Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Robbie @ Wembley
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 19, 2005 14:35

tickets went on sale this morning. and he's sold out all FIVE nights already !!!

i wonder how many the Stones will attempt?

maybe if they charge a similar £40-£50 and have standing on the pitch they could manage 2 or 3

Re: Robbie @ Wembley
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 19, 2005 14:51

He's only sold out 4 nights. And that's a dumb thing to say. For 40 pounds the Stones can easily fill it more than five times. No doubt about that.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: November 19, 2005 15:47

I doubt the stones could do 4 or 5 nights at wembley anymore, last time they played the old stadium which was smaller they only did 2 nights. I think Bill Wyman left because he felt that when the stones did 5 nights at wembley they would never be bigger. Robbies popularity will start to dip soon, its his performance at Live 8 thats given him enough exposure to let him do that many nights. Same thing happened to Queen after Live aid.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 19, 2005 15:51

Belgium is sold out as well. Now that Robbie Williams has sold his tickets, the Stones can start selling theirs.

The ticketing service in Belgium sucked big time. Servers always buzy even when the only thing you had to do is to confirm your booking. Horrible. Good lesson for the Stones coming up. The Stones are maybe not as popular as Robbie Williams but still....it might be a good idea to get the tickets during pre-sale

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: November 19, 2005 15:53

It`s always easy to argue how many nights an act could play at a venue.

The fact is that,at present, Robbie Williams is capable of doing 5 nights
at Wembley.

Whether he can continue to fill stadia in years to come remains to be seen but in Europe he has filled stadia for the past 5 or so years.......without the exposure of Live 8.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-19 15:54 by GuessWho.

Date: November 19, 2005 15:57

And Robbie sold out 4 times the arena Amsterdam?

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: November 19, 2005 20:34

Who the F is Robbie Willians!?!

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: November 19, 2005 20:38

dont no, but id say he's tennybopper material

Date: November 19, 2005 21:53

he also holds the record for selling out consecutive nights at Knebworth too

not bad for an ex-boy band fella from Stoke

he seems to get bigger and bigger. with absolutely no sign of stopping

its bizarre

"And that's a dumb thing to say. For 40 pounds the Stones can easily fill it more than five times. No doubt about that"

yes Reptile. of course they would!

oo look. a pig just flew past my window ;o)

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 20, 2005 01:30

I've mentioned this here before, but I just don't understand how he can be so huge?! I wouldn't say he's unknown in North America but he's certainly wouldn't be considered a star. I bought the Live 8 DVD and I wasn't impressed with him at all.

Posted by: sater ()
Date: November 20, 2005 01:30

i saw him in 2003 and it's sad to say but he rockedsad smiley

Date: November 20, 2005 01:40

In Europe RW is probably the hottest live act at the moment.

I too have seen him live and he does deliver.

The Wembley sellouts are obviously a result of RW appealing to people acroos the board and not just to a narrow fan base.

The ticket prices are also very reasonable (compared to The Eagles stadium shows next year in the UK.) this means that people who aren`t diehard fans are more likely to go along and see what the fuss is all about.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2005 01:53

DGA35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've mentioned this here before, but I just don't
> understand how he can be so huge?! I wouldn't say
> he's unknown in North America but he's certainly
> wouldn't be considered a star. I bought the Live
> 8 DVD and I wasn't impressed with him at all.

you dont have to be big in North America to be a 'star' or 'huge'

Likewise theres plenty of acts who are 'huge' in North America who couldnt get arrested elsewhere.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: November 20, 2005 02:35

DGA35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've mentioned this here before, but I just don't
> understand how he can be so huge?! I wouldn't say
> he's unknown in North America but he's certainly
> wouldn't be considered a star.

You never allowed Robbie Williams to make it big over in the States.
And for that, if nothing else, you can be proud to call yourselves Americans.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2005 02:47

A fair point!!

Date: November 20, 2005 03:56

"You never allowed Robbie Williams to make it big over in the States.
And for that, if nothing else, you can be proud to call yourselves Americans"

or more to the point. the yanks don't understand the 'Britishness' of it all. there is a lot of camp humour in Robbie that i'm afraid our American cousins will never quite get

maybe like we never got Styx, Journey or Hootie & The Blowfish

somethings are just better left to their own kind

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 20, 2005 06:55

Hi Torn and Frayed.

I'm Canadian, not American. I agree with the other posters saying that you don't have to be big in North America to be a star. However, the US does make up approximately 50% of the pop market and any band's overall success is measured by their US popularity. Hence the reason half of any Stones world tour is in the States.

There are bands in Canada like The Tragically Hip that are huge here, yet relatively unknown in the States. I'm sure every country has a similar situation where there are musicians that are huge in their own country yet relatively unknown outside.

Regardless, any artist that can sell out five stadium shows has to be congratulated.

Posted by: ferrante9 ()
Date: November 20, 2005 09:25

just look at macca,....he is an international icon!!!!!!!

