Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fresno Concert review 20/11/05
Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: November 22, 2005 00:06

Review by Rex Dean, Carmichael, California
Up until now Fresno has been probably known the most for race car driver Bill Vukovich who dominated the Indianapolis 500 for several years and is widely regarded as the greatest race driver of all time. The Fresno resident was one who would always strive to be the best at what he did and there is a fitting monument to him at the Convention Center in downtown Fresno.
That may have all changed last night when the Rolling Stones came to town. They may now go down as the person or persons who have done more to put the fast growing California San Joaquin Valley town on the map.

They put on a sparkling show in front of a packed Save Mart Center on a beautiful Sunday evening and made history that will not be forgotten by the people who attended for the rest of their lives.

We arrived early and before going into the arena walked over to the trucks and busses and met one of the technicians. He told us some interesting tidbits of information about the tour. We did thank him and told him to tell everybody he could how much all this was appreciated and how lucky we were of being able to see the Stones. His response was that he agreed but what impressed him the most was the way we were able to see them. Not just in some small time venues with inferior sound systems – but an all out show in the best arenas with the best sound and equipment available.

The Stones kicked off the show a little after 9:00 p.m. in explosive fashion with Start me Up. Right away it looked like they were going to have a good time and Mick looked like he was really ready to lay down some Stones Classics that people would never forget.

Mick said that "they told him" the Stones had not played Fresno since 1965 …. "can you believe it?" He also that Save Mart Center wasn’t even a gleam in someone’s eye at that time and here they were still playing the same set list. Then a little later he said he thought they might have played there in 1966 but wasn’t sure. The Stones did play various cities in California on three or four separate occasions from about ’64 to ’66. In Fresno they undoubtedly played the old Memorial Auditorium downtown which was a venue of about 3500 people. If it still exists it would be a perfect place for them to play for a small show right now.

Mick was very playful all night long drop kicking and throwing water bottles on the appreciate Fresno crowd.

During the introductions he introduced Charlie as Charlie "Wang Bang" Watts and Keith and Ron tried to drag him to the front of the stage for his accolades but he wouldn’t have anything to do with it.

Tumbling Dice was again one of the highlights of the evening. Always a great, great song.

Keith’s numbers were hot as usual. He too said it had "been awhile" since they were in Fresno. Yes, like 40 years. That is Four Zero

Mick kept up his friendly attitude and joking tone when after a number on the small stage and the crowd was going crazy in front him he yelled out " you maniacs!"

I had been to the San Francisco concert and I thought Rough Justice was better in Fresno. Maybe clearer and – not trying to make a pun – a little "rougher" sounding. It had a very raw edge to it.

Get Off My Cloud get the crowd going in S.F. and got them going in Fresno as well. But that song probably would get anybody going in any city. It just gets the crowd into it with the "hey, you" part.

And of course Night Time is the Right time was fabulous as well – with Lisa in top form. I will have to check the original lyrics of that song and compare to what I heard last night. Thought there might have been a couple changes.

With my high powered binoculars I tried to look for every detail I could. Keith uses the red cup in case anybody is interested and it appears to have an orange colored drink or maybe ice in it. He also smokes Marlboros and usually had one going in the ashtray. The rest of the boys drink mostly bottled water.

Again I noticed the Stones must be trying to jazz up their wardrobe as Ron had a new pair of shoes and Charlie had a flashy yellow colored golf shirt. There is also some writing on the bottom of Mick’s shoes but couldn’t quite read it. It might have been his initials or maybe just a design? But it was something

From my vantage point through the binoculars it was wonderful to see the faces in the background with Mick in the foreground. The different expressions of happiness and awe were something to see.

Jagger was not only warm to the crowd, he was also dynamite. When he did Sympathy For The Devil he let it all hang out – pressing his voice and body to the outer limits. I had the benefit of my powerful binoculars to see every line in his face and the effort he was putting out -- which probably doesn’t translate to video screens. Let me tell you. He gives it everything he has.

I could also see backstage some during the show and on one number Charlie was talking to one of the technicians about something – looked like they were discussing something to do with sound. It just points out that even during the show they are trying to tweak on things and make it better as they go and adjust to the room if possible.

In one interesting moment, somebody threw flowers on stage. Ron picked them up and threw them wildly toward Lisa. Somehow they landed right in her hands and she neatly put them on Chuck’s keyboard. Things are going right here.

You Can’t Always Get What You Want was the first encore number and it gave Ron – who up until then had been pretty low key during the night – a chance to really shine. He jumped to the edge of the stage and went through some incredible guitar riffs reminiscent of Can’t you Hear me Knocking.

