Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Around and around again; open or standard???
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 21, 2005 15:15

Keith plays it in open tuning, I'm 100 % sure at least live in 1976 and 1977.

Re: Around and around again; open or standard???
Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: November 21, 2005 15:33

Don't know about the later versions but here it is live from Ready Steady Go in 1965 & I'm pretty sure he wasn't doing any open tunings back then. I recorded this myself off the tv.

[rapidshare.de]

Posted by: LE PAUL JAGGER ()
Date: November 21, 2005 15:39

studio : standart
76/77: open g

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 21, 2005 15:42

Yes, Le Paul that is what I see too.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 21, 2005 17:06

You sure about the 75-76 versions? Some of those licks would be pretty tough in open G. Maybe if he's only playing that fill in the verses, he could do it.

cc

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: November 21, 2005 17:24

The studio version is definitely in standard tuning. And I'm fairly positive the El Mocambo is too. Chuck Berry licks are much easier to play in standard than open tuning.

Date: November 21, 2005 17:30

But in 1976 (Knebworth), 1977 he plays it on the Macabre, which he used in open tunings. Also , thje solo sounds like the solo on HTW, same guitar, same tuning, same solo techinque.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 21, 2005 18:09

vox12string Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't know about the later versions but here it is
> live from Ready Steady Go in 1965 & I'm pretty
> sure he wasn't doing any open tunings back then. I
> recorded this myself off the tv.
>
>
Fascinating version. In fact, I never heard this before. Do you have more self-recorded TV or radio Stones stuff?
In particular, I'm looking for an excellent sounding version of Beautiful Delilah from the BBC sessions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-21 18:22 by retired_dog.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 21, 2005 19:43

This topic came up before not too long ago and before that it had never occured to me that it might be in open G on the El Mocambo record as I had always played it in standard tuning with no problems and I had never heard of Keith playing a Berry tune in an alternate tuning. Add to that that the studio version was defintely done in standard tuning. However the thread prompted me to try it in open G and you know what? It works!

Posted by: SKlPPY ()
Date: November 21, 2005 20:49

For years I've played Roll over Bethoven in open tuning and mid way thru turned it into If the House is a Rock'n.

I doubt Around and Around is open but Playing Chuck Berry riffs in open is no problem what so ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-21 20:49 by SKlPPY.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 21, 2005 20:49

ChrisM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This topic came up before not too long ago and
> before that it had never occured to me that it
> might be in open G on the El Mocambo record as I
> had always played it in standard tuning with no
> problems and I had never heard of Keith playing a
> Berry tune in an alternate tuning. Add to that
> that the studio version was defintely done in
> standard tuning. However the thread prompted me to
> try it in open G and you know what? It works!

It works great, in fact! Never thought about open G too.
Always played it in standart tuning, in the key of A.

Date: November 21, 2005 21:01

I would think the double-stops on the top 2 strings would be a lot harder in open G, where your top string is tuned down a whole step. You'd have to use 2 fingers to play them, and you wouldn't have your other fingers then in position and free to hit the double-stops on the 2nd and 3rd strings, as in the opening to "Johnny B. Goode," "Carol," etc.

Now "Around & Around" might never go there, I'm trying to remember. It's got that "jazzy" lick through much of the verse...

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 21, 2005 21:54

Ah the "jazzy" lick. Do you mean the major 6th chords that Keith plays after the solo?

Date: November 21, 2005 22:45

Well, in my vocab, the riff he plays after each vocal line is "jazzy" - yes, playing with the major 6th (or is it a 9th?). The choruses kick in to a more continuous 4/4 rhythm and more standard berry licks - the ones I think would be hard in open G - after mick announces, "but they kept on a-rockin." (though quite a CB few songs use that 6th-or-9th sliding lick, like "Memphis," I think). I'm more familiar with CB's version than the Stones', in my audio memory anyway ;-). Maybe that lick is as easy or easier in open G...

cc

Posted by: monkey_man ()
Date: November 21, 2005 22:45

i´m really interrested in the chords.can anyone post them? please, i´m much too stupid to figure them out on my own!!!!!!maybe a tabs? would be great!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 21, 2005 23:06

The '76 and '77 versions of A&A have Keith play in open G. If I recall correctly El Mocambo is A (open G with a capo on the 2nd fret) and Knebworth is in the key of G.

At the El Mocambo, Keith plays the solo with the same positions as he would play it in standard tuning, thus altering the E and A tones on the high E and B string to E and G. He does this trick also on the solo of Honky Tonk Women.

Mathijs

Date: November 22, 2005 01:34

I know whatcha mean and i played the solo that way when i thought it was done in standard tuning then i relized its easier in open and that K. does it that way,

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: November 22, 2005 02:25

I really has to try this. I find it hard to think Keith uses open G for Around and arond, but I'll try it in the morning and get back to you. Chuck has certainly never used open tunings.

Posted by: monkey_man ()
Date: November 23, 2005 09:56

thank you Mathijs i´ll try it!

Date: November 23, 2005 10:28

< would think the double-stops on the top 2 strings would be a lot harder in open G, where your top string is tuned down a whole step. You'd have to use 2 fingers to play them, and you wouldn't have your other fingers then in position and free to hit the double-stops on the 2nd and 3rd strings, as in the opening to "Johnny B. Goode," "Carol," etc.>

But when you listen to the double stops you hear that the highest note is a step down...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2079
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home