Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Fans shun tickets to Stones gigs
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 12, 2022 11:36

Topi
keefriffhards

Come show time with lucky dips etc i'm sure expensive tickets will be sold at down to earth prices as will 90% of all tickets across the board.

It doesn't quite work that way. The face value price will almost invariably stay the same, they rarely go below that.

Now, tickets incluced VIP packs, if unsold, may become regular tickets (at face value), and dynamic/Platinum-priced tickets will get flexed back down to face value.

Lucky Dips are one of the ways to fill up some of the empty seats, yes, but that doesn't mean the "expensive tickets" would eventually be sold at Lucky Dip/discounted prices.

Ok, so basically they have their ways and means to sell MOST unsold tickets last minute, thanks for explaining in detail.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-12 11:38 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 12, 2022 11:43

They won't necessarily sell all those unsold seats (for money) but they will end up filling them by means of Lucky Dips/upgrades/comps etc. so that by showtime they will be in use.

Yes, even discounted prices are in use sometimes, but I don't think I've ever heard of, say, pit tickets being sold at half price of what the original price was. However, I seem to recall that on the US tour in 2019 or 2021 some shows had middle of the floor/lower bowl seat prices adjusted from the original ask of 300 dollars to 200 dollars. That's one example. Another one is a 15 % discount offered on GA tickets/upper seats for some UK shows through Groupon back in 2018.

The best seats/tickets usually do not get straight up discounts below face value though.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-12 12:23 by Topi.

Date: May 12, 2022 12:21

Topi
They won't necessarily sell all those unsold seats (for money) but they will end up filling them by means of Lucky Dips/upgrades/comps etc. so that by showtime they will be in use.

Yes, even discounted prices are in use sometimes, but I don't think I've ever heard of, say, pit tickets being sold at half price of what the original price was. However, I seem to recall that on the US tour in 2019 or 2021 some shows had middle of the floor/lower bowl seat prices adjusted from 300 dollars to 200 dollars. That's one example.

The best seats/tickets usually do not get straight up discounts below face value though.

So what you are saying is when a show appears to be sold out or 90% sold out that can sometimes be an illusion, that's interesting.

Was i right in saying that the promoters pay the Stones in advance for the tour, and the ticket sales to some degree are then out of the control of the Stones themselves, so very high prices are not necessarily down to the Stones or the fault of the Stones.

Whatever way tickets were sold or reduced the Stones were still the most profitable act last year as i said in my previous post and they have almost 6 weeks left to sell out the London shows.
I'm sure by show time the place will be packed, either that or the following tours will be arena size shows, can't envisage the Stones not selling out arenas even in poor economic times, i doubt people struggling to pay energy bills are attending those type of events, Stones audiences don't strike me as working class, the fans yes but not necessarily attendees, that explains why audiences are so unenthusiastic in recent years to say 80's & 90's, couldn't believe how low energy the audiences were in the States last year, hopefully better in Europe this summer.

What i'm saying is that the people who can afford the tickets are not necessarily the most enjoyable audiences for the Stones, it's like instant Karma spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 12, 2022 12:38

Yes, the Stones are on a guaranteed fee and it's up to the promoter to determine pricing, that's correct. (This is actually one reason we're not seeing arena tours anymore: the Stones' fee is so high the promoters need to take the shows to the biggest venues possible...)

And yes, their tours are highly profitable and always up there among the recent highest grossing tours even if all their shows are not complete sellouts anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-12 12:45 by Topi.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 12, 2022 13:15

Topi
Yes, the Stones are on a guaranteed fee and it's up to the promoter to determine pricing, that's correct. (This is actually one reason we're not seeing arena tours anymore: the Stones' fee is so high the promoters need to take the shows to the biggest venues possible...)

And yes, their tours are highly profitable and always up there among the recent highest grossing tours even if all their shows are not complete sellouts anymore.

Good post.

I was wondering: could another reason for larger venues be that it's a way to perform to as many people as possible, whilst performing the least amount of shows?

Date: May 12, 2022 15:35

That's probably one aspect of it, but in the end it comes down to money, I would think. Very true that the sheer amount of shows per tour/leg will be limited for obvious reasons.