And then on the grand finale – Satisfaction – Keith got into the act ripping through his part of the most popular Rolling Stone song of all time.

Not one person left that arena that I saw until well after the Stones had left the building. They had really connected and the Stones had gave them the best they had.

After this concert, it would be entirely appropriate if the city of Fresno erected a monument to The Rolling Stones, the Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Band in the World, and put it right alongside the Vukovich Memorial downtown for everybody to see as a remembrance to the day the Rolling Stones came to town.

Re: Fresno Concert review 20/11/05
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 22, 2005 00:30

:E yeah, that's the general idea! :E
thanks for posting that, Stones40.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 22, 2005 01:12

nice read, Stones40
Thank You

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 22, 2005 03:09

Nce,read thanks,now were there alot of cowboys/girls in the crowd,cause this town is near bakersfield!!!!!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 22, 2005 03:22

Beeaaakeeeerrsfieeewld, riiight?

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: November 22, 2005 05:02

stones40 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > You Can’t Always Get What You Want was the first
> encore number and it gave Ron – who up until then
> had been pretty low key during the night – a
> chance to really shine. He jumped to the edge of
> the stage and went through some incredible guitar
> riffs reminiscent of Can’t you Hear me Knocking.
>
> And then on the grand finale – Satisfaction –
> Keith got into the act ripping through his part of
> the most popular Rolling Stone song of all time.
>
> Not one person left that arena that I saw until
> well after the Stones had left the building. They
> had really connected and the Stones had gave them
> the best they had.

Stones 40, I hate to break the news to you, but as many "knowledgeable" posters on this board will attest, it is utterly impossible that you saw a good show, and particularly impossible that Ron Wood was anything but "missing in action" as he is such a terrible guitarist.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 22, 2005 05:21

I've seen Ron play badly at a number of shows, but unless I was just out of my mind last night, he played quite well (esp. on YCAGWYW) and Mick seemed very pleased.

Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: November 22, 2005 07:20

I was there last night and not only did the Rolling Stones shine, Ronnie shined with them! His guitar work, especially on YCAWYW was awesome - the sound was better than the SF1 show that I saw - and they were "on" all night long (maybe some dragging in the end of Miss You....) and played a great show. Jagger connected with the audience from Start Me Up and was engaged all night - playing off of the energy of the crowd. Keith was grinning and playing his heart out, and showing all that he was having a good time. Charlie was solid in his drumming - and Darryl Jones layed down a great bass groove - especially apparent when the Stones played "Rain Fall Down". Rough Justice played much better in Fresno than it did in SF1 - and rocked with a raw edge even better than the record.

I think that those in attendance witnessed the "Greatest Rock N' Roll Band" in excellent shape (maybe Ronnie and the gang heard the chatter about his guitar playing and the sometimes "muddy" or "flat" mix - as he seemed to play his best - with all of his heart and talent - a true Rolling Stone indeed!

Date: November 22, 2005 23:06

Would love to read any other comments from fans who also attended the FRESNO Stones show - please provide your input and info for all to read......thanks in advance....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 22, 2005 23:31

I was impressed with the Fresno gig. Nice, smallish-sized arena with great acoustics. Saw Dylan there last year.

Ronnie did acquit himself much better than both SF debacles. But, KR and MJ were in tip-top shape. Not a particuarly inspired setlist, of course. Bitch was a good one - KR's razor-sharp riffs and leads were in front-center in the mix, unlike past tours.

I really enjoyed the opening of Night Time with Ronnie & Keith seated for the first couple of verses on CW's riser....Keith stood up and unleashed a fury of notes to lead Lisa into the song....very cool.

Beast of Burden was nice - better version than Wiltern's (last time I saw it live).

I actually enjoyed RJ for the first time - very rough and ready - followed by a terrific GOOMC. So glad that YGMR had the night off.

Made some cool eye contact with RW (we were 15 rows back on the rail, RW's side) as the stage headed our way during Miss You. Pointed to my hat (" Stones"written on it) to which Ronnie gave a smile and thumbs up.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: November 23, 2005 00:14