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: November 20, 2005 09:58

Lest we all forget, the lowest common denominator is always most prevalent in any scenario. The majority of people just like spectacle and fun, rather than authenticity, musicianship, craft of songwriting, mystic and depth of artistry.

Robbie Williams admittedly has some gifted songwriters working with him, knowing what to write to pitch to his fan-base and audience (that does not mean to say the songs, in the bigger scheme of things are any good!!!). He is undoubtedly a showman of some standing BUT he has a lousy voice with little character or appeal (as I witnessed at the London Live8 concert (yes, I was in the field, not watching at home) and questionable musical ability.

It IS disgusting that he can sell-out five nights at the new Wembley Stadium in the blink of an eye but best of luck to him.

SD

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 20, 2005 10:08

Cool guy, nice songs, but it's so boring. It's all been done before 40 years ago by John Lennon and so on...

I doubt he'll hold up as long as the Stones. In their golden years, the Stones had allot more people come to see them.

But it's so easy to ask yourself how many times someone would fill up a stadium. You just never know.

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: November 20, 2005 11:07

"You never allowed Robbie Williams to make it big over in the States.
And for that, if nothing else, you can be proud to call yourselves Americans"

Yep, god bless you all!!!!!!!

Date: November 20, 2005 12:45

I find some of the posts on this thread very childish..............

It`s as if people can`t cope with an act who can sell out major venues.

If RW was a flash in the pan he wouldn`t have been selling out such venues for the past 5 years.

It`s unlikely he`ll last at this level for a further 35 years however, don`t get all defensive because he is so popular just now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-20 13:58 by GuessWho.

Date: November 20, 2005 12:49

My point on this thread was to warn people that the ticketing service in Belgium sukcs. So get tickets during pre-sale!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: November 20, 2005 13:20

I don't think even U2 will hold up as long as the Stones! But I kinda like RW's attitude and yes it has a certain Britishness that not everybody understands. And he works with good tallented musicians. Even Waddy Wachtel worked with RW. Let the guy have his moment of fame.

By the way Reptile, it's not always good to compare somebody with the Stones. At their peak during the 73 European Tour they played most nights for crowds not bigger than 10.000 people!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 20, 2005 13:31

I went out to get my black crowes tickets yesterday morning and spend most of it amidst Robbie Williams adepts. I didn't know the presales for his concerts were gonna start yesterday and was amazed by the huge queues! And was struck by the different kind of people: young, old, concert diehards, gothic, college students, middle aged nerds, and so on. Offcourse no one ever heard of the Black crowes.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: November 20, 2005 14:14

I know what you mean Mr. Edward!
I saw this great photo on the Crowes Message Board yesterday

Says it all.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 20, 2005 14:22

Yep. Well, he succeded. Funny to see people wodnering who this williams is, why there are four stadium concerts for him and just two theatre shows by the Black Crowes. No clue to how popular robbie williams is in europe.

Nice picture. The bastard...

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: November 20, 2005 14:54

If you saw RW live once you don't have to see him again, cause ever show sounds the same. It's nice to see his concerts, but RW doesn't have the magic around him as the Stones have.
He is a good entertainer, but very boyish and his concerts are like "hey! let's have fun alltogether, be happy and sing along!". That's of course ok, but he will never do a concert which is so "in your face" like a Stones show. No doubt about that.
Also RW's last album sucked really bad, because he ended his cooperation with songwriter Guy Chambers.
His songs are slight fare. Nice melodies, but that's it.You won't remember him in 20 years. It is music that doesn't disturb you when you do your housework. Easy listening, nothing special.
Although the current album sucks, he is now at the peak of his career and from now on I guess he will start to drop.

I envy the US that they never let RW gain ground. That is also why I don't consider RW a worldstar. Without being huge in US you simply aren't.

Posted by: salar ()
Date: November 20, 2005 15:26

Hi,
RW is the best selling mega act in europe at the moment..this is a fact.
he is selling out stadiums and 80.000 crowd fiels within minutes.
He is the Superstar for the people aged 10-30...
In Cologne(germany) he sold 80.000 tix within 20 minutes yesterday...they added a second gig which is almost sold out either and they are thinking of making a third gig as well.

He is a great entertainer..even MickJagger once said: I like this guy.

for some reason he does not succeed in the USA....he is so less known that he refused to promote his new album in the US....by saying: Its not worth it...
they will not buy my records anyway.

All in all: RW is a fantastic showperformer....but musicaly average.
I never compare him to the Stones though....cause the Stones are in their own league....comparable only with themselfes.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 20, 2005 15:52

Robbie Williams makes music for people who basically don't like music.

By that, I mean the kind who buy their CDs from petrol station forecourts and who need to have their taste in music endorsed by the very fact that the artiste is popular. Better still if the whole family can go and see them on a nice day out.

Robbie fits this bill perfectly with a longevity blueprint as good if not better than Cliff Richard's. Should he want to last that long, that is.

As for his songs, well they're all about himself of course.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home