce's part. Thanks for the info. I've always liked his music. I wish I had gone to a show on The Rising tour. Will he do an electric album and a tour with the E Street Band after this tour is over, do you think?

Posted by: redshift ()
Date: November 24, 2005 05:32

Bruce did Street Fighting Man on the 84-85 tour at least once.

Oops, didn't see earlier post.

I have a 3 cam DVD of Bruce at FedEx(Rising Tour) which is the best audiece DVD I've ever seen. Notm that I've seen that many.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-24 05:38 by redshift.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: November 24, 2005 08:59

By the way who is Bruce??? No I was just joking....

Bruce by the way had a very hard time filling the stadiums in 2003. They have put up guests as they did with AC/DC in that time. Anyway. It's nice that he played so many different songs. But I am sure that the people who are not on fan boards or other chat rooms and only see him or the Stones for once do miss the big hits all the time.
Mind you Bruce is only very big in the Eastcoast of the States where he could tour for ever. People are mostly very reluctant in the West, not because of his music but of his political attitude which they seem to never forgive.

Anyway this is not a Bruce board, coming back to the Stones:

I do of course accept critisicm and I agree that there are better and worse shows. However do not judge from third party Cd-Rom or anything which is available. It's just mediocre compare to the sound and guitars you get this time. And believe it or not the guitars are much more present than during Licks Tour where the treat was more or less Can't you hear me knocking.

There is one thing which I am anxious about: By the time the Stones will get to Europe they might be a bit tired and only keep up the high goals once in a while. We may get 2nd class concerts and down again to 19 songs, but that's the price we pay as we do argue about ticket prices.

Rockingfan and Lodge the same man

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: November 24, 2005 12:05

The Budokan setlist in the original post is not a lot better than the ABB setlists.

If you trade LIB, No Expectations, ENSTL, WAY, BTMMR and Rock Me Baby
for e.g. She's so cold, Back of My Hand, Night Time, Rain Fall Down, Infamy and ONNYA, which is essentially the difference, you don't get a worse show, but a different one. So that seems to be just a matter of taste. In fact, I like the latter configuration better.

If that Budokan setlist were reintroduced, now THAN I would be pissed.

Date: November 24, 2005 14:36

Rockingfan Wrote:
> > Bruce by the way had a very hard time filling the
> stadiums in 2003. They have put up guests as they
> did with AC/DC in that time.

Huh? he NEVER has an opening act.

Anyway. It's nice
> that he played so many different songs. But I am
> sure that the people who are not on fan boards or
> other chat rooms and only see him or the Stones
> for once do miss the big hits all the time.
> Mind you Bruce is only very big in the Eastcoast
> of the States where he could tour for ever. People
> are mostly very reluctant in the West, not because
> of his music but of his political attitude which
> they seem to never forgive.

you ever heard of a continent named Europe?

Date: November 24, 2005 14:38

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> I read a recent interview with Nils Lofgren, where
> he says that: the biggest of everyone is the
> Rolling Stones. Thats the reason he love rockn
> roll. Nice. Gazza, have you seen the Toronto show
> from 1984 (on DVD) with Springsteen. Thats the
> best video Ive seen with Springsteen. It kills me.
> If you havent seen it, Ill send it to you (if you
> win the quiz, ha-ha, only joking.)

LOL

yes, I have it, thanks

Good show, although its not my favourite tour (prefer The River and Tunnel of Love tours personally). Check out the pro shot from Largo 1980 for a great example of a show from that tour (the concert lasts over 3 and a half hours..!)

Date: November 24, 2005 14:39

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
>
> Very cool on Bruce's part. Thanks for the info.
> I've always liked his music. I wish I had gone to
> a show on The Rising tour. Will he do an electric
> album and a tour with the E Street Band after this
> tour is over, do you think?

yes, I think he will.

Rumour has it the next E-Street Band tour could be the last one. Clarence isnt getting any younger...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home