Date: May 12, 2022 15:44

I often wonder why the Stones don't do half a dozen shows every other month for half the year as opposed to 15 shows then nothing for a year.
18 shows over 6 month's would be far less demanding physically plus playing on and off over 6 month's would mean less need for rehursing and better quality shows with more energy.

Also 6 shows at a time would sell out easier than 14 or 15.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-12 16:26 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 12, 2022 16:34

keefriffhards
I often wonder why the Stones don't do half a dozen shows every other month for half the year as opposed to 15 shows then nothing for a year.
18 shows over 6 month's would be far less demanding physically plus playing on and off over 6 month's would mean less need for rehursing and better quality shows with more energy.

Probably part staffing -- they have to hire a lot of people to do shows.
Part equipment -- they have to rent or take out trucks, stage, and other equipment, check it, and move it for each run of shows.
Part rehearsing -- they have to rehearse at least some before each run.
Part life/vacationing -- they like to be in certain of their homes at certain times of year.

They've chosen the type of tours that meet their lifestyle and financial needs.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 12, 2022 17:31

keefriffhards

Because people already complain about too high ticket prices, if they did as you say, it would be very much more and of course it would have a reflection on tickets.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 12, 2022 20:50

Topi
keefriffhards

Come show time with lucky dips etc i'm sure expensive tickets will be sold at down to earth prices as will 90% of all tickets across the board.

It doesn't quite work that way. The face value price will almost invariably stay the same, they rarely go below that.

Now, tickets included in VIP packs, if unsold, may become regular tickets (at face value), and dynamic/Platinum-priced tickets will get flexed back down to face value.

Lucky Dips are one of the ways to fill up some of the empty seats, yes, but that doesn't mean the "expensive tickets" would eventually be sold at Lucky Dip/discounted prices.

But yes, if there are empty "expensive" seats left, the production and the venue will find ways to fill them up by showtime to make it look better.

There were $5 tickets for the Oct 14 2021 Sofi Stadium show though I am not really sure where they were made available.

And yes, there were discounts and price drops for other select shows. Some like Minneapolis didn't budge but my St Louis seat was almost certainly discounted.

Date: May 12, 2022 21:49

Testify
keefriffhards

Because people already complain about too high ticket prices, if they did as you say, it would be very much more and of course it would have a reflection on tickets.

Didn't mean charge more for tickets, just meant they would sell easier at the same price, 6 shows at a time would make tickets highly desirable and sort after, the hottest tickets in town sort of vibe with mostly die-hard enthusiastic fans getting the tickets.

Also these guys are almost 80 now, if they want to continue for many more years, and i believe they do as this tour isn't billed as their last, half a dozen shows every couple months would suit them physically.
It's usually the last 6 shows out of 15 where cracks appear in recent years, Micks voice can become vulnerable to laryngitis, Keith tends to peak at about show 8 or 9 into the 15 shows, i always get the feeling the end of these tours are a bit of an endurance for the band as opposed to the sheer enjoyment and energy witnessed at the beginning.
Who knows what approach the Stones will have towards live shows in the next few years, I'm sure there will be some changes out of necessity at some point, seeing Ronnie the other day gave me the impression this tour is going to be tough for him, hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-12 22:18 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2022 22:34

keefriffhards
Testify
keefriffhards

Didn't mean charge more for tickets, just meant they would sell easier at the same price, 6 shows at a time would make tickets highly desirable and sort after, the hottest tickets in town sort of vibe with mostly die-hard enthusiastic fans getting the tickets.

Also these guys are almost 80 now, if they want to continue for many more years, and i believe they do as this tour isn't billed as their last, half a dozen shows every couple months would suit them physically.
It's usually the last 6 shows out of 15 where cracks appear in recent years, Micks voice can become vulnerable to laryngitis, Keith tends to peak at about show 8 or 9 into the 15 shows, i always get the feeling the end of these tours are a bit of an endurance for the band as opposed to the sheer enjoyment and energy witnessed at the beginning.
Who knows what approach the Stones will have towards live shows in the next few years, I'm sure there will be some changes out of necessity at some point, seeing Ronnie the other day gave me the impression this tour is going to be tough for him, hopefully I'm wrong.

What I'd like to see is for them is to just drop the setlist down to 7 or 8 songs? A good mix of some deep cuts, stuff from the new album (several there I hope) and round it out with a good selection of war horses to keep the tourists happy.

