Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Darryl Jones documentary
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 30, 2022 16:09

Cooltoplady
Roll73
24FPS
I don't hate Darryl Jones. I hate his bass playing in my favorite group of all time.

Wow - must have been pretty miserable for you seeing them live any time over the last 28 years

You should read some of his other posts. Never had anything good to say.

Then you're seeing them through your own bias. I have plenty of good things to say about Bill's bass playing. If you'll notice in the trailer no one really talks about anything special about Darryl's bass playing, just that he's a nice, genial guy. I've had plenty of nice things to say about other Stone's subjects. I've been a huge Stones fan for over 50 years. I have 30 Stones concert DVDs. I've praised the No Security Tour (their last great one). El Mocambo is in my CD player right now. Plenty of people have agreed with my statements, whether 'negative' or 'positive'. 'Never had anything good to say' is b.s.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 30, 2022 17:00

Cristiano Radtke
roller99
Darryl Jones Biopic

Thanks for the article, roller99!

Thank you for reading my friend! Good luck in the vote this weekend.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 30, 2022 17:01

roundnround
Hi Rocky Dijon, Thanks very much for your kind comments. Thanks also to roller99. You have restored my faith in humanity!

Yes, this is the same film. We have changed the title slightly to include the title of a song by Darryl. We are not including all of the clips we shared before, but some of it is in the film.

Darryl is an incredible bass player, and is much loved by all of the Stones. You will see this in the film. He is also a very kind and nice person.

The film is opening next week in LA, Chicago and Toronto. It will also be on Amazon Prime and Apple TV starting on Oct. 7. Hope you enjoy it!

Roundandround, please email me.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 30, 2022 17:04

Surely Darryl is a nice guy but he's overqualified for the job. You can have a jazz saxophonist in a rock and roll band but a jazz bassist is stretching it since the bass is the foundation of rock and roll.
I think Charlie's love of jazz music led to this decision - which was the wrong one. For both parts. Not financially though...

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 30, 2022 19:43

Stoneage
Surely Darryl is a nice guy but he's overqualified for the job. You can have a jazz saxophonist in a rock and roll band but a jazz bassist is stretching it since the bass is the foundation of rock and roll.
I think Charlie's love of jazz music led to this decision - which was the wrong one. For both parts. Not financially though...
I don’t hear in his playing any rock magic, I don’t think he is overqualified to play rock.I don’t know what that means.

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: September 30, 2022 20:38

It is all a matter of taste. I prefer Bill to Daryll.

Just listen to Just My Imagination live. Bill supports it with a slow groove. Daryll just follows the guitar riff. It is a world of difference.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 30, 2022 21:16

Gigbag
It is all a matter of taste. I prefer Bill to Daryll.

Just listen to Just My Imagination live. Bill supports it with a slow groove. Daryll just follows the guitar riff. It is a world of difference.

thumbs upthumbs up

Daryll should have listened carefully and repeatedly to this live version of "Let It Bleed" and learned how to play with the Stones:
[youtu.be]

Date: September 30, 2022 22:38

Taylor1
Stoneage
I don’t hear in his playing any rock magic, I don’t think he is overqualified to play rock.I don’t know what that means.

To be overqualified is not always something good. Jazz and rock are different forms of music, jazz the more complex one (even if they mix and come together at some level).
To play rock music for a jazz musician is to take one step down the ladder.

Date: September 30, 2022 23:15

Stoneage
Taylor1
Stoneage

To be overqualified is not always something good. Jazz and rock are different forms of music, jazz the more complex one (even if they mix and come together at some level).
I am sure Keith could never play complex jazz solosBut,thereis almost no jazz guitarist who could play rock guitar like Keith at his peak. It may be simpler to play, but his sense of rhythm is hard to replicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-30 23:21 by Taylor1.

Date: September 30, 2022 23:38

Taylor1
Stoneage
Taylor1
Stoneage

I am sure Keith could never play complex jazz solosBut,thereis almost no jazz guitarist who could play rock guitar like Keith at his peak. It may be simpler to play, but his sense of rhythm is hard to replicate

Of course. We're on the same note now...

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: September 30, 2022 23:45

ProfessorWolf
it looks really good and i'd love to see it if for nothing else then to hear charlie speak again

i've never been part of the darryl sucks gang (as much as i love bill's playing and miss it) he does his job well and i'm glad he's there

is there any plans for a physical release in the future?

i'd love to own it on blu ray or dvd

i don't live anywhere near the city's you mentioned and don't have the kind of internet access to stream it sadly

but if it ever gets screened in tacoma wa i'll be there

Hi Professor Wolf, The film will be released on DVD soon. We don't have European distribution yet but working on it... Will let you know if it gets to Tacoma or elsewhere. Thanks for your interest!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 1, 2022 02:09

Rockman
Met Darryl a couple of times ....
gentle ... polite.. well mannered person ....

So what you mean to say is he's nothing like most IORRians.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 1, 2022 06:16

Wondering if Darryl will mention anything about the supposed new Stones album?

Date: October 1, 2022 07:19

Stoneage
Taylor1
Stoneage

Please. Jazz is not a better music, it's a different music. Just because you can play jazz doesn't mean you can play rock. Sometimes jazz just sounds like over indulgent noodling, playing for themselves. I said sometimes. I have great respect for a lot of jazz musicians. Bill is steeped in rock and roll, first hearing it while in the RAF in Germany, on America's Armed Forces radio. It was in his bones. He played it with the Cliftons before he ever joined the Stones. The Stones turned him onto blues and he took to it, much like they took to some of the rock he knew that they didn't.

As far as I can read on his Wiki page, Darryl NEVER played with a rock and roll band before Charlie picked him for the Stones. Think about that. Charlie added a slight jazz swing to the Stones. I still don't know what Darryl brings to the table. Do you really think Charlie was the best person to choose a rock and roll bass player for the Stones? He admitted he didn't think much about what Bill played all those years until he had to go back and listen to the songs.

Bill had a rough edge because he grew up in harder circumstances. It comes through in the music. Darryl is real smooth, like solo Sting. But that's not rock and roll. I'll be interested to know how long this documentary is. His history seems pretty straightforward. Wasn't there a Billy Preston documentary at one point? Now that would be cool to watch.

Date: October 1, 2022 14:19

24FPS
Please. Jazz is not a better music.

Never said that. I'm basically saying the same thing as you but in other words.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 1, 2022 16:07

roundnround
ProfessorWolf
it looks really good and i'd love to see it if for nothing else then to hear charlie speak again

i've never been part of the darryl sucks gang (as much as i love bill's playing and miss it) he does his job well and i'm glad he's there

is there any plans for a physical release in the future?

i'd love to own it on blu ray or dvd

i don't live anywhere near the city's you mentioned and don't have the kind of internet access to stream it sadly

but if it ever gets screened in tacoma wa i'll be there

Hi Professor Wolf, The film will be released on DVD soon. We don't have European distribution yet but working on it... Will let you know if it gets to Tacoma or elsewhere. Thanks for your interest!

thank you for responding

it's awesome that it's getting a physical release i thought it end up like keith's under the influence and be something that i can't see

and tacoma is just the nearest semi big city to where i live that i can get to if need be

75 miles away but it would still be awesome to see it in a local theatre in tacoma

my local theatre closest to me is the roxy in morton wa lovely little old theatre that we fought hard to save a couple years ago when they had to buy a new projector because they stopped releasing movies on 35mm

anyway good luck with the release i'll do my part and spread the word

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 1, 2022 20:29

roundnround
The film will open on Friday Oct. 7 in Los Angeles and Chicago. It will be at the Laemmle Monica theater in Santa Monica, and at the Showplace Icon theater in Chicago. It will also be available on Amazon and Apple TV. Enjoy!

Any idea how long it will play in Santa Monica? I arrive in LA the evening of the 14th?

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 1, 2022 20:34

24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
I hope it covers Darryl's inability to switch from successful jazz bassist to a credible rock bassist. At least not with the Stones.

So you know better and more than Charlie, Keith and Mick.

Yes. I'm the one who has to listen to it, and it's subpar at best. He started out okay, but then went off in some nebulous direction that has nothing to do with the song. No tension, no emotion.

Lol you know better than the guys. There’s something wrong with you. You’re like a chicken farmer complaining about the price of Hockey Tickets.

Nothing wrong with me. My ears still work. Do yours? Tell me what great bass accomplishments Mr. Jones has brought to the Stones? Give me a great example of his work.

Here's an example: Out of Control.

plexi

Date: October 1, 2022 22:47

timbernardis
24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
I hope it covers Darryl's inability to switch from successful jazz bassist to a credible rock bassist. At least not with the Stones.

So you know better and more than Charlie, Keith and Mick.

Yes. I'm the one who has to listen to it, and it's subpar at best. He started out okay, but then went off in some nebulous direction that has nothing to do with the song. No tension, no emotion.

Lol you know better than the guys. There’s something wrong with you. You’re like a chicken farmer complaining about the price of Hockey Tickets.

Nothing wrong with me. My ears still work. Do yours? Tell me what great bass accomplishments Mr. Jones has brought to the Stones? Give me a great example of his work.

plexi

You know, that's not a bad example. Of course it leans toward a jazz sound, which is his wheelhouse.

Date: October 2, 2022 04:27

timbernardis
24FPS
Tell me what great bass accomplishments Mr. Jones has brought to the Stones? Give me a great example of his work.
plexi

Forgive me, but that was Danny Saber on bass if you mean the studio version.

Date: October 2, 2022 05:02

Has Darryl ever played on any of Mick's solo tunes?

Date: October 2, 2022 05:36

Not Mick Jagger solo recordings if that's what you mean (as opposed to Mick/Matt songs that are Stones releases).

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 2, 2022 08:45

I love the Bill Wyman era, but Change can be refreshing, and I find that to be case with the addition of Darryl to the Rolling Stones. Although, hard to believe this change was 28+ years ago! Darryl’s a very talented player and I’m looking forward to viewing this documentary on Saturday.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 2, 2022 21:04

Taylor1
Stoneage
Taylor1
Stoneage

Clueless.

Date: October 2, 2022 23:46

swimtothemoon
I love the Bill Wyman era, but Change can be refreshing, and I find that to be case with the addition of Darryl to the Rolling Stones. Although, hard to believe this change was 28+ years ago! Darryl’s a very talented player and I’m looking forward to viewing this documentary on Saturday.

That's fair. Tell me what was so refreshing?

Date: October 3, 2022 01:18

Hairball
No but Doug Wimbish did and he was I believe Micks choice to replace Bill but he had a commitment to play with Living Colour which would have delayed his joining.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 3, 2022 01:33

timbernardis
roundnround
The film will open on Friday Oct. 7 in Los Angeles and Chicago. It will be at the Laemmle Monica theater in Santa Monica, and at the Showplace Icon theater in Chicago. It will also be available on Amazon and Apple TV. Enjoy!

Any idea how long it will play in Santa Monica? I arrive in LA the evening of the 14th?

plexi

Hi Plexi,
The film is scheduled to play for a week in Santa Monica, but hopefully will be extended longer... Will post any updates.

Date: October 3, 2022 02:47

Taylor1
Hairball
No but Doug Wimbish did and he was I believe Micks choice to replace Bill but he had a commitment to play with Living Colour which would have delayed his joining.

Yes, so the story goes, but glad he stuck to his commitments with Living Colour as I don't think he would have been a good replacement for Bill.
He eventually played bass on Might as Well Get Juiced ....a terrible tune imo, but shouldn't blame Doug Wimbish for that - it's simply a terrible tune.

Date: October 3, 2022 03:26

Hairball
Taylor1
Hairball

Yes, so the story goes, but glad he stuck to his commitments with Living Colour as I don't think he would have been a good replacement for Bill.
He eventually played bass on Might as Well Get Juiced ....a terrible tune imo, but shouldn't blame Doug Wimbish for that - it's simply a terrible tune.
I like his playing on Micks solo music and 1988 tour more than Jones

Date: October 3, 2022 18:43

The 1985 Sting live album and film Bring On the Night are excellent.

Darryl appears in the film as part of The Dream of the Blue Turtles touring band.

Between 1985-1988 is the only period in Sting's solo career that he didn't play bass live.

I'm not including The Police 1986 Amnesty International Conspiracy Of Hope concerts, where Sting played bass with the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-03 18:50 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home