T&A Wrote:
> I was impressed with the Fresno gig. Nice,
> smallish-sized arena with great acoustics. Saw
> Dylan there last year.
>
> Ronnie did acquit himself much better than both SF
> debacles. But, KR and MJ were in tip-top shape.
> Not a particuarly inspired setlist, of course.
> Bitch was a good one - KR's razor-sharp riffs and
> leads were in front-center in the mix, unlike past
> tours.
>
> I really enjoyed the opening of Night Time with
> Ronnie & Keith seated for the first couple of
> verses on CW's riser....Keith stood up and
> unleashed a fury of notes to lead Lisa into the
> song....very cool.
>
> Beast of Burden was nice - better version than
> Wiltern's (last time I saw it live).
>
> I actually enjoyed RJ for the first time - very
> rough and ready - followed by a terrific GOOMC. So
> glad that YGMR had the night off.
>
> Made some cool eye contact with RW (we were 15
> rows back on the rail, RW's side) as the stage
> headed our way during Miss You. Pointed to my hat
> (" Stones"written on it) to which Ronnie gave a
> smile and thumbs up.
>
T&A,
Cool story regarding Wood. Thanks for sharing.

I was Cincy (can't remember the show date, but it was many a year ago in old Riverfront) and we had 3rd dead center and during Miss You, jagger was strutting across stage and I did the old finger shoot standing on a chair and he fired back. Anyway, it's the little things smiling smiley!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 23, 2005 00:25

Way cool shots of Stones in action....scroll down..

[www.novogate.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: November 23, 2005 00:28

Great pix, no sh*t, Rockman. Great!!

Date: November 23, 2005 00:39

Yeah the gang in black....nice!

ROCKMAN

Date: November 23, 2005 00:43

Let´s just borrow it...

Thanks to Gypsy; Newscom; and Rocks Off, respectively.
And Rockman.
"The gang in black"

Date: November 23, 2005 00:55

Hey yeah ...well if that's the case Baboon then drag that one of just Keith over for all to see....Lurv it!

ROCKMAN

Date: November 23, 2005 01:00

Right.

Thanks to Gypsy; Newscom; and Rocks Off, respectively.
And Rockman.
"Riffmeister strikes back."

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 23, 2005 04:39

Rockman Wrote:
> Way cool shots of Stones in action....scroll
> down..
>
>
>
> ROCKMAN

those pics were from San Francisco, though - not Fresno

Date: November 23, 2005 07:20

Were the pics (above) from the SF1 show or the SF2 show?

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: November 23, 2005 07:48

Thanks so much, Rex Dean, for your great review, you just hit the nail on the head.
After three wonderful shows in September at MSG, Giant’s Stadium and Albany, I waited with growing excitement for my big ten days.... San Diego (on stage box tics), then my home town, two incredible warm, moonlit nights at SBC Park, (8th row isle on Keith’s side the first night and 8th row isle on Ronnie’s side the second night). The build up got more intense and the Vegas show rocked the very roots of the MGM Grand. Again incredible seats section 10, CC. After that show, I knew Fresno would be the climax (who would have thought Fresno!) And it was with great excitement I put the pedal to the metal for the long drive to the University Inn. These were by far the best seats of the tour so far. Section 121, first row A and as the band exploded onto the stage I knew we were to be carried, (as Mick said after the show) “off the charts”. The SaveMart Center was lifted into another dimension and one which will not be forgotten. The intensity never once failed. As Keith says, “All I want is ecstasy...” Well, we all got it tonight!

By the way, I was the one who threw the roses onto the stage - I am glad they crossed the Rubicorn.

Thank you, goodnight and God bless.
sarah, aka sparkly top

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 23, 2005 08:35

sarahunwin Wrote:
>
> By the way, I was the one who threw the roses onto
> the stage - I am glad they crossed the Rubicorn.
>

I saw that! I was a few rows behind you in P. I saw Ronnie pick them up and hand them to Lisa (or at least I hope I am remembering the right show).

Date: November 23, 2005 08:37

Yeah, this happened at the Fresno show - I was seated on the side where Darryl Jones was playing and had a great view of the entire stage all night long - and caught this - was great to see how this went down - and the lady (Lisa) appreciated the roses.

Posted by: nanker25 ()
Date: November 23, 2005 10:20

Wood not good? I was at both SF shows and Fresno, and he seemed to do more playing in the nation's salad bowl. He can play well, when he plays.
Even seats in row D upper section seemed close. This was a tight show from the start, with the horn section smoking. Keys burned through Live With Me, and the rest of the section was in sync throughout.
Not much variety in the set list, but we did get Beast of Burden and Bitch, both missing from SF shows. But Get Off My Cloud was back. Best songs only played once in the 3 shows: Paint It Black, As Tears Go By, Midnight Rambler.
Since we always talk about how well Woody and Keith play in one show or another, let's not forget that rhythm section. Maybe it's because Watts and Jones are so consistently good.
Charlie's good tonight, isn't he?

Nanker 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1349
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home