In and out within 40 minutes...I would even have time to schedule a late zoom meeting!

Date: May 12, 2022 22:53

Dan

There were $5 tickets for the Oct 14 2021 Sofi Stadium show though I am not really sure where they were made available.

And yes, there were discounts and price drops for other select shows. Some like Minneapolis didn't budge but my St Louis seat was almost certainly discounted.

5 dollar tickets? Really? Don't remember hearing that before.

Was your St.Louis seat discounted below face value? Flexing down Platinum prices is another thing.

Date: May 12, 2022 22:54

What would really suit you Treacle would be for the Stones to play Miss You for an extended remix on repeat for 40 minutes live and uninterrupted with Keith sitting it out backstage while the secret mystery guitarist plays all Keith's lines out front, then they all go home.winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-12 23:08 by keefriffhards.

Re: Fans shun tickets to Stones gigs MORE REASONS WHY
Posted by: KevinPenthouse ()
Date: May 13, 2022 08:13

daspyknows
KevinPenthouse
I have never EVER Seen a Stones Show in almost 50 years as bad as Brussels - not even close . . .i was shocked when I went on the site the other day . . . it looks like only 1/2 sold . . . and weeks since on sale . . .in the US worst case was 1-2 % and huger venues + in only recent years also in the boon dock added seats side stage . . . . crappy seats that generally sell eventually . . . and i am an etetnal optimist - not one of those "doom n gloom" posters that get off on others strife . . . its just one hit to the body for crazy mama realty

Did you actually look at the number of seats available. Aside from the obstructed view side stage sections most sections and other obstructed view areas there are limited seats.

YES I DID . . . two sections had only 2 seats sold in it 4Q & 2N ?? 1/2 the seats were only sold in sections 4e 4p 4f 2c 2c 2o. . . . then I stopped saw enough ugh sad smiley the un sold may not be 50% but I would bet ya a beer its 33 1/3 % unsold . . . . THAT is FUGGIN Insane . . .like I said I am not a doom n gloomer just pointing out the reality . . . . and I was stunned to see that - would have never guessed it or thought it. . . I have never seen a Stones show with that poor ticket sales . . . . ever . . . not even close

Re: Fans shun tickets to Stones gigs MORE REASONS WHY
Date: May 13, 2022 09:50

KevinPenthouse
daspyknows
KevinPenthouse
I have never EVER Seen a Stones Show in almost 50 years as bad as Brussels - not even close . . .i was shocked when I went on the site the other day . . . it looks like only 1/2 sold . . . and weeks since on sale . . .in the US worst case was 1-2 % and huger venues + in only recent years also in the boon dock added seats side stage . . . . crappy seats that generally sell eventually . . . and i am an etetnal optimist - not one of those "doom n gloom" posters that get off on others strife . . . its just one hit to the body for crazy mama realty

Did you actually look at the number of seats available. Aside from the obstructed view side stage sections most sections and other obstructed view areas there are limited seats.

YES I DID . . . two sections had only 2 seats sold in it 4Q & 2N ?? 1/2 the seats were only sold in sections 4e 4p 4f 2c 2c 2o. . . . then I stopped saw enough ugh sad smiley the un sold may not be 50% but I would bet ya a beer its 33 1/3 % unsold . . . . THAT is FUGGIN Insane . . .like I said I am not a doom n gloomer just pointing out the reality . . . . and I was stunned to see that - would have never guessed it or thought it. . . I have never seen a Stones show with that poor ticket sales . . . . ever . . . not even close

pretty sure they added 4q,4f,2c,2n later on. They are the worst tickets in the house and now also the cheapest. If anything this would tell the sales would have been better than expected,otherwise they would not add those blocks.

However this is one of the worse selling shows. I guess based on what i see 75/80% sold. They will be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-13 09:52 by PaintMonkeyManBlack.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2022 17:27

keefriffhards
What would really suit you Treacle would be for the Stones to play Miss You for an extended remix on repeat for 40 minutes live and uninterrupted with Keith sitting it out backstage while the secret mystery guitarist plays all Keith's lines out front, then they all go home.winking smiley

HEY!

You've read my file!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1316